follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 06-24-2019, 06:05 PM   #1
Noction

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How do I fix this leather?

The left driverside bolster on my car is wearing down really fast even though I keep it clean and treat it often with leather conditioner. I bought my car new 4 months ago, and already there is a small 1 cm sized section of the leather bolster where the leather is starting to wear through to the backing material. The local leather repair shop is quoting me $200 to fix this tiny 1cm section "because of the proximity to the red contrast stiching, and we'll need to mask the whole thing". As thats pretty much the cost of an entirely new seat cover, I noped out of that. What is the best way to fix this myself?

Pictures linked.

https://imgur.com/m3xmdbU
https://imgur.com/0FjSFbA

Last edited by Noction; 06-24-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Noction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:17 PM   #2
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I had leather put in my '13 FRS and my seats 6 years later look in better condition than what I see in your photo. Factory leather on cheap japanese sports cars is a rip off, they give you such thin cheap material. For future advice, don't get the leather unless it didn't come from the factory. Only get leather performed at the dealership or have a quality shop do the leather seats.

I honestly would bring it up with the dealership as a material defect, you bought leather with the idea that it would last longer and be more durable than cloth. That sort of wear in 4 months is pretty hardcore. I'm going to have to guess your a heavy set fellow. The creasing around that bolster doesn't look right either, it should not be creasing to that extent.

You should only have to apply leather conditioner so often, every 6 months at most, and that is normally after the first year of ownership. It should be rock solid for at least a year with no real care needed.

Post back with an update.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:39 PM   #3
Noction

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
I had leather put in my '13 FRS and my seats 6 years later look in better condition than what I see in your photo. Factory leather on cheap japanese sports cars is a rip off, they give you such thin cheap material. For future advice, don't get the leather unless it didn't come from the factory. Only get leather performed at the dealership or have a quality shop do the leather seats.

I honestly would bring it up with the dealership as a material defect, you bought leather with the idea that it would last longer and be more durable than cloth. That sort of wear in 4 months is pretty hardcore. I'm going to have to guess your a heavy set fellow. The creasing around that bolster doesn't look right either, it should not be creasing to that extent.

You should only have to apply leather conditioner so often, every 6 months at most, and that is normally after the first year of ownership. It should be rock solid for at least a year with no real care needed.

Post back with an update.
Would this be a warranty item then? I really dont see how it could get this bad after only 4000 miles. Im not that heavy either lol, about 160lb.
Noction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:51 PM   #4
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
This looks like wear from a butt pocket sliding against it when you're sitting down into the seat. Pay extreme attention with how you enter/exit the vehicle, as this is where most wear originates.

Not saying that you are doing something wrong, I'm just speculating.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:02 PM   #5
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noction View Post
Would this be a warranty item then? I really dont see how it could get this bad after only 4000 miles. Im not that heavy either lol, about 160lb.

I would consider this a manufactures defect. Ok yeah I'm 150lbs and at 160 after 4 months it should not look that bad unless you wear sand paper clothing. Mine doesn't look nearly as creased but it does look a little less frayed than yours but mine is 6 years + old and is a daily.

This was my seat when new, as you can see absolutely zero creases on the bolster. You can see a picture of mine when it was new at the bottom of my ft86 profile page. https://www.ft86club.com/forums/dto_...hicle_id=2947#
Old 06-24-2019, 08:02 PM   #6
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have the same exact thing but on the outer edge. I brought mine to Toyota and they said it's not covered.
When I get around to it, I'm just going to go on Amazon and get the best reviewed repair kit and fix it.
Looking at videos online of people doing it, it looks pretty easy to do, definitely not $200 worth of effort for sure.

Here's a video of somebody doing it, looks easy enough: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcntjXiCiig[/ame]
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:13 PM   #7
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
I have the same exact thing but on the outer edge. I brought mine to Toyota and they said it's not covered.
When I get around to it, I'm just going to go on Amazon and get the best reviewed repair kit and fix it.
Looking at videos online of people doing it, it looks pretty easy to do, definitely not $200 worth of effort for sure.

Here's a video of somebody doing it, looks easy enough:

Yeah any leather that comes from the factory should be considered thinner and less durable leather. Also dealer normally charges you full price for leather, which for the same price you can have an independent shop do it, give you way more options in terms of personalization and will likely be higher quality leather. Plus they will honor their work.

So When I bought my FRS Scion doesn't offer leather options but the dealer I got it at was working with Katskin leather who did my interior. Then 3 years later the leather on the rear back seat was pulling away slightly from the plastic near the top (where the sun beats on it). I told Katskin, they said No problem. Drove to my work removed my rear seat completely and took it. Brought it back to my work the next day totally redone. They did this totally free of charge as it shouldn't do that when you pay $1,500 for leather.

If I where OP I would let the dealership know Im un satisfied with this leather quality. It almost seems as if the leather was not treated fully as it should not be that beaten up that fast. Something is up and say this is a defect.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:25 PM   #8
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Bubba says to hit it with a gray magic marker - then forget about it.

humfrz for Bubba
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
kch (07-12-2019), soundman98 (06-24-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 03:27 AM   #9
jbsali

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ (Limited)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
This looks like wear from a butt pocket sliding against it when you're sitting down into the seat. Pay extreme attention with how you enter/exit the vehicle, as this is where most wear originates.

Not saying that you are doing something wrong, I'm just speculating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
I would consider this a manufactures defect. Ok yeah I'm 150lbs and at 160 after 4 months it should not look that bad unless you wear sand paper clothing. Mine doesn't look nearly as creased but it does look a little less frayed than yours but mine is 6 years + old and is a daily.

This was my seat when new, as you can see absolutely zero creases on the bolster. You can see a picture of mine when it was new at the bottom of my ft86 profile page. https://www.ft86club.com/forums/dto_...hicle_id=2947#
I had the exact same issue but mine was a lot bigger than the one in the pics above. Turns out, it was the metal back pocket rivets or front pocket rivets rubbing and getting caught on the seat. I cleaned the seat and noticed no marks and then literally sat in it and heard some type of contact. Looked at the bolster and BAM, it was there. I narrowed it down to a rivet that was slightly turned with the sharp edge up. I resolved this by fixing those jeans and changing my enter/ exit seat approach. I use my right foot and left hand to prop myself up and then drop myself in the seat rather than just sliding in, hitting the bottom left bolster and top left bolster. No more issues.
jbsali is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbsali For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (06-25-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 12:19 PM   #10
cliff

Drives: subaru brz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I put seat covers on mine after I noticed some wear after just 2 months. A big expense at first but I plan to keep my BRZ for at least 7 years. People have been saying that they are very difficult to install. It took me about 20 minutes to do the entire car front and back.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:22 PM   #11
cliff

Drives: subaru brz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Put the seat as far back as possible when entering and exiting the car.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:32 PM   #12
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff View Post
Put the seat as far back as possible when entering and exiting the car.

Doesn't that just wear the runners and ratchet mechanism?? Why do cars wear out???
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:49 PM   #13
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
Why do cars wear out???
bean counters. it's never a material defect, or exceeding the expectations of any material, it's always the useless penny pinching bean counters.
JD001 (08-03-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 01:33 AM   #14
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
Doesn't that just wear the runners and ratchet mechanism?? Why do cars wear out???
Entropy
Everything wears out.