follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #141
RAWR BRZ

Drives: 2010 BMW M3, 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So I just had the warranty work denied because of modifications.

All I have on my car is:
Eibach R2 (I believe the external reservoir scared them)
Robispec rear tophats for more suspension travel
Robispec front control arms
HKS drop in air filter
Sound tube delete
Stainless steel brake lines
Carbotech xp10 brake pads
JDM exhaust tips
Hankook RS3

As you can see no modifications unless you want to argue the air filter and sound tube delete, everything towards the engine is stock.

Subaru tech line said they had never heard of this issue. My dealer is asking me to give them 150 for the engine teardown to find out the problem and I am sure they will find a problem and after they do find a problem with the injector seals they will warranty it and it will cost me nothing/refund 150. That is if they don't play any funny games and try to screw me over.

Question is should I buy the parts and fix it myself OR pay my dealer the 150 and have them find the issue (if they dont try to screw me) and refund me my 150 after they find the injector seal issue and perhaps document it to help hurry up the posting of the TSB.
RAWR BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #142
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWR BRZ View Post

All I have on my car is:
HKS drop in air filter
Sound tube delete
JDM exhaust tips
Hankook RS3

As you can see no modifications unless you want to argue the air filter and sound tube delete, everything towards the engine is stock.

Subaru tech line said they had never heard of this issue. My dealer is asking me to give them 150 for the engine teardown to find out the problem and I am sure they will find a problem and after they do find a problem with the injector seals they will warranty it and it will cost me nothing/refund 150. That is if they don't play any funny games and try to screw me over.

Question is should I buy the parts and fix it myself OR pay my dealer the 150 and have them find the issue (if they dont try to screw me) and refund me my 150 after they find the injector seal issue and perhaps document it to help hurry up the posting of the TSB.
Don't trust them. They will most certainly take your money. Make them do the tear down on their own dime. Under the Magnuson Moss act (with is federally enforced), they cannot deny warranty work unless they can prove the modifications caused the problem. Seeing as it's clear as day that this is false, they'd lose.

Also, I think you need a special tool to swap the seals. One that only dealers have right now.

I say push back, threaten law suit.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #143
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,300 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
Under the Magnuson Moss act (with is federally enforced), they cannot deny warranty work unless they can prove the modifications caused the problem.
Wrong.

Magnuson Moss only covers replacement parts; oil filters, air filters, spark plugs, etc.

Automotive factory warranties only cover manufacturing or design defects. They don't cover any other failure; abuse, accident, lack of maintenance, etc. Warranty coverage can be denied for many things.

I'm still confused as to why everyone's panties are in such a bunch...everything posted here as to why this engine failed is just a wild guess until we have some facts. Everything else is just workbench guesses and accusations.
tripjammer (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #144
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
Wrong.

Magnuson Moss only covers replacement parts; oil filters, air filters, spark plugs, etc.

Automotive factory warranties only cover manufacturing or design defects. They don't cover any other failure; abuse, accident, lack of maintenance, etc. Warranty coverage can be denied for many things.

I'm still confused as to why everyone's panties are in such a bunch...everything posted here as to why this engine failed is just a wild guess until we have some facts. Everything else is just workbench guesses and accusations.
Pretty sure the direct injector seal failure due to insufficient/faulty ECU mapping would fall under the "design defect" umbrella, as evidenced by Toyota's TSB acknowledging as much.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #145
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
Pretty sure the direct injector seal failure due to insufficient/faulty ECU mapping would fall under the "design defect" umbrella, as evidenced by Toyota's TSB acknowledging as much.
This.

Considering how this car is marketed, I would say that a motor failing under marketed use is a design defect.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2forme For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #146
Opie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
Except the engine that failed was in a Subaru...not a Toyota (Scion), there is no concrete evidence that the Subaru mapping has, or had that same issue.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #147
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Except the engine that failed was in a Subaru...not a Toyota (Scion), there is no concrete evidence that the Subaru mapping has, or had that same issue.
Now you're just being silly. It's the same mapping. Subaru has apparently already released updates in other countries that change the mapping as @epifan or @mad_sb has confirmed with the Japanese romdump, if I recall correctly.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #148
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Are you suggesting that there is a difference in mapping between the 2 cars?

That seems like a pretty far fetched idea...I'm not going to claim there won't be differences in how the Chassis control module may function based on different trims/available options,

Perhaps even different access protocols (which seems to be disproven since techstream works on BRz's...)

But it seems highly illogical that subaru (the manufacturer of the vehicle like it or not discuss elsewhere) would put safer maps in the Toyota's and Knowingly ship their cars with incomplete ign. retard tables...yes i am aware that the DI system comes from Toyota, I also would tend to believe it would be in toyota's best interest not to destroy a bunch of Subaru motors that say Toyota on the engine cover...

We all understand that they are separate companies with their own rolls of red tape, but let's not pretend like they aren't the same car at the end of the day....including the same motor and the same ECU.
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #149
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

All I have on my car is:
HKS drop in air filter
Sound tube delete
JDM exhaust tips
Hankook RS3

BULL

Your car is at Irvine? They did our first engine, and I will be MORE than happy to get you a copy of our repair order.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #150
Opie

Garage
I'm simply saying that Subaru has their engineers, and Toyota/Scion has theirs. There are TSB's that apply to one of the twins but not the other so it would seem that there are differences including the mapping that could be different.

I wouldn't just assume that everything except the front bumpers and the trim levels are the same.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #151
RAWR BRZ

Drives: 2010 BMW M3, 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
BULL

Your car is at Irvine? They did our first engine, and I will be MORE than happy to get you a copy of our repair order.
South Coast Subaru. Can you email it to me? I am there right now. About to go talk to them.
RAWR BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #152
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
South Coast Subaru. Can you email it to me? I am there right now. About to go talk to them.
It's not something that I have on hand... I'm at work >.<

I know Ferdie is aware of the problem, and he's told me that they've done several of these already, and this was last year...
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #153
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:

All I have on my car is:
HKS drop in air filter
Sound tube delete
JDM exhaust tips
Hankook RS3

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly went wrong with your car?
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #154
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly went wrong with your car?
He had the famous "firecracker popping" noise from the DI collar failing. I'm going through the same thing right now with Toyota.
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TemeCal For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (05-30-2013)