follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 09-01-2019, 10:35 PM   #15
Busybee

Drives: BRZ limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
yeah, if you're only ever washing and waxing, it does nothing to get rid of the spots, scratches, and other paint imperfections. at least once a year, it's always a good idea to strip it all down with some dish soap and a clay bar, polish it (i like using wolfgang uber compound, but to each their own), and then wax.

Will definitely do this as I am gonna improve my skills using the polisher.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mazda 323F BA 1997 - Overseas
Mazda 323 BG 1994 - Sold
Mazda 323 BG 1991 - Sold
Busybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:38 AM   #16
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
A lot of guys prefer random orbital(da) buffers, i prefer rotary buffers. If the paint is in good shape a da is fine, but if the paint needs extra work for scratches/scuffs, a rotary usually works better to move the paint around in specific orientations(i learned on a rotary specifically because of this. In dealer detailing shops, it can be faster). But rotaries can also burn through the paint if you're not careful, where da's are more dummy-proof.
Busybee (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 09:29 PM   #17
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@Busybee i have a few tips that might help

Apply wax as lightly as possible using the included foam pad. The thicker you apply it, the harder it is to remove. You'll learn a few techniques after practice. Don't let the wax dry, just work a section at a time, (like half a panel) wait 1 minute, and then remove using a few nice microfiber towels.

Meguiar's waxes are very nice, Gold Class really has a nice glow to it. Try their ultimate wax as well.

You can get Meguiar's Supreme Shine towels in a 3-pack on amazon for 4.00 as an add-on item, great to pick up when you're shopping there if you use prime. Great towels.

Buffer kits are very nice. The Porter Cable DA I use works great for doing an ultra-fine, ultra light polish. Check this one out, the Porter Cable 7424XP : https://www.autogeek.net/po.html

Meguiar's makes an entire line of quality polishing pads and fine polishes like M205 Ultra finishing polish. Their DMC5 microfiber pad is my go-to for doing an easy polish. Meguiar's makes 3", 5", and 6" backing plates for these kinds of DA polishers so you can change different size pads out for different applications.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radroach For This Useful Post:
Busybee (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 02:43 PM   #18
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Drives: 2019 86 GT; 2018 BMW S1000RR
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busybee View Post
Will definitely do this as I am gonna improve my skills using the polisher.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Bee

I'd second the recommended da polisher of the porter cable, that is the standard go to da polisher that you can be confident will last and do a great job.

You really don't need it though. I've never had one and polished and waxed all my own cars regularly for almost 30 years. It's really of most benefit if you have really scratched paint that needs lots of polishing or you are going to be waxing cars every day. For normal waxing of a relatively new and good condition cars it doesn't make much difference, just an expense and another thing you will hardly use to clutter your garage.
The Following User Says Thank You to xdavidx For This Useful Post:
Busybee (09-04-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 03:31 PM   #19
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,125 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I'll add to the dishsoap strip approach. I'd add it to your regular soap when washing if you chose that route. It will boost the cleaning power without risking more scratches. Dish soap on is not a good car soap. There isn't much lubrication between the wash mitt and the paint which can result in scratches or marring. For correction purposes it's probably fine. I wouldn't use it on good condition paint personally.

If you just want to deconaminate the paint, I would wash it as normal. Then I'd just use clay and an iron remover, like sonax fallout, or carpro iron-x. Iron x smells absolutely terrible but does a good job stripping away anything that clay doesn't get.

I have a porter cable DA that I purchased years ago. It's a good entry level polisher. It doesn't have a long throw of more expensive DA's on the market which will limit its effectiveness when tackling deeper scratches. DA's are pretty much foolproof to use. It's nearly impossible to make mistake and burn your paint.

Rotary as soundman mentioned is the most effective way to polish, but requires more finess. It builds heat fast and you can ruin your clear coat if you aren't on top of it.

As for protection.. you have so many options nowa days it's pretty overwhelming. I tend to steer away from paste wax as my car is a DD, and there are products out there easier/faster to apply which will give longer lasting UV protection.
Turtle wax new 'ice' line is pretty fantastic. They have a product called "ice seal n' shine'. It's a sprayable hybrid wax, applied over clean dry paint.
one application should last you months.

I have been playing with P&S beadmaker. A sealant which is a good dry-aid. It gives your paint a incredible slickness and the gloss levels are insane.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
Busybee (09-04-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 11:02 PM   #20
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
forgot to add this last time.

https://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

detailing isn't a voodoo art. it's simply working a pliable material to produce a desired result. it's really not all that far off from working with clay.

the first and most important thing to keep in mind is that there are a billion products out there, and they all do the same thing in slightly different ways. everyone's got their favorites, and always keep that in mind while discussing specific methods and materials.
Busybee (09-04-2019), RToyo86 (09-04-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 06:12 PM   #21
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@soundman98 I agree but its important to distinguish between the different types of products, applications, and methods. People who want to take care of their paint could use some tips.

I prefer using full bucket washes and lots of water, and generous monthly applications of silicone waxes and wipedowns with lots of clean microfibers, all mostly store-brand Meguiar's products. Stacks of nice microfiber towels, all washed and cleaned weekly.

Some might like the wash-n-wax and spray-and-wipe stuff, I don't particularly think its as good as going full wash, hand wax, and final buffing with clean towels.

Other people might use different methods like Optimum brand waterless wash, and optimum permanent coatings; their methods are probably popular in places where waterless wash is required.

Machine polishing advice is simple, use the lightest possible product / pad you need for the application. Fresh paint on Subarus is
very fine. Meguiar's M205 is a great example of a consumer-grade ultra finishing polish, and their DMC5 pad is very soft. Lake Country White and Green pads are also very soft. I'd advise against using Ultimate Compound as its much more aggressive.

Last edited by radroach; 09-07-2019 at 06:26 PM.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to radroach For This Useful Post:
Busybee (09-08-2019), Leonardo (09-12-2019), soundman98 (09-07-2019)