follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-09-2017, 05:23 PM   #57
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I leave Sunday morning to go to Montreal to attend the F1 race and to also join Honda for a closed Civic Type R event there. I'll be driving it on Track and on the Street. I can't talk about it till after Embargo lifts.

Well, there are some arguments for the Type R, remember the Sti starts at 36 and that's the normal one. Recaro seats are optional for example. The Type R already has all the features, and then some compared to a based Sti. Not to mention little things like higher MPG 22/28/25.(Sti is 17/22/20) That and you know it's the top for Honda, there's nothing else above it. With the Base Sti there still a Limited Sti on top that cost more 40K ish but I mean you do get things like Moonroof. Type R has Car Play standard and Honda Infotainment is a hell lot better than Starlink. So this alone is going to help sell the Type R. It's also a hatchback, more storage space.

Lastly, DO you really need AWD? especially if you live in a place with no Winter. Type R is also not just any regular FWD it's got some gimmicky stuff to make it work. Which we will find out in due time.

so to the question why I would buy a Type R over a Sti, Id prolly go with it for better features that aren't related to the performance.

heck I buy cars based on how they make me feel, if I could afford it I have an Ftype or a 4c. We'll see how the Type R will make me feel.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zaku For This Useful Post:
guybo (06-09-2017), soulreapersteve (06-09-2017), strat61caster (06-10-2017), totopo (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 06:02 PM   #58
Vr4gasmtt

Drives: 05 EVO VIII RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
For $35k why would you not get an STI instead? Can anyone sell me on this FWD car?
The CTR is going to be very limited quantities and will only have ~2000 made next year and thats it (2 year run), so the rarity will be up there. It will be similar quantities to the ITR. Youll see 30x more STI's than CTR.

And this is Honda here, not that Subaru junk

The front end looks amazing, the rear is starting to grow on me. Its not as bad, and especially when you see it in person.

The people who are hating are the people who always hated on hondas in general it seems.
Vr4gasmtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:08 PM   #59
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vr4gasmtt View Post
The people who are hating are the people who always hated on hondas in general it seems.
No, I'm a fan of Honda and have been driving one for quite a while. They make great leases for businesses lol

They're trying WAY to hard with the model and it looks like a bunch of Ebay parts were slapped on IMHO.

Looks are subjective though.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (06-12-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 08:27 PM   #60
Mvhs09

Drives: Brz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I think the type R is amazing but i need a coupe, not a hatch. Why do i need a coupe? Room for me myself and I. I like small cars and my hyper Blue fits the bill perfectly.

Tl; dr i like the type r but i love my brz more.
Mvhs09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:54 PM   #61
Vr4gasmtt

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
No, I'm a fan of Honda and have been driving one for quite a while. They make great leases for businesses lol

They're trying WAY to hard with the model and it looks like a bunch of Ebay parts were slapped on IMHO.

Looks are subjective though.
How are they trying way too hard? The last CTR (FK2) looked similar except this is much more refined and better. I think your comparing it to the oldskool CTR and ITR.

What did you want them to do? Take a base Civic and slap a Type R badge on it? And then you'd have people saying it looks too plain and Honda didn't do anything to differentiate it from the base. Everything on the car is functional.

People either love it or hate it.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:57 PM   #62
Vr4gasmtt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvhs09 View Post

Tl; dr i like the type r but i love my brz more.
This isn't a comparison of CTR vs BRZ, they're not even in the same class.

Find me another FWD car that's better and sold in the US.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:08 PM   #63
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vr4gasmtt View Post
People either love it or hate it.
You got that right. The basic Civic is on the ugly side too.

It's not juts Honda. Most of the Manufacturers are trying to be "edgy" and I see most falling flat on their faces. That's juts my opinion.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:24 PM   #64
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I miss the childhood days when everyone was excited just to see a sporty new car and every mildly cookin car was worshipped. Now as soon as something is announced, you get the "yeah but it's ugly", "yeah but it's still worse than [insert car]", "plus it's still [insert perceived negative aspect]". We're car guys but we like surprisingly few performance cars lol.

I like it. As for the FWD concerns, since Ford released their focus RS with the RevoKnuckle front suspension, FWD setups have been steadily improving.
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StraightOuttaCanadaEh For This Useful Post:
totopo (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 09:28 PM   #65
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

In response to the post above, another example of trying to hard...The car is nice, but my God, tame that front end down a little.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:51 AM   #66
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
I miss the childhood days when everyone was excited just to see a sporty new car and every mildly cookin car was worshipped. Now as soon as something is announced, you get the "yeah but it's ugly", "yeah but it's still worse than [insert car]", "plus it's still [insert perceived negative aspect]". We're car guys but we like surprisingly few performance cars lol...
Great post. Allow me to add one other category of reflexive response made by many keyboard-wielding "experts": "Only an idiot would buy this when you can get a [2011/12/13] [Cayman/Sti/Mustang GT/etc.] for the same price."
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:10 AM   #67
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This car is never going to win any beauty contests; I needed an eye rinse on first viewing it online. But as so many other aspects of the car were personally interesting or appealing I've continued to follow its progress to market, and I have come to a sense of what the designers were looking to achieve that makes it seem striking and even attractive in a certain way. Shorn in Polished Metal Metallic paint its more obnoxious stylistic elements are substantially muted (see below).

Initial social media reactions from the press track and road drive just completed outside of Montreal are very positive. The embargo on reviews lifts next week.

To its credit, Honda did work hard to keep the R's weight down. At about 3040 lbs, it's a bit lighter than the previous version, weighs no more than some vanilla versions of the car, and is some 300-400 lbs less than the Sti and FoRS.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sport-Tech; 06-10-2017 at 03:26 AM.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sport-Tech For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (06-10-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 12:27 PM   #68
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post
This car is never going to win any beauty contests; I needed an eye rinse on first viewing it online. But as so many other aspects of the car were personally interesting or appealing I've continued to follow its progress to market, and I have come to a sense of what the designers were looking to achieve that makes it seem striking and even attractive in a certain way. Shorn in Polished Metal Metallic paint its more obnoxious stylistic elements are substantially muted (see below).

Initial social media reactions from the press track and road drive just completed outside of Montreal are very positive. The embargo on reviews lifts next week.

To its credit, Honda did work hard to keep the R's weight down. At about 3040 lbs, it's a bit lighter than the previous version, weighs no more than some vanilla versions of the car, and is some 300-400 lbs less than the Sti and FoRS.
Not nearly so bad in that colour. The white makes all the fake vents stand out too much. I could live with this colour. Not that I have any interest all all but it is better.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:51 PM   #69
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,474 Times in 4,995 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
2WD > AWD
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (06-15-2017), Cole (06-10-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 01:19 PM   #70
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,921 Times in 1,768 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Im more bang of the buck, with that amount of money i would rather buy an used camaro ss.
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote