follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-17-2018, 11:11 AM   #337
alchemis

Drives: JDM Toyota 86 GT limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
forced induction data required

hi guys,

i'm from the hotter asia side. i have the latest HKS GT3RS kit installed.
back then i was NA i had oil temp of 108 degrees celcius constantly max in a F1 circuit. my driving skill wasn't bad... running hankook RS3 back then.

but recently i slapped on the HKS turbo kit, due to the super thick intercooler, i had to relocate my oil cooler to the side (fog lamp area, foglamp is removed to get maximum air, and wheel house plastic cover is trimmed to get the air moving out fast), just like all hks setup. the result, i'm not getting enough air pass my oil cooler, within the 1st time trial lap, i had my oil temp shoot up to 130 degrees, 2nd trial lap 135 degrees, and right after the 3rd one starts, i hit 140 and car goes to limp mode cut my throttle. these are back to back lap.

i'm wondering if this kit is going to help in my situation. not sure the super fast heat build up is related to the FI or it's the cooler not getting enough air.
alchemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:22 AM   #338
alchemis

i do found these where one of the "factory" racing team uses in their race car with TRD purpose built engine. but they are extremely pricey.

http://www.daiwaracinglabo.com/products/412/
Old 09-17-2018, 12:19 PM   #339
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
JR dual rad seems a bit more reasonably priced. And nothing said for this, how much it's (if) really plug & play, unlike JR's. Still, interesting product of course.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #340
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemis View Post
hi guys,

i'm from the hotter asia side. i have the latest HKS GT3RS kit installed.
back then i was NA i had oil temp of 108 degrees celcius constantly max in a F1 circuit. my driving skill wasn't bad... running hankook RS3 back then.

but recently i slapped on the HKS turbo kit, due to the super thick intercooler, i had to relocate my oil cooler to the side (fog lamp area, foglamp is removed to get maximum air, and wheel house plastic cover is trimmed to get the air moving out fast), just like all hks setup. the result, i'm not getting enough air pass my oil cooler, within the 1st time trial lap, i had my oil temp shoot up to 130 degrees, 2nd trial lap 135 degrees, and right after the 3rd one starts, i hit 140 and car goes to limp mode cut my throttle. these are back to back lap.

i'm wondering if this kit is going to help in my situation. not sure the super fast heat build up is related to the FI or it's the cooler not getting enough air.
There is not enough airflow in that area for an oil cooler that is sufficient in direct airflow in the center opening.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #341
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
i do found these where one of the "factory" racing team uses in their race car with TRD purpose built engine. but they are extremely pricey.

http://www.daiwaracinglabo.com/products/412/
That's an air/oil cooler.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gtengr For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-17-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 03:55 PM   #342
Nawar

Drives: 2016 Red GT86
Hey Mike, whats the difference between the first and v2 of the radiator

Cheers
Nawar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:12 PM   #343
JDMChris

Drives: 2016
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to JDMChris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawar View Post
Hey Mike, whats the difference between the first and v2 of the radiator

Cheers
The V2 has the new Adapter and fits the 2017+ models as well.
JDMChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:33 PM   #344
alchemis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
There is not enough airflow in that area for an oil cooler that is sufficient in direct airflow in the center opening.
Unfortunately the intercooler is so thick and large whereby i don't have space to slot in an oil cooler at the front.

I will need to cut the front crash beam in order to fit the hks intercooler. So I'm looking for some data if any turboed fa20 tried this radiator in a track with high rev most of the time.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:04 AM   #345
falcon_wizard

Drives: BRZ 2013
Quote:
Unfortunately the intercooler is so thick and large whereby i don't have space to slot in an oil cooler at the front.

I will need to cut the front crash beam in order to fit the hks intercooler. So I'm looking for some data if any turboed fa20 tried this radiator in a track with high rev most of the time.
Based on the info i have gathered, normally for heavy track use, an air to oil cooler is recommended since airflow is not normally an issue, but in your case it souunds like it is the problem. My earlier post shows results of the dual cooler with my 340hp turbo setup. They were not taken on the track per se, but I simulated a similar environment by maintaining high rpms that allowed me to reach and even exceed oil temps previously seen during an HPDE.

If you could better locate your cooler that would be ideal, but one benefit of the dual cooler setup is that it fits where the rad is, and does not add to the cooling stack. With a turbo kit, you’ll want to run higher grade oil, as the lil will reach higher temp even on the street. i run gulf 5w40 which was recommended by the shop that installed and developed the turbo kit.. The dual cooler also improves radiator performance, which also helps. I’d recommend checking to see if the cooler fits with your planned turbo setup before ordering however. Mike may be able to help there.

Edit: my turbo setup also has. A pretty large intercooler in the front, and I was not expecting to be able to have a suitable spot for an air to oil cooler as well, which was of my decision to procced with this kit.

Last edited by falcon_wizard; 09-19-2018 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Added details
falcon_wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:41 PM   #346
remhex

Drives: Car
What are you folks seeing for oil pressure? My oil temperature is much more stable but I feel like my higer rpm oil pressure has suffered quite a bit. At 6000+ rpm and 250* oil temperature, I was reading 3.7 BAR from factory pressure port. Now my oil temperature rarely makes it past 200 but oil pressure only tops out at 3 bar once car is warmed up. Running toyota brand 0-20.
remhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:29 AM   #347
remhex

Drives: Car
Thats roughly 54 psi hot/ pre oil cooler install and 43 warm/ post cooler for those who like murican measurements.
remhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:28 PM   #348
Butterballz

Drives: Black FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
What is your guys coolant temp when idling? Does it slowly go up till the fans turn on at 212f or does it hit a equilibrium? Wanted to ask since mine goes up till the fans kick in and wanted to make sure I don't have air in my coolant system.

Thanks!
Butterballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:53 PM   #349
gkubed

Drives: 15 ZN6, 97 NA8, 87 AE82, 78 MX32
Garage
Can some people with the updated (17+) design chime in about any successes/failures concerning running the lines without kinking/rubbing/wearing?

The first 19 pages has a few people stating they had problems with this. Of course it was reportedly never really a problem in the first place, but I like to give myself some breathing room for idiocy.
gkubed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gkubed For This Useful Post:
weederr33 (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 02:55 PM   #350
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkubed View Post
Can some people with the updated (17+) design chime in about any successes/failures concerning running the lines without kinking/rubbing/wearing?

The first 19 pages has a few people stating they had problems with this. Of course it was reportedly never really a problem in the first place, but I like to give myself some breathing room for idiocy.
This! I'm looking into buying one too in the spring and would like to know how it's holding up

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote