follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-29-2017, 01:28 PM   #1
Pho20

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
what trans and diff mounts to get

Changing the diff and trans oil I'd like to do any mounts that are readily available with solid mounts can y'all suggest a brand and what mounts to get??
Pho20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:35 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,824 Times in 16,428 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho20 View Post
Changing the diff and trans oil I'd like to do any mounts that are readily available with solid mounts can y'all suggest a brand and what mounts to get??
For average driving, there ain't nutten wrong with the mounts that came with the car.

Stiffer mounts will do nothing but allow the drivetrain to shake the frame more.

I suggest you just change the fluids and call it good.

(most likely there was nothing "wrong" with the old fluids anyway)

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
ichitaka05 (09-11-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 05:48 PM   #3
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Diff an trans mount is not then only for them to be good vibe stop. Also though meyby do stuff when look cool.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:53 PM   #4
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I'll copy and paste what a very helpful anon told me to help with sharper handling and shifting:

Sliding out has nothing to do with how stiff the drivetrain mounts are. That's purely suspension. If you throw
12K springs and massive swaybars on there, then yes. The suspension can't flex and the tires will break loose.
If you put solid drivetrain bushings everywhere and leave the suspension alone, all that'll happen is you'll take
all of the compliance out of the drivetrain and greatly increase NVH. You may increase wear on actual drivetrain
components because the housings can no longer move under load and all the stress goes on the components themselves.
You might chirp the tires if you shift like a gorilla, because the drivetrain can't flex to absorb the shock of a
rough shift.

Op, the second two letters of NVH are vibration and harshness. The engine moves around a lot. Putting it on sort
of stiffer mounts such as Perrin or STI will minimize its movement at the cost of increased noise, vibration,
and harshness being transmitted to the rest of the car. If you go with much stiffer mounts such as Cusco, it can
quickly become intolerable. A lot of people who initially went with Cusco shortly downgraded to Perrin, STI, or OEM.
Most people have only done engine mounts if they've installed an aftermarket header and overpipe and the pipes are
hitting the subframe when the engine flexes.

The transmission is connected to the engine, yes. So I wouldn't do solid mounts on anything. You want a little bit
of compliance in the system to account for shock to the drivetrain, occasional clumsy shifting, normal movement
under load, etc... OEM drivetrain bushings are very soft because they're a tradeoff between effectively
transmitting power to the wheels and making too much NVH for the occupants. It's up to you to decide if that line
is drawn in the correct place for your own preferences. For me, it isn't. When the engine twists under load I can
feel it in the shifter. When I shift I can feel the diff move around. I don't like that. The Whiteline transmission
bushing insert (there are others, that's just the one I bought) fixed the first issue. The transmission can still
move, it just takes more effort to do so. More power gets sent to the diff instead of being used to move the
transmission around. I also threw in an Energy Suspension rear shifter bushing, because it's $20 and I was already
under the car. I can't even say if it helped with shifter feel or not. It's stiffer than OEM, but how much did
that part really move anyways?

For the diff, I went with the diff carrier inserts, but not the subframe inserts. Either one will reduce, but not
eliminate, the OEM bushing compliance. Watch the below video; it's what convinced me to go with the diff carrier
inserts. It's officially for Whiteline's subframe bushing inserts. Watch how the subframe mounting points move
before and after bushing install. It didn't move a lot to begin with and now it moves less. Still moves, just not
as much. Then look at the two big vertical bushings in the middle of the subframe behind the swaybar. Those things
flop around like professional soccer players. Those two bushings and two smaller bushings at the front of the diff
are the diff carrier bushings. If you shift heavily and you hear a clunk from the rear of your car, you're hearing
the diff flop around on those bushings. Whiteline's inserts remove a lot of that compliance, but not all of it.
Putting power down to the wheels has gotten much smoother since installing those bushings, at the cost of a little
gear whine at low speeds. At high speeds road noise covers the whine. I didn't do both sets of bushings because I
specifically wanted to leave a little compliance in the system and not significantly increase NVH.

If you're after that super loud mechanical whine that you hear from actual race cars; what you're hearing are
straight cut gears in the transmission meshing. Most consumer cars have helical cut gears. Straight cut gears are
much stronger and can take a lot more abuse, which is why they're in race cars. They don't care if it's super loud
and harsh, because performance comes before comfort. In consumer cars, it doesn't. Very few people would buy a
street car that sounded like that from the factory.

Whiteline diff carrier bushing inserts
Whiteline transmission insert
Energy Suspension rear shifter bushing
MTEC shift springs (very highly recommend these. It strengthens the shifter's return to center.)

If you're after gear whine, do the diff bushing inserts. If you like those but you'd like a little more, then do
the subframe inserts.
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NRXRaptor For This Useful Post:
TofuJoe (07-30-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 08:45 AM   #5
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
I have the TRD motor and gearbox mounts. I got them because in some situations my overpipe was hitting my subframe. You definitely get more shake and vibration from the motor and you get a noticeable increase in noise from the gearbox. Other than stopping the overpipe hitting the subframe and increasing NVH they haven't changed how the car drives.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:19 PM   #6
Pho20

Well I did them I did the Perrin transmission support the whiteline little wedge thing under it
The rear shifter bushing the diff mounts and the rear subframe also got whiteline inserts it increased nvh a LOT when I started the car for the first time I thought I broke something

No driving impressions until I take it up the mountian
Old 09-02-2017, 12:49 PM   #7
Pho20

I have put about 500mi on them now initially in town driving from the shop to my house I hated it it's way louder in the cabin especially from 3500 on up at 3500rpm I get this weird resonance that sounds like the cars falling apart lol 20 year old pho20 would have loved this but late 30s pho20 was annoyed by all the engine noise. There is lots of gear whine and you can hear the shifter click into place (both sound cool as shit)

Driving impressions man it shifts a lot better now it's so fun rowing through the gears I find myself making unnecessary shifts just to hear that snick of it going into gear

Through the mountains I have a lot of long sweepers that are high speed (top of 5th gear) before the bushings if I would get on the gas through the turns the car would start to push and if I let off of the gas I would notice the front would start to tuck in this eliminated that it's much more consistent throughout the turn reguardless of throttle input im sure this would be much more noticeable at the track

All in all for me it was worth the tradeoff in nvh for more precise handling/shifting but it's definitely not for everyone if I wasn't driving through mountain passes daily and was commuting in the city I'd really give it some thought
The Following User Says Thank You to Pho20 For This Useful Post:
Somerandom18 (09-02-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 08:07 PM   #8
Pho20

Nvh has all but gone away (or I've gotten used to it) loving this so much I've decided to do the whiteline steering rack bushings and Perrin steering rack lock downs
Old 09-11-2017, 08:27 PM   #9
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Nvh has all but gone away (or I've gotten used to it) loving this so much I've decided to do the whiteline steering rack bushings and Perrin steering rack lock downs
^This, you just got used to it... but hey, as long as you love it, that's all it matters
Old 09-12-2017, 12:31 AM   #10
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
That's good to hear. I'm doing exhaust before I do other things (still gotta do overpipe and frontpipe) but I'm glad I helped someone by posting some copypasta from a much more knowledgeable anon
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #11
Pho20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRXRaptor View Post
That's good to hear. I'm doing exhaust before I do other things (still gotta do overpipe and frontpipe) but I'm glad I helped someone by posting some copypasta from a much more knowledgeable anon
I'm glad I didn't get the solid bushings the inserts are the way to go for my situation