follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-24-2015, 05:36 PM   #15
mmmcambelsoup

Drives: FR-S 10 series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fx35s View Post
My car just threw me the P0016.
I felt like my car was a bit sluggish, but it could be just me seeing all these traction control light and CEL that make me panic. lol

Going to the dealer first thing in the morning tomorrow.
@lol @fx35s any updates on what happened when you went to the dealer? Did the reflash do the trick??

10 series // TRD x Turbo Build:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79474
mmmcambelsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:57 PM   #16
fx35s

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmcambelsoup View Post
@lol @fx35s any updates on what happened when you went to the dealer? Did the reflash do the trick??
Here ya go- hope this helps.
Everything was under a warranty and it took about 3-4 weeks for the Subaru dealership to get my car back to me because it was the first case with them and they wanted to record everything they do with my car for to-go fix.

In the mean time I drove Subaru Forest (I think..) and when I finally got back in my car after so long my brz felt like a f****** racecar. I think I might buy Forester or Outback just so that I'd drive it for a long time in the winter and go back in brz in spring to have fun in the car hahah

But yeah- good luck.
Attached Images

fx35s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:44 PM   #17
Stockton_Bomb

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
OP relax. I'm going through this right now too. Car is at the dealer. They already replaced the ECU and it didn't fix the issue so they are replacing two sensors now. I too have an aftermarket exhaust, along with new wheels, but my warranty is intact. As long as you don't have any mods that have changed how the engine or powertrain operates and haven't neglected your car, it'll be fine.
Stockton_Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:48 PM   #18
Stockton_Bomb

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fx35s View Post
My car just threw me the P0016.
I felt like my car was a bit sluggish, but it could be just me seeing all these traction control light and CEL that make me panic. lol

Going to the dealer first thing in the morning tomorrow.
The car will be sluggish because it goes into limp **** mode. My car did the same, as to protect the engine from you damaging it further if it is a mechanical problem. It's safe enough to drive to the dealer and wherever you absolutely need to go, but it's probably not the best time to go canyon racing just yet, if that makes sense.
Stockton_Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:53 PM   #19
patrickm

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Firestorm Red
I know this is an old post, but I just had this code pulled on my 2013 FR-S. My mechanic told me this was caused by low oil levels causing an oil pressure drop. Did an oil change, cleared codes and did a test-drive and everything was a-ok. Hopefully it stays that way.
patrickm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:48 PM   #20
rusty959

Drives: DGM BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickm View Post
I know this is an old post, but I just had this code pulled on my 2013 FR-S. My mechanic told me this was caused by low oil levels causing an oil pressure drop. Did an oil change, cleared codes and did a test-drive and everything was a-ok. Hopefully it stays that way.
Dealing with that code right now. Keep in mind that code won't come back until at least the second time you drive the car.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #21
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
I can see it maybe having a relation with that, as my oil level was slightly below minimum when I changed it after the code and I had been tracking the car regularly. But clearing the code only made it come back after the second start cycle or after driving hard for a minute or two. The car will probably feel similar below 5k rpm, but it will sound slightly off (less loud than usual) and have lower power (VVT is off basically when the code is on).
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:19 PM   #22
patrickm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty959 View Post
Dealing with that code right now. Keep in mind that code won't come back until at least the second time you drive the car.
Yep. It sure as hell did come back on. Took about 5 miles after driving it home. Took it to the dealer and they tried a couple of things to diagnose it, but still no fix yet. They don't think it's the sensor since they swapped the sensors and it threw the same code for the same side as before, so they are thinking it may be a cam issue now. Ugh.
The Following User Says Thank You to patrickm For This Useful Post:
Respect BRZ (12-20-2017)
Old 01-29-2018, 05:45 PM   #23
patrickm

A quick update. After about 6 weeks at the dealer, they finally look to have fixed this. Thankfully I was under warranty.
They tried reflashing first. Code came back. Swapped the sensors and code still tripped on the same bank, so they ruled the sensors out. Then they had to drop the oil pan to check or shavings, pan came back clean. Finally they replaced the cam gear (and many seals and the water pump) and put her back together. I made sure they test drove it for a decent run of miles and then run it again for another short test drive just to make sure the fix stuck.

Keep your fingers crossed. Feels good to have my car back.
The Following User Says Thank You to patrickm For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-29-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 12:23 AM   #24
rusty959

Drives: DGM BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
A quick update. After about 6 weeks at the dealer, they finally look to have fixed this. Thankfully I was under warranty.
They tried reflashing first. Code came back. Swapped the sensors and code still tripped on the same bank, so they ruled the sensors out. Then they had to drop the oil pan to check or shavings, pan came back clean. Finally they replaced the cam gear (and many seals and the water pump) and put her back together. I made sure they test drove it for a decent run of miles and then run it again for another short test drive just to make sure the fix stuck.

Keep your fingers crossed. Feels good to have my car back.
So the ECU has not been replaced? I'm curious to know if the code stays away with the stock ECU, so far I believe every one I've heard of the ECU had to be swapped as well.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:16 PM   #25
patrickm

One of the first things they tried was reflashing, so maybe that cleared those, I'm not sure.

Looking at the final invoice that corrected the issue, it looks like they replaced the cam sprocket and the vvt valve with ECM. The water pump had developed a very small leak near the vvt, so it's possible that was the root cause. They replaced the water pump as well. So far it's been running perfectly.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:49 PM   #26
BestFRS

Drives: 2013 FRS
After dealer has rebuilt the engine due to oil leak and got my car back this Monday (after 4 weeks in shop). Now I am dealing with P0016 and will see what they find. The oil leak was the 4th time repair and finally the replaced whole bunch of engine internal components.
BestFRS is offline   Reply With Quote