follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-12-2023, 04:27 PM   #1
jaygushi

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S Release series 1.0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Diff Fluid Leaking after Axle and Axle Seal Replacement

My car currently is leaking what appears to be diff fluid near the passenger side drive axle and diff axle seal. Anyone have any experience on what might be the issue?

A week ago (12/2), my driver side axle was making clicking noises on hard right hander turns so I replaced both side axles because I might as well replace both while I'm at it. (I used new ebay axles) When replacing my passenger side CV axle, an elastic metal spring-like band came out the diff which I later learned that is part of the axle seal (I think I may have damaged the axle seal when prying the axle out from the diff). I applied high temp grease on both axle splines and I reinstalled a new axle without the band and a couple days later I found diff fluid leaking in my garage floor.

Since I suspected this was an axle seal issue, on (12/8), I sourced 2 axle seals (2 just in case I break one again), took passenger side axle out and made sure I punched in the new axle seal against the metal blacking completely flush (punched with old axle seal sandwiched on top so I'm not hammering new part). Drained diff fluid (thankfully a lot came out, looked like I haven't leaked a substantial amount) and refilled with Motul 75w90

A day later while I was running sessions at the track I found out that I am leaking what appears to be diff fluid again (could it be leaking and stopped doing more sessions. I say appears to be because maybe it could be the grease from cv boot, but I'm not entirely sure. Lack of heat protection from TRD exhaust to diff? Improper installation of axle seal?

TLDR: Replaced both side axles -> passenger diff side leaking -> suspected damaged axle seal -> replaced new axle seal -> still leaking

Attaching pictures for reference. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Images

jaygushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 08:48 AM   #2
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
I suspect the new seal is damaged. I had a similar problem in the past and ended up taking mine to a shop to have the seal replaced. There's a spring that holds the seal against the axle that can be damaged/deformed when installing the axle. If that happens you'll get a leak like this.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whataboutbob For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (12-13-2023), Wally86 (12-14-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 04:13 PM   #3
jaygushi

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S Release series 1.0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutbob View Post
I suspect the new seal is damaged. I had a similar problem in the past and ended up taking mine to a shop to have the seal replaced. There's a spring that holds the seal against the axle that can be damaged/deformed when installing the axle. If that happens you'll get a leak like this.
Yeah my origninal old seal lost its spring and when I replaced the new axle seal made sure that was intact.

I did however, not lube the inside nor seal the outside of the axle seal to the diff with RTV (not sure if this is necessary, but this video states so ->

When putting the new axle seal back in, I also used the old axle seal to tap it inside to not damage the new seal, but I do think I may have pushed in too far in. I pushed in to the point where it is flush against the shiny metal inner ring of the diff.

Really puzzled what the issue is, but thank you for your insight.
jaygushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 01:53 PM   #4
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
RTV isn't necessary for install.

You could have also damaged the seal itself while installing the new axle. That's how I damaged mine first go around and woke up the next day to a puddle of diff fluid.

IMO - Pull the axle and replace it again
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M0nk3y For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (01-06-2024)