follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-29-2018, 10:23 AM   #1
LoXodonte

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013 White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Ergonomic considerations for big older dudes

I try to be a health conscious person; I use a sit stand desk and try to comply to ergonomic standards which are highly available for office work.

It would seem like anything that consumes a decent chunk of our time should give consideration to ergonomics. I spend a total of about 50 minutes in my FRS each day making my commute. And I probably get in and out my car car8-10 times a day. I've owned the car for a little over a year and I've developed some knee pain which I noticed intensifies during the commute. I'm 38, 6 2, and about 210lbs.

I've noticed that I've molded my behavior getting in and out of the car in my cars best interest. The previous owner had scuffed the door near the driverside speaker by continually rubbing it with their foot. When I first got the car I noticed I was doing the same thing. Well, I quickly amended that habbit but the unfortunate result is a game of twister when climbing in, and out of the car. The issue is exacerbated in confined spaces; such as narrow parking situations.

My seat position is all the way back on the rails, but the seat angle is relatively upright. The upright position allows my arms to comfortably reach the steering wheel, but my gd hair is touching the ceiling and my line of site seems way too high on the windshield. All of these factor have led me to ponder I sad potentiality... that I'm too damn big, and too damn old for this car! That's not a concession one enjoys entertaining. Before I sell this fun lil bastard for a bloated challenger I thought I'd see if I was the only big old guy trying to make things work with this car. Perhaps there are some strategies I haven't considered.
LoXodonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:32 AM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
@Ultramaroon care to comment?
Old 10-29-2018, 10:35 AM   #3
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
I know a guy who is much bigger, and much older than you that DDs a twin. He hangs out here.

Edit: shoot, tcoat beat me
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Don't know what to tell you.

I'm 43, 6'2" and 195 (that 15lbs may be the difference), and I don't have any issues. I do have long'ish arms - I wear a 44 long jacket - so my seat is all the way back and the seatback is also back a fair bit. Even if I move the seatback more upright for AutoX or track driving though, my helmet doesn't touch the ceiling (maybe get a haircut? ).

I do scuff the door card a bit getting in and out if I'm in a tight parking space and can't open the door all the way, but I guess I just don't worry about it.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:21 AM   #5
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
And seat padding, back, lumbar support, under the knee supports to change leg angle? Bunch of stuff out there for car seat position changing/comfort.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:16 PM   #6
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
When getting into your car, watch your left foot ( assuming LHD) and try to keep it pointing parallel to your hips. Also, try bending your left knee as little as possible, you may find opportunities to distribute the stress of entering/exiting the car if you're cognizant of these behaviors and seek to adjust them. Make sure as you lean into the car, your left foot leaves its contact patch to avoid this twist as you sit down. Much easier said than done.

Everything feels strange at first, but I had this exact same pain, and changing my left foot pivot ultimately resolved it.

EDIT: Also, before exiting the vehicle, put the steering wheel all the way up, it'll help to accommodate this change in behavior. Just have to put it down/up each time which can be obnoxious.
EDITEDIT:: And do be careful of having the seat perfectly upright, you may start introducing sciatica pain and be -much- worse off.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:21 PM   #7
LoXodonte

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013 White
Thanks DarkPira7e, I will attempt to give your suggestions a shot although I'm having a difficult time visualizing the movement. I am a left handed driver, I'll try the parallel movements with minimized knee bend to see where that gets me.

Stevesnj; do you have some example product links? I'm curious about the knee support in particular.

As another random tidbit; I believe I have an unusually long upperbody perhaps due to a sixth lumbar vertebra. My brother; who owns an mx-5 was laughing it up one eve as we observed how much taller I was, but only when sitting down lol.
LoXodonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:25 PM   #8
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoXodonte View Post
Thanks DarkPira7e, I will attempt to give your suggestions a shot although I'm having a difficult time visualizing the movement. I am a left handed driver, I'll try the parallel movements with minimized knee bend to see where that gets me.
https://www.wikihow.com/Sit-in-a-Car-Without-Back-Pain The first step shown here is what I'm trying to explain, haha. Sitting hips first is the best way to explain it, I like how this article puts it. I know full well that with this car, it is nearly impossible.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
LoXodonte (11-02-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 01:52 PM   #9
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoXodonte View Post
I try to be a health conscious person; I use a sit stand desk and try to comply to ergonomic standards which are highly available for office work.

It would seem like anything that consumes a decent chunk of our time should give consideration to ergonomics. I spend a total of about 50 minutes in my FRS each day making my commute. And I probably get in and out my car car8-10 times a day. I've owned the car for a little over a year and I've developed some knee pain which I noticed intensifies during the commute. I'm 38, 6 2, and about 210lbs.

I've noticed that I've molded my behavior getting in and out of the car in my cars best interest. The previous owner had scuffed the door near the driverside speaker by continually rubbing it with their foot. When I first got the car I noticed I was doing the same thing. Well, I quickly amended that habbit but the unfortunate result is a game of twister when climbing in, and out of the car. The issue is exacerbated in confined spaces; such as narrow parking situations.

My seat position is all the way back on the rails, but the seat angle is relatively upright. The upright position allows my arms to comfortably reach the steering wheel, but my gd hair is touching the ceiling and my line of site seems way too high on the windshield. All of these factor have led me to ponder I sad potentiality... that I'm too damn big, and too damn old for this car! That's not a concession one enjoys entertaining. Before I sell this fun lil bastard for a bloated challenger I thought I'd see if I was the only big old guy trying to make things work with this car. Perhaps there are some strategies I haven't considered.
First off, I suggest you screw your car's best interest as far as getting in and out, just treat the scuffing area with something slippery and let it take care of itself.

Second thing, I suggest you do your best to find parking spaces where you can open the door all the way.

Third off, take your time getting in and out of the car, your knee will thank you.

I ain't big but I'm relatively old.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (10-29-2018), RToyo86 (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 02:19 PM   #10
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
First off, I suggest you screw your car's best interest as far as getting in and out, just treat the scuffing area with something slippery and let it take care of itself.

Second thing, I suggest you do your best to find parking spaces where you can open the door all the way.

Third off, take your time getting in and out of the car, your knee will thank you.

humfrz
Relatively? Compared to the sun?
gravitylover (10-29-2018), humfrz (10-29-2018), RToyo86 (10-29-2018), Ultramaroon (10-30-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 02:29 PM   #11
sodjer

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Send a message via MSN to sodjer
I'm 37, 6'5" and back up to 350lbs () with a host of knee and ankle problems, and have no issues DD'ing the BRZ. Though my weight might be up there I do go to the gym 5-6 days a week (just proof you can't out-train your diet lol). I do admit I'd like a bit more headroom, it's fine for a daily but I doubt I'll ever be able to get in there with a helmet on.

If it's not already, maybe lowering the seat will help? Press down on the lever a few times.

I've found entering hips first makes it harder to get in and out. I generally step into the car, bend slightly and sit down, bringing my left leg in afterwards. Only issue is on windy days it'll blow the door into my leg if I don't hold it...

I gave up on keeping the speaker area scuff free as I'm usually wearing my knee brace that scratches it. If it gets too bad I'll just replace the surround.
sodjer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sodjer For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-29-2018), Tcoat (10-29-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 03:00 AM   #12
e30kawi

Drives: CWP limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Is the knee pain only when getting in, out, or both? Maybe your legs are just tightening up as you drive? I have similar dimensions and age, with a destroyed femur, and have no problems getting in or out.

That being said, I prefer to sit up closer to the wheel while I drive and slide the seat back the few clicks before I exit. I'm not as stretched out when I drive or leaned forward to get to the wheel.
e30kawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:43 PM   #13
TooSlow

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

humfrz
I couldn't agree more with being able to open your door fully. In my garage I can only open the door half way and I have to do gymnastics to get in and out. Outside where I can open the door fully, I can just slip in and out without much effort. Of course being 5'6 and about 130 lbs helps too.
TooSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TooSlow For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 07:45 PM   #14
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow View Post
I couldn't agree more with being able to open your door fully. In my garage I can only open the door half way and I have to do gymnastics to get in and out. Outside where I can open the door fully, I can just slip in and out without much effort. Of course being 5'6 and about 130 lbs helps too.
Welp, back-in-the-day, when I was 5'6" and weighed 130 lbs., I didn't even have to open the door -

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back, commute, ergonomics, knee, seats