follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 01:52 AM   #43
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,516 Times in 18,918 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I've helped a few people fix their bumper issues. The main issue is in a design flaw in how the bumper is supported or more to the point, is not supported. The whole bumper is essentially supported from the top strip that also holds the hood seal. The fasteners all across the bottom loosely hold up that forward bottom plate. I don't know what it's called.

I've had mine off a couple times and reinstalled it with no issue. the trick is to install it so it loosely hangs off of the top fasteners. Do not tighten them.

Carefully pop the corners into the clips.

Loosely attach all the fasteners across the bottom.

While everything is still loose, grab the bottom of the bumper cover and lift. Notice the effect it has on the fit of the corner clips.

Tighten the top strip from the center outward while supporting the bottom. There's not much slop in those mounts but it makes a difference. That's the key.

The real fix for the bumper is to support it from the bottom using something along the line of those turnbuckles that I see on aftermarket splitters. @AznKirby, I bet your corner clips fit nicely with the way you mounted your splitter.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:24 AM   #44
Eighty 6

Drives: Gt86
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
If it's the residue, and letting your tank go below 1/4, then why is it that some brand new twins roll off the lot with crickets? Surely they've not been that low on gas, and even if they have, with less than 50 miles driven on some of them, surely there can't be any of that nasty mystery "residue" that your uncle told you about.
Cole please read my links, it addresses your "residue" and "uncle told me".

Have a nice day.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:36 AM   #45
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighty 6 View Post
http://vehiclemd.com/from-residue-to...e-your-engine/

Talks about residue left in your engine when fuel heats up due to heatsoak. If your tank is heating up to an engine heats soak level then deposits are the least of you worries.
http://grounds-mag.com/mag/grounds_m...t_maintenance/

Talks about moisture collecting in the fuel tank of your lawnmower that sit for prolonged periods. Not even remotely relevant to a car that burns up a tank of gas a week.

http://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-cou...ws/autogas.pdf
HA HA HA HA HA HA They are not even talking about gasoline here "Autogas is a mixture of butanes and propanes which is kept under pressure to keep it liquid at normal temperature. " Did you think that since the words Auto and gas were used it was even remotely applicable?

Here's a few useful links regarding fuel tanks for you. Most interesting one is the last. You're welcome..

Dude just give it up.
Cole (12-18-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 05:45 AM   #46
Tcoat

Quote:
Here TCoat here's some useful links, the best one is the last one by BP,
After you read you might want to think twice about letting that fuel light come on.

Have a nice day.

http://vehiclemd.com/from-residue-to...e-your-engine/
Not sure that the author has ever been in a car much less owns one. And the Betty Crocker school of auto maintenance closed decades ago. Not only is there not one reference to gas in the whole thing the rest is total bunk "We’ve all heard that pledge furniture polish is great for the interior of your car. It polishes and shines your leather and dusts your dash to perfection. However, have you ever tried it on the outside of your car? Turns out, according to one faithful Pledge user, it’s a wash and wax product all in one! Its slightly greasy texture breaks up the dirt, dust, mud, slush and snow and a soft dishcloth polishes it away."

http://grounds-mag.com/mag/grounds_m...t_maintenance/
Same as other

http://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-cou...ws/autogas.pdf
Same as other

OK thanks for the laughs. I will not respond to any more of these posts.
brandonblt2 (12-18-2015), Cole (12-18-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 05:48 AM   #47
Eighty 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Dude just give it up.
Are you saying "residue" dosent build up in gas tanks? It accumulates in the bottom, so when you let your fuel light come on a regular basis, that "residue" goes through your fuel line to different parts of the engine causing all sorts of issues. There's hundreds of links that say this. Do you have one that says it dosent?

I may have just walked away and presumed you know everything there is to know about the gt86 and fuel but after reading about handbrake's vs brakes and uphill start I'm finding it a bit hard.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:04 AM   #48
Eighty 6

Oh wtf happened to the links. I'll repost the correct ones. Sorry.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:12 AM   #49
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
So if it's the ethanol that's causing the crickets why haven't they done anything about it? If you've found what the problem is, document some proof and post it here and maybe send the manufacturer an e mail.
1) Someone earlier on in the life of the forum, in fact earlier when I first joined the forum someone disassembled the HPFP and proved what Toyota has stated in TSBs as to what causes the chirp. There is no cheap redesign or fix unless you somehow soundproof the hpfp. The manufacturer of that specific HPFP (NOT TOYOTA) probably Denso or something will deal with it but most likely not as it doesn't effect performance. Also you don't have ethanol in your fuel hence no chirp google "cavitation"
2) You need to chill out, the links you posted are from bias gas companies trying to sell you on things, and vehiclemd is owned by TKO multimedia which is known for putting quick clickbait articles online to get views, notice none of the quotes are fully cited. Also the authors lack of knowledge is astounding because they are just writers from TKO multimedia assigned a topic for their "Car" site. Spamming links doesn't help anyone
3) Stop antagonizing people that may know more than you

I suggest you stop posting all together you have single-handedly derailed the thread, idk what the mods will do but if you keep it up you may get banned
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
brandonblt2 (12-18-2015), Cole (12-18-2015), Eighty 6 (12-18-2015), Tcoat (12-18-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 06:28 AM   #50
Eighty 6

“Numerous ASE (Automotive Society of Engineers) papers document that it is the nature of internal combustion engines to produce deposits,” said Owen Heatwole, Technical Support and Environmental Health and Safety manager for Solid Start. “Any time an engine shuts down, it goes through a ‘hot soak.’ A ‘hot soak’ is when your engine is still producing heat, but there is no air flowing through it to cool it down. During the ‘hot soak’ period, fuel residues become thin deposits called gum and varnish. With time, these thin residues accumulate and bake into rock-hard carbon deposits, which can be very difficult to remove.”

1.http://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-driv...ector-cleaning

2. https://books.google.ae/books?id=gGt...%20why&f=false

3. http://www.totalautowny.com/support/low_gas.mgi

Sorry for the off topic but somehow it got derailed, it's all in the off topic "shitstorm" thread.

Last edited by Eighty 6; 12-18-2015 at 06:39 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:46 AM   #51
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
“Numerous ASE (Automotive Society of Engineers) papers document that it is the nature of internal combustion engines to produce deposits,” said Owen Heatwole, Technical Support and Environmental Health and Safety manager for Solid Start. “Any time an engine shuts down, it goes through a ‘hot soak.’ A ‘hot soak’ is when your engine is still producing heat, but there is no air flowing through it to cool it down. During the ‘hot soak’ period, fuel residues become thin deposits called gum and varnish. With time, these thin residues accumulate and bake into rock-hard carbon deposits, which can be very difficult to remove.”

1.http://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-driv...ector-cleaning

2. https://books.google.ae/books?id=gGt...%20why&f=false

3. http://www.totalautowny.com/support/low_gas.mgi

Sorry for the off topic but somehow it got derailed, it's all in the off topic "shitstorm" thread.
Owen Heatwole is Technical Support and Environmental Health and Safety manager for Solid Start automotive maintenance service chemicals and equipment. He has a stake in companies that sell you false products to "clean" or "flush" an engine. Here is their product line of stuff:
http://www.solidstart.biz/products.html

HE does not once mention a specific ASE article....

1) This article talks about build up of carbon deposits on injectors, not an issue on our cars because we have port and direct injection, the direct injection may get carbon buildup, but the port injection helps "wash" that off. What they describe does not occur at the high pressure fuel pump it is not hot enough for that to happen.

2) Article would not load correctly because of .ae designation in the site tags which leads me to believe you are from the UAE? Also check the copyright date of that, fuels are much more different today than the 90s

3) What are you trying to prove with this article? It talks about moisture in gas tanks nothing about residue you are so adamant about

Stop random googling in hopes of proving something this thread needs to be locked
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Cole (12-18-2015), Eighty 6 (12-18-2015), Tcoat (12-18-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 08:12 AM   #52
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
In before the lock
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
Eighty 6 (12-18-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 08:42 AM   #53
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
All this has gone to show is that people will cherry-pick articles and information (sometimes ignoring outright, basic, unbiased facts and science) to back up their opinions. Yes, heat soak does happen, carbon buildup is real, but we're talking about over the lifetime of the car. Unless you are a true car abuser, this really won't apply to you.

To think, I was actually curious about the bumper misalignment, since mine has been that way for over a year now. I agree, time to lock the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HunterGreene For This Useful Post:
Cole (12-18-2015), Eighty 6 (12-18-2015), FRSBRZGT86FAN (12-18-2015), fumanchu1 (12-18-2015), Tcoat (12-18-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 08:47 AM   #54
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
All this has gone to show is that people will cherry-pick articles and information (sometimes ignoring outright, basic, unbiased facts and science) to back up their opinions. Yes, heat soak does happen, carbon buildup is real, but we're talking about over the lifetime of the car. Unless you are a true car abuser, this really won't apply to you.

To think, I was actually curious about the bumper misalignment, since mine has been that way for over a year now. I agree, time to lock the thread.
And heat soak does not create a buildup in your fuel tank. It is not even remotely related to the claim that there is material from the fuel building up in the bottom of your fuel tank.
Cole (12-18-2015), Eighty 6 (12-18-2015), HunterGreene (12-18-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 08:55 AM   #55
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
But this thread has so much more potential. Look at the Uphill Start thread, it's made it like 27 pages
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
Eighty 6 (12-18-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 08:57 AM   #56
Eighty 6

Take this to the "shitstorm" thread, this is too off topic. Read my last post and answer clearly.

Closed Thread