follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 12-31-2016, 09:35 PM   #323
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingtonFRS View Post
Intake won't work with this kit and your plugs need to be colder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You say that very matter of factly but there's nothing in the install manual (for V1 and V2 for sure) indicating plugs must be changed. Pretty sure lots of people running stock spark plugs without issue.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:36 PM   #324
HuntingtonFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S in White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
You say that very matter of factly but there's nothing in the install manual (for V1 and V2 for sure) indicating that. Pretty sure lots of people running stock spark plugs without issue.

Ok. Then good luck 👍🏼

HuntingtonFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:40 PM   #325
HuntingtonFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S in White

HuntingtonFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:03 PM   #326
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Pffft

Just get the exhaust you like, same with headers. And not sure what this intake scoop is..

If you really like HKS, can't argue ths quality.

But you can "go wild" with any combo you want and get Ecutek dyno tuned to get the most from your calibrations. I have a Frankenstein V1 with a completely different and way oversized intercooler and no intake restrictor.

My dyno looks like an S2000 pushed up a few notches but without a VTEC bump.
Attached Images

5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:28 PM   #327
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
And not sure what this intake scoop is..

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:09 PM   #328
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
Yes, i have seen that previously. They advise you that the canned calibration is based on using all this hardware. So, any stray and you *might* change the effectiveness of the tune.
That's fine and their products are good, for sure.

If you do stray in your bolt-on selection you must get a more custom tune. So, if you save some money buying bolt-ons that aren't all HKS, I suggest go Ecutek. Preferably dyno tune.

It's pretty optimistic to expect every client to buy ALL their stuff. I also highly dispute the necessity for changing the spark plugs, but I guess they do their research, as we do ours on these forums. I am going to assert that the plugs in the car wont fail at sub-300 HP. They might look funky though when it's time go change them. A member on the forum fairly recently posted pics of his plugs when time to change. They looked like the high compression pushed heat between the ceramic and metal at the base of the plug. There was some black on the ceramic part where it met the threaded part of the plug, radiating away from the engine. Might just be heat related but more importantly it was on the exterior from the engine part of the plug. And there was no apparent failure noted by the poster.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:28 PM   #329
Evil Rocky

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I think going to go with ecu tuned HKS and then do a custom one later. I just order my HKS suction and will order plugs when closer to order the supercharger. I am hoping April or may to get it.

Thanks for answering my question huntingtonfrs and everyone else input.
Evil Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Evil Rocky For This Useful Post:
HuntingtonFRS (01-02-2017), zeal86 (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 05:56 PM   #330
jackblack21

Drives: red scion frs
I am currently looking at an HKS V3 super charger. It says it comes with a pre programmed ecu tune for 91oct. How good is this generic tune and will it work with an AT car? Thanks in advance.
jackblack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #331
WRX4ME

Drives: 2016 BRZ HyperBlue, 2015 WRX Red
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, i have seen that previously. They advise you that the canned calibration is based on using all this hardware. So, any stray and you *might* change the effectiveness of the tune.
That's fine and their products are good, for sure.

If you do stray in your bolt-on selection you must get a more custom tune. So, if you save some money buying bolt-ons that aren't all HKS, I suggest go Ecutek. Preferably dyno tune.

It's pretty optimistic to expect every client to buy ALL their stuff. I also highly dispute the necessity for changing the spark plugs, but I guess they do their research, as we do ours on these forums. I am going to assert that the plugs in the car wont fail at sub-300 HP. They might look funky though when it's time go change them. A member on the forum fairly recently posted pics of his plugs when time to change. They looked like the high compression pushed heat between the ceramic and metal at the base of the plug. There was some black on the ceramic part where it met the threaded part of the plug, radiating away from the engine. Might just be heat related but more importantly it was on the exterior from the engine part of the plug. And there was no apparent failure noted by the poster.

Ah yes, the 'intake duct'.. That has to be modified (read - a chunk cut out of) in order to fit with the V3 kit. I sold mine and opted to just modify the stock air box per the instructions. But, that's just an aside.

I'm running the V3 kit with a Tomei EL header and Tomei overpipe mixed with a Greddy SP cat-back exhaust and stock front pipe. I was unable to utilize the OTS tune because my car was a '16 and the flash tablet didn't recognize the VIN at the time, so I used ECUTek and had the car tuned after I installed the kit. It ran great before the header and it runs spectacular with it. There is zero issue with using exhaust components other than HKS. I agree, it's just HKS preserving their bottom line.

As to the plugs. I have a set of colder plugs that I have not yet installed. I'm not about to tackle it myself since changing plugs on a Subaru is a royal pain and I'll happily throw my money at the mechanic and let him hassle with it. That said, I've put over 7000 miles on the kit thus far, with stock plugs, and have had zero issues. I'll get around to having them replaced when I have nothing better to spend $170 on.
WRX4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:15 PM   #332
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You don't necessarily need colder plugs unless you are pushing huge power and your IATs and EGTs are ridiculously high. The stockers are pretty damn cold already...hundreds of guys pushing over 500 with factory spark. You aren't going to need their little 'intake scoop' either....all that would matter in regard to playing nice with the ECU is the placement of the MAF and the diameter of the intake piping where the MAF housing sits which would throw off the MAF voltage scaling. You need to re-evaluate if you're more worried about purchasing these little items (coincidentally made and sold by the same company recommending them) than you are worried about running a canned tune on a forced induction high compression motor.

That aside, I just put the SuperFire/M45HL plugs (which are re-branded NGKs) on this past Monday. The install wasn't as bad as folk make it out to be...in my case I did not need to remove the injector ECU. I did un-do the injector ecu's ground wire, removed the charge piping of my turbo, got a bottle jack and slowly jacked one side of the motor up. I'd definitely recommend having a partner there to watch and listen for things that might bind up.
Amputechture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:16 PM   #333
WRX4ME

Drives: 2016 BRZ HyperBlue, 2015 WRX Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amputechture View Post
You don't necessarily need colder plugs unless you are pushing huge power and your IATs and EGTs are ridiculously high. The stockers are pretty damn cold already...hundreds of guys pushing over 500 with factory spark. You aren't going to need their little 'intake scoop' either....all that would matter in regard to playing nice with the ECU is the placement of the MAF and the diameter of the intake piping where the MAF housing sits which would throw off the MAF voltage scaling. You need to re-evaluate if you're more worried about purchasing these little items (coincidentally made and sold by the same company recommending them) than you are worried about running a canned tune on a forced induction high compression motor.

That aside, I just put the SuperFire/M45HL plugs (which are re-branded NGKs) on this past Monday. The install wasn't as bad as folk make it out to be...in my case I did not need to remove the injector ECU. I did un-do the injector ecu's ground wire, removed the charge piping of my turbo, got a bottle jack and slowly jacked one side of the motor up. I'd definitely recommend having a partner there to watch and listen for things that might bind up.

Yeah, they say HKS on the ceramic, and NGK everywhere else.
WRX4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:33 AM   #334
killsafkat

Drives: 2013 GT86
how can i revert back to the stock map using the hks flash editor?
killsafkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:42 PM   #335
lunatic808

Drives: Boosted
I have the HKS V3 sc kit and need a new bov asap. I can't find it anywhere and would like to know how I can get one or replacement parts for the bov.
lunatic808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:51 AM   #336
Yobiwan

Drives: Toyota 86 Turbo, Lexus NX300H
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatic808 View Post
I have the HKS V3 sc kit and need a new bov asap. I can't find it anywhere and would like to know how I can get one or replacement parts for the bov.
https://www.hks-power.co.jp/product_search/product/727

part no. is 17672-002100
Attached Images