follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-29-2017, 11:36 PM   #1
86wtywly

Drives: 2014 Scion Frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tein SRC vs. KW clubsport

Need a two way coilover.
Right now I am running hks sp.
Felt like it is a little unrefined for daily driving.
On track, my car felt more planted than stock suspension but I want two way coilover for more adjustment and learn how to adjust compression independently.

I want to know you guy's impression on those two coilovers performance wise and which one you would purchase.
Thx guys.
86wtywly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:02 AM   #2
86wtywly

Anyone? Bump
Old 03-30-2017, 01:03 AM   #3
LOLS2K
/scion

Drives: '13 86 M/T
Thanked 1,402 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
A lot of good info in here, check it out:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45554

LOLS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:06 AM   #4
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
There's a sizable price difference between the two. Both seem to be well reviewed here but the Teins seem to be more oriented to those looking for higher spring rates.

If you're thinking about KW Clubsports I would recommend having a look at our RCE Tarmac 2 Clubsports, which are a custom valved and custom sprung version built by KW to our specs. Plus we offer a lifetime warranty.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:54 AM   #5
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86wtywly View Post
Anyone? Bump
26 minutes? Seriously?

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
kch (04-04-2017), strat61caster (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 02:56 AM   #6
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86wtywly View Post
Need a two way coilover.
Right now I am running hks sp.
Felt like it is a little unrefined for daily driving.
On track, my car felt more planted than stock suspension but I want two way coilover for more adjustment and learn how to adjust compression independently.

I want to know you guy's impression on those two coilovers performance wise and which one you would purchase.
Thx guys.
We have experience with both setups. Please send us a message to discuss your options as well as your goals in how your car will be modified. Thank you!
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:59 AM   #7
86wtywly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSpace Garage View Post
We have experience with both setups. Please send us a message to discuss your options as well as your goals in how your car will be modified. Thank you!
Pm sent.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:00 AM   #8
86wtywly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
There's a sizable price difference between the two. Both seem to be well reviewed here but the Teins seem to be more oriented to those looking for higher spring rates.

If you're thinking about KW Clubsports I would recommend having a look at our RCE Tarmac 2 Clubsports, which are a custom valved and custom sprung version built by KW to our specs. Plus we offer a lifetime warranty.

- Andrew
Cool I will check ur website shortly.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:05 AM   #9
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
I'm sure you'll hear this again (perhaps less directly), but changing to gain experience adjusting is kinda the wrong reasons for a change. And as already noted, there are some rather big spring rate differences off the shelf.

What do you want the car to do differently? If you can't target a specific handling change you want, adjustable shocks won't help... Because you adjust them based on a change you want.

I ran SRC for two years, and have recently changed to a set of Tarmacs. Depending on my goals, I'd happily run the Teins again, but there are some very specific things I'm trying to improve that I couldn't easily do with them.

C
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (03-30-2017), Shark_Bait88 (03-30-2017), strat61caster (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 11:18 AM   #10
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
cjd: made me curious, what were those specific things?
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 05:51 PM   #11
cjd

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
More purple, more gold!
The Following User Says Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 07:08 PM   #12
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
@cjd does a lot of autocross so the setup has to be more autocross focused.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
cjd (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 08:54 PM   #13
cjd

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
@cjd does a lot of autocross so the setup has to be more autocross focused.
This! I actually do almost exclusively autocross right now. I don't even daily the car, so it's to/from events, occasional road-trips, and autocross. And sidelong glances at the track. When I'm ready to walk away from the car, I'll be there, probably wishing I still had the Teins on the car. Or maybe testing into similar spring rates for track days.
@churchx To provide a more thorough answer:

As grip went up and courses got faster, the Teins would really show what they were capable of (I'd not be surprised if they did well at nationals, assuming it's dry, for example). I so badly wanted to love them all the time. As grip fell off or surface got bad (one lot requires choosing fast transitions, or fast through the rough... I'm hoping to find a happier medium...) it became a struggle to keep the car behaving consistently well.

I've gone down *significantly* on spring rate to start this season, lower than what I think the Teins were suited for, but there's more to it as well. I'll be experimenting with spring rates. My previous comment about color might be enough for you to make some accurate assumptions as well, but I'm not really wanting to go on about it here. Suffice to say it isn't a lateral move.

What really is interesting is that, aside from one stretch of highway I drove a lot where the distances the cement was laid down lines up with some harmonic and it feels like the car is a seesaw, highway driving was never an issue - and that includes my wife, who likes to knit while we travel, and did so without trouble. Oh, and that one HORRIBLE road in Michigan, where I thought the car was going to fall apart.

And all this goes back to what I asked the OP: what needs to change? Because without that, ... who knows.

Note, I haven't driven more than 5 miles on the Tarmacs yet, so have zero opinion of them performance-wise.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:52 PM   #14
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
This! I actually do almost exclusively autocross right now. I don't even daily the car, so it's to/from events, occasional road-trips, and autocross. And sidelong glances at the track. When I'm ready to walk away from the car, I'll be there, probably wishing I still had the Teins on the car. Or maybe testing into similar spring rates for track days.
@churchx To provide a more thorough answer:

As grip went up and courses got faster, the Teins would really show what they were capable of (I'd not be surprised if they did well at nationals, assuming it's dry, for example). I so badly wanted to love them all the time. As grip fell off or surface got bad (one lot requires choosing fast transitions, or fast through the rough... I'm hoping to find a happier medium...) it became a struggle to keep the car behaving consistently well.

I've gone down *significantly* on spring rate to start this season, lower than what I think the Teins were suited for, but there's more to it as well. I'll be experimenting with spring rates. My previous comment about color might be enough for you to make some accurate assumptions as well, but I'm not really wanting to go on about it here. Suffice to say it isn't a lateral move.

What really is interesting is that, aside from one stretch of highway I drove a lot where the distances the cement was laid down lines up with some harmonic and it feels like the car is a seesaw, highway driving was never an issue - and that includes my wife, who likes to knit while we travel, and did so without trouble. Oh, and that one HORRIBLE road in Michigan, where I thought the car was going to fall apart.

And all this goes back to what I asked the OP: what needs to change? Because without that, ... who knows.

Note, I haven't driven more than 5 miles on the Tarmacs yet, so have zero opinion of them performance-wise.
All of Michigan is like that unfortunately. I felt the suspension in the rental SUV work harder than it really should and I could feel that harmonic cadence like you're describing. On side note, you can dial the dampers differently to run on those SRCs and actually make it glide.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote