follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 07-15-2019, 06:59 AM   #15
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FWIW, I have yet to see a twin show up at track on a trailer. They are all preforming double duty that I’VE seen. I’m sure there are some dedicated track cars out there but the majority drive people to work or are weekend toys as well.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 07:58 AM   #16
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
You know there are sub sections for other topics right? Maybe something like "Other Vehicles" may be a better place for this topic? Maybe?

You are "looking at" a toy that costs at least $270,000 and is not street legal? Expensive hobby.

Did you forget that there are other countries in the world? Countries where this is road legal?

What an asinine stance to have on something that you clearly don't know a whole lot about. Between shitting all over the OP who is just excited he had a great track day experience and making yourself look like a dweeb by applying the HTA to his place of residence where it doesn't apply in any shape or form, it's clear you're having a bad day and should maybe use that log out button.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
rennlistuser3 (07-16-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 09:35 AM   #17
Atropine

Drives: 2021 Toyota Supra 2020 4Runner
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
When the OP ended a post with "thanks bye"

That is about as low key snarky as you can get.

This forum is full of day dreamers and that is fine.

The Twins are made for regular people like us to pretend we are "borderline pro racers" and do wheel to wheel racing.

Some on here are indeed that.

Some are people who barely finish in the top half at AutoX.

Most are people who buy cosmetic stuff and shit post about track days and AutoX.

I am definitely a combination of those last 2 groups. I like to bench race and brag about that one time I finished in the top 3 at a group of 30+. When in reality...that one time...the instructors didn't compete and the AutoX day was strictly for newbies (less than 5 sessions before). I normally finish in the dead middle of my group. Good enough to be better than 90% of the "regular drivers" and dead last when put against the semi-pros of the Seattle area.

Anyway, TCoat was just pointing out that this particular thread belongs in "Off Topic" or "Other Cars".
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #18
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atropine View Post
When the OP ended a post with "thanks bye"

That is about as low key snarky as you can get.

This forum is full of day dreamers and that is fine.

The Twins are made for regular people like us to pretend we are "borderline pro racers" and do wheel to wheel racing.

Some on here are indeed that.

Most are people who buy cosmetic stuff and shit post about track days and AutoX.

I am definitely a combination of those last 2 groups. I like to bench race and brag about that one time I finished in the top 3 at a group of 30+. When in reality...that one time...the instructors didn't compete and the AutoX day was strictly for newbies (less than 5 sessions before). I normally finish in the dead middle of my group. Good enough to be better than 90% of the "regular drivers" and dead last when put against the semi-pros of the Seattle area.

Anyway, TCoat was just pointing out that this particular thread belongs in "Off Topic" or "Other Cars".

Atropine (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 12:35 PM   #19
MaverickMonk

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atropine View Post

I'll have you know at my first autoX school I finished within FIVE SECONDS of my instructors time! I'm practically Lewis Hamilton!
MaverickMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaverickMonk For This Useful Post:
Atropine (07-15-2019), Tcoat (07-15-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 04:29 PM   #20
rennlistuser3

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
All I said in my first response was that there is a section for other vehicles. This is an other vehicle not a BRZ.

I then pointed out that the car here (if it ever does for sale at all) is incredibly expensive and would only be good for a track. This makes it a very expensive hobby. That is a fact not an opinion, any form of insult or a statement about your desire of one.

You got pissy.

Then you asked what wasn't street legal and I responded.

You got pissy again.

There is no "debate".

The Twins are not a "toy" in that they can be used the same as any other car. Even if you strip them down and use them just as a track car making them a toy then you are no where near the $270K price tag which makes them a very cheap hobby in comparison.

Socializing does not consist of simply receiving comments that support what you want to hear.

Edit: For some reason I thought you were in Canada. I looked back through the 100 or so PMs from you and realized my error. It is indeed street legal in your state but still bloody expensive for a toy. It is fun that you make a thread about praising the back seat in the BRZ and then want a one seat "car" though.
oh my bad, I guess your tone was lost in "online posting translation"

anyway no harm done. I guess there was a misunderstanding. I apologize for my part.

If this thread does not belong here, moderators can delete, else I'll keep on replying to any relevant posts to the topic.

On this post in particular, for pointing out the thread on rear seats, yes I do love having rear seats in the FT86 and I do love the FT86 and think it's near perfect. But even when something is near perfect, it does not mean that you don't want to experience other things in life even if you perceive them as being less than what you have subjectively.
rennlistuser3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:37 PM   #21
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Down here in Florida, anything goes. There's a growing "carting" community here that buys wrecked cars at auction, strips them down to the bare minimum and welds cages on them. All the tax office cares about is that the VIN is correct and you pay the fees. All the cops care about is that you have the minimum equipment, basically windshield wipers and the mandated lights.

And if you don't even want to have to comply with the minimum automobile standards, there are now conversion kits for the Polaris Slingshot to give it four wheels. A local guy here is building kits and registering them as motorcycles.

So to query the point

I thought the reason the slingshot WAS classified as a "bike"was due to the 3 wheels. which is to why they can get away with bar mins in safety and blah de blah

so wouldnt a four wheel conversion take them out of the motorcycle classing?

or is it more like if the vin checks taxes paid and you got turn signals just drive it? I guess it could still be insured as a motorcycle

also I never knew that conversion existed.... might have to look into that
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:02 PM   #22
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
So to query the point

I thought the reason the slingshot WAS classified as a "bike"was due to the 3 wheels. which is to why they can get away with bar mins in safety and blah de blah

so wouldnt a four wheel conversion take them out of the motorcycle classing?
That's what one would expect.

However, when you register a car here in Florida, the only inspection is a VIN verification, and that's only necessary if you bring a vehicle in from out of state. If you buy one that is already registered here, there's no inspection at all. And even if you need a VIN verification, you can have a notary do it so that the tax office employee never even sees the vehicle.

So there's no inspection mechanism to tell you it's not legal.

That leaves traffic enforcement. Can a cop pull you over for driving a car with a motorcycle tag? How, when the VIN verifies that it's a motorcycle?

Can a cop ticket you for not having the correct safety equipment? Again, how, when the VIN verifies that it's a motorcycle?

Can a cop ticket you for illegally modifying your motorcycle? Possibly, but so far I haven't seen any state law that says you can't do it.

Thus it seems to be a legal hole that the converted Slingshot fits right into. There doesn't seem to be anything official saying it's illegal, and there doesn't seem to be an enforcement mechanism even if it is.

If these things were to become a problem, the state legislature could always pass legislation that outlawed it after you spent the money on the conversion. However, this is a state that is staunchly against inspections and allows golf carts to be driven legally on residential streets. I seriously doubt our lawmakers are going to bother, and the cops don't seem to want the paperwork.

That's just Florida, though. People in other states with stricter motor vehicle regulations have run into problems. I know that thing is pretty much illegal as it sits in Pennsylvania. In some states you can't keep the motorcycle registration, but you can convert it over to a home-built, which exempts you from some equipment rules but not others. IIRC Missouri does this, but they require you to pull the VIN tag off and throw it away, replacing it with a new VIN, VIN plate and title issued by the state. So there are some ways around it.

Apparently someone has developed 300 HP and 600 HP turbo kits for them. Now the fun thing seems to be to turbocharge a quad with widened rims and end up with a total weight of something like 1400 lbs.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (07-17-2019), Tcoat (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 08:53 PM   #23
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennlistuser3 View Post
oh my bad, I guess your tone was lost in "online posting translation"

anyway no harm done. I guess there was a misunderstanding. I apologize for my part.

If this thread does not belong here, moderators can delete, else I'll keep on replying to any relevant posts to the topic.

On this post in particular, for pointing out the thread on rear seats, yes I do love having rear seats in the FT86 and I do love the FT86 and think it's near perfect. But even when something is near perfect, it does not mean that you don't want to experience other things in life even if you perceive them as being less than what you have subjectively.
Too late. Made your bed with your little digs so now you can sleep in it.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:20 PM   #24
rennlistuser3

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Too late. Made your bed with your little digs so now you can sleep in it.

Oh well, I hope I survive life without you

I might go get that Mustang after-all because I pissed off the FT86 forum guru

Anyway Tcoat, I honestly think you're a good dude. I run into a lot of very intelligent people day-in-day-out and one thing I seem to always notice is that they tend to be temperamental. This is you.

If you ever decide to cool down, I have no hard feelings.
rennlistuser3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:35 PM   #25
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Started looking at those 4 wheeled Polaris. Seen this...So much want.

Also a video of it: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFRurNdHKuI[/ame]
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
rennlistuser3 (07-18-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 09:36 PM   #26
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennlistuser3 View Post

Oh well, I hope I survive life without you

I might go get that Mustang after-all because I pissed off the FT86 forum guru

Anyway Tcoat, I honestly think you're a good dude. I run into a lot of very intelligent people day-in-day-out and one thing I seem to always notice is that they tend to be temperamental. This is you.

If you ever decide to cool down, I have no hard feelings.
Still responding? You have a bizarre definition of "won't".
Old 07-17-2019, 12:15 PM   #27
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
That's what one would expect.

However, when you register a car here in Florida, the only inspection is a VIN verification, and that's only necessary if you bring a vehicle in from out of state. If you buy one that is already registered here, there's no inspection at all. And even if you need a VIN verification, you can have a notary do it so that the tax office employee never even sees the vehicle.

So there's no inspection mechanism to tell you it's not legal.

That leaves traffic enforcement. Can a cop pull you over for driving a car with a motorcycle tag? How, when the VIN verifies that it's a motorcycle?

Can a cop ticket you for not having the correct safety equipment? Again, how, when the VIN verifies that it's a motorcycle?

Can a cop ticket you for illegally modifying your motorcycle? Possibly, but so far I haven't seen any state law that says you can't do it.

Thus it seems to be a legal hole that the converted Slingshot fits right into. There doesn't seem to be anything official saying it's illegal, and there doesn't seem to be an enforcement mechanism even if it is.

If these things were to become a problem, the state legislature could always pass legislation that outlawed it after you spent the money on the conversion. However, this is a state that is staunchly against inspections and allows golf carts to be driven legally on residential streets. I seriously doubt our lawmakers are going to bother, and the cops don't seem to want the paperwork.

That's just Florida, though. People in other states with stricter motor vehicle regulations have run into problems. I know that thing is pretty much illegal as it sits in Pennsylvania. In some states you can't keep the motorcycle registration, but you can convert it over to a home-built, which exempts you from some equipment rules but not others. IIRC Missouri does this, but they require you to pull the VIN tag off and throw it away, replacing it with a new VIN, VIN plate and title issued by the state. So there are some ways around it.

Apparently someone has developed 300 HP and 600 HP turbo kits for them. Now the fun thing seems to be to turbocharge a quad with widened rims and end up with a total weight of something like 1400 lbs.
that probably wouldnt pass in california, but it would in states like washington. They dont really ever look at the car unless its a salvage to rebuilt inspection.

And california is starving for money so theyll pull you over just because.

Thats said California LOVES their Kit cars/homebuilt cars ( harken back to the Manx era) So guys in the exocet community are registering their cars that way. Im sure the singshot could do the same route.
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:35 PM   #28
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
Thats said California LOVES their Kit cars/homebuilt cars ( harken back to the Manx era) So guys in the exocet community are registering their cars that way. Im sure the singshot could do the same route.
I believe that's also how Local Motors stays legal with the Rally Fighter. They won't just sell you a completed car. You have to go out to their factory and work on it with them so that it's a home built.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (07-17-2019)