follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 03-18-2018, 02:20 PM   #29
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyricecake View Post
That bolt is a pain...
I had some cringeworthy adapter setup going on to make that work. Had to slide an extension through the gap in the pipes, then attach the socket once it was through. I was surprised to run into that one. Seems like it could have been avoided by design.

Needless to say, I'm having the shop double check everything when I take it in for a different install soon.
mistople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:34 PM   #30
Elliotw

Drives: '18 BRZ tS, '18 GTI SE, '11 RS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistople View Post
Long weekend = lots of great seat time in the car. Learning a ton. Does anyone have experience with larger throttle pedals? I agree with many that it is much too far away from the brake. I can heel toe fine, but it took some getting used to.

I got the Velox throttle pedal space kit. Its adjustable which is nice and heel & toe is WAY easier. One of my favorite mods. If you want you could give it a feel on my car when you're in Seattle sometime.
Elliotw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Elliotw For This Useful Post:
mistople (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 07:22 PM   #31
mistople

Perrin 2.5" Resonated Catback

Another nice piece arrived this week. I ran out of time to install this the other day, but hopefully I can throw it on sometime in the next few weeks.

The build quality is as expected for the price. I got a crazy deal on it, so I'm happy regardless. I've heard lots of combinations for UEL headers + catbacks, and the JDL + Perrin has always stuck with me. As much as I'd love something more unique or special, I just love the sound. I also prefer to not draw too much attention to myself--the quiet nature of this exhaust appeals to me in that respect.

I'm sure I'll be trying a handful of catbacks with the car. This seemed like a good place to start!

The Following User Says Thank You to mistople For This Useful Post:
derekbrz24 (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 09:48 PM   #32
derekbrz24

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ WRB PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I was thinking of going with this exact setup for my 2017 and would love to hear how it sounds once you get it installed.
derekbrz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #33
mistople

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekbrz24 View Post
I was thinking of going with this exact setup for my 2017 and would love to hear how it sounds once you get it installed.
Will do. I'll try to break out my old condenser mics to get some nice clips.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:10 PM   #34
mistople

I've been busy logging idles, cruises, and various partial and full throttle logs for Zach at Delicious Tuning. I'm really loving the tune as it stands now--although he is still revising based on my WOT logs from last night. I'll still wait till the tune is done to give a proper review, although I can say now that I am very impressed with the JDL + DT combo thus far.

ProEcu dumps your data into a .csv. I uploaded it to Power BI to better visualize some of the data myself. Lots to learn about how the ECU works, and what to look out for. I'm loving this stuff! I am a heavy user of data visualization software at my day job, but this was my first time using Power BI. Not bad for my purposes here.

Throttle position vs. short/long term fuel trims

Vehicle speed vs short/long term fuel trims

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mistople For This Useful Post:
JeremyR (03-23-2018), spike021 (03-23-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 04:16 PM   #35
mistople

Perrin 2.5" resonated, MTEC shifter springs, Perrin rear shifter bushing, and Motul 300 Trans/Diff fluid all fitted last week.

Also finished my Delicious Tune revisions

Reviews coming shortly!
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (04-16-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 12:50 AM   #36
mistople

Lots of new goodies on the car this week. I finally got the car on stands to install the Perrin CBE and then had the lovely folks at Ishii Motorsports take care of some shifter-related installs. Big thanks to Kimberly and Steve at Ishii for helping me out. Highly recommend them to anyone in the PNW area.

Parked with my other toy. Yes, I understand the irony of parking a 205hp superbike in the handicap spot. Thanks to my awesome landlord for giving me the spot since nobody else needs it!

Perrin 2.5" Resonated Catback

Paired with the JDL catless UEL, the Perrin makes a lovely bass-heavy rumble from idle to 2500 RPM. 2500-4500 yields a more throaty and "opened" tone with more mid frequencies that start to become audible. 4500-7800 (thanks to Delicious Tuning for the extra 400 revs) is full on race car.

I'm loving the sound so far. I'm not crazy about slightly burbly dirtbike-esque sound at 2500, but everywhere else is magical. Even with the catless header, I find it to be a perfectly manageable volume. Wide open will certainly make a lot of noise though. Its just quiet when it needs to be. There's an amazing difference in driving experience with the windows up--where you hear more of the great header sound--and with the windows open and the catback is singing in your ear. The whole system makes the car altogether much more engaging than the stock pipes.

Excuse the filthy car. I often go out for drives in the rain. Not much choice here in Seattle.

MTEC Shifter Springs

I immediately noticed the difference in shifter feel after these were installed. The shifter snaps back to neutral with greater force, and so the net effect is what feels like a more smoothly guided shift.

Perrin Rear Shifter Bushing

Since I had this installed with the MTEC springs, it can be hard to tell the exact effects of each much. That said, the shifter just seems crisper and seems to like be slotted into place moreso than before. The entire system feels more expensive, more confident, and is more fun to drive.

Motul Gear 300 Transmission & Diff fluid

It sucks when cold. It rocks when warm. Same old Gear 300 story. Even at 50+ deg., the transmission doesn't like to be used for the first few minutes. Once it warms up, the transmission transforms entirely. I think people around here exaggerate how much a difference is made from swapping out the stock juice, but its still enough of an improvement to warrant the change. Shifts feel buttery and smooth. Again, its hard to pinpoint to the individual effect of the oil because of the other two shifter mods, but overall I'm happy I did it. It feels like an altogether smoother and more expensive box.

Last edited by mistople; 04-23-2018 at 12:56 PM.
derekbrz24 (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 08:23 PM   #37
mistople

Picked up some SPC camber bolts to hopefully fit before heading to The Ridge for a track day this Saturday. Waiting on a few more parts, so it will be a busy week of last-minute installs and alignments!

Was happy to learn that my trusty "B" helmet's Snell 2010 rating will work for our local organizers. Its not the lightest helmet in the world, but it works. I'm thinking about budgeting for an Arai GP-6S as a proper auto helmet.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:43 PM   #38
derekbrz24

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ WRB PP
Can we get some exhaust videos? I want to go with this same setup or maybe the dezod cbe.
derekbrz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:55 PM   #39
mistople

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekbrz24 View Post
Can we get some exhaust videos? I want to go with this same setup or maybe the dezod cbe.
I can do some on Friday. I won't have my nice mic setup quite yet though.

The Dezod would probably be a lot louder.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:27 AM   #40
SCQTT
ZWEI KOLBEN

Drives: 2017 86 Halo 6MT
Was happy to learn that my trusty "B" helmet's Snell 2010 rating will work for our local organizers. Its not the lightest helmet in the world, but it works. I'm thinking about budgeting for an Arai GP-6S as a proper auto helmet.

[/QUOTE]

That Shoei is at least 8 years old, time to retire it even for bike use. Snell 2020 will be out in the fall of 2019, maybe it is OK to wait.

I'm sure you know, but just for everyone else's benefit Snell changes every 5 years. MOST sanctioning bodies let you use the previous standard, but no older. Some will let you use motorcycle helmets, some won't.

Snell MA is motorcycle, Snell SA is automotive.

The primary difference is eyeport size and fire rating.

You might consider a Stilo, they are making some very nice lids.

Check out the Simpson Hybrid S, it is a head and neck restraint you can use with stock belts or a racing harness. It is expensive, but one of the only set ups you can use for both. Perfect for daily drivers that see track day use. It is a good setup, Simpson knows what they are doing, they also own the HANS device brand.

Your build is off to a great start, I like your attention to detail.

Last edited by SCQTT; 04-25-2018 at 08:41 AM.
SCQTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:23 PM   #41
mistople

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post

That Shoei is at least 8 years old, time to retire it even for bike use. Snell 2020 will be out in the fall of 2019, maybe it is OK to wait.

I'm sure you know, but just for everyone else's benefit Snell changes every 5 years. MOST sanctioning bodies let you use the previous standard, but no older. Some will let you use motorcycle helmets, some won't.

Snell MA is motorcycle, Snell SA is automotive.

The primary difference is eyeport size and fire rating.

You might consider a Stilo, they are making some very nice lids.

Check out the Simpson Hybrid S, it is a head and neck restraint you can use with stock belts or a racing harness. It is expensive, but one of the only set ups you can use for both. Perfect for daily drivers that see track day use. It is a good setup, Simpson knows what they are doing, they also own the HANS device brand.

Your build is off to a great start, I like your attention to detail.
You are correct on all points! I'm treading water a bit on whether or not I want to hold out for that. I don't use this helmet for my motorcycle anymore.

Need to try out some helmets this season to see what I like. I hear great things about the Arai lineup, but haven't tried them on yet.

That Simpson rig looks top notch.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:36 PM   #42
mjanmohammad

Drives: Boosted 2017 BRZ PP. GT2860RS, JDL.
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyricecake View Post
@mjanmohammad has a bigger throttle pedal I believe
I can't believe I didn't see this earlier. I have the GSpeed gas pedal relocate kit, I love it.