follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 08-19-2019, 02:23 PM   #1
Noction

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wheel cleaner discolored my calipers?

I gave my car a deep clean last weekend, and cleaned the wheels using Adam's wheel cleaner.

The wheel cleaner worked great on the wheels as advertised, but after I had finished brushing the wheels and sprayed them off, I noticed that the wheel cleaner had left ugly dark splotches on my silver brake calipers. I have not been able to get these marks off with water or soap. I have yet to try brake cleaner or alcohol, but would need to take off the wheels to get better access to them. What are these spots and how do I remove them? Was the stock silver caliper paint damaged by the wheel cleaner? I thought it was specifically made to avoid that. Is the only fix to paint them? Pics attached.

https://imgur.com/RvBO5Xe

https://imgur.com/J7Lo3ZB
Noction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:28 PM   #2
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
They look zinc plated, not painted.

Most likely brake dust was sitting on them etching the finish and you didn't notice the discoloration until after they were cleaned. You could always contact Adam's and see what they say. If it is gentle enough to go on a wheel finish, it is likely fine for the calipers.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote