follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-04-2014, 11:28 PM   #127
Sleepless

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
That being said I lol'd at the guy who tried to say buy a name-brand tuning part for greater resale value
I LOL at the guy that can't read
Old 11-04-2014, 11:45 PM   #128
dabocx

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I like the power delivery but that price for that power is a tough pill to swallow. Its not the same but any of the gtx28 series turbo kits just seem like a better value though they do have a different curve.
dabocx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:46 PM   #129
dabocx

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Does it include pump and injectors? Im assuming that and a smaller pulley will make up the next upgrade, and a built motor.
dabocx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:49 PM   #130
SubaSteve
Captain Cocoa

Drives: CBS BRZ MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
all of you trying to associate quality with cosworth like its a 100% given..

doth thou not remember the sti/evo cams? Their miata kits? Their "built" EJ series boxer engines skipping timing belt teeth and shredding valves?

bros, I'm all for paying for premium... but let's not associate quality with a shop that has been performing pretty shoddily in their consumer market offerings lately.

That being said I lol'd at the guy who tried to say buy a name-brand tuning part for greater resale value
It's fine a couple guys will pick up the kit saying how awesome it is and either their car or the kit will be listed on the members classifieds after a couple months.
SubaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:12 AM   #131
Fastbrew

Drives: 2014 Pearl White BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Looks nice - a little late for my initial money. Went with an AVO running a conservative 10psi/290WHP on pump gas. Installed and tuned by an expert - under 7K including the labor. Very happy.

I will save my pennies now and watch the LSX drop-ins (like Vorshlag) If I decide to pop down a bunch more cash on this car - it will be an NA vette engine/new tranny in this little coupe.
Fastbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #132
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Why is that so funny? Are you saying a Set of Volk wheels are gonna be worth the same as a set of Rotas when they're used? Or a set of KW coil-overs will be worth the same as a set of Stance coil-overs? What about the value of a Recaro seat as opposed to a Corbeau? I don't see how this is any different. Go look at how much an original HKS supercharger or turbo kit goes for in the AE86 Corolla/MR2 market; if you can find one, because most people won't sell them, they are worth a good chunk of change even today. Name brand, even if quality is the same, will prevail over time. Because people, like myself, are brand whores. *shrug*

I will say this regarding resale: we can't all be that stupid if we bought BRZ's; the resale value on Subarus is insanely good compared to every other car on the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
The nameless wouldn't fit with your kit so for you it's a moot point. But that particular Tomei product looks like crap compared to the nameless one. The Tomei looks like a re-badged vivid racing/agency power header.
I won't lie; I realized I was getting what I paid for when I un-boxed it. This is clearly not made in their facility in Japan; quite possibly re-branded and most certainly made in China. A bit disappointed considering I actually went to Tomei Powered in Japan and got a tour of their facility. Their other parts (especially their RB26 race engine, *drool*) are world class. I don't doubt the performance will be good, but I would've felt better knowing it was developed and made in-house. Oh well, it's got Tomei stamped on it, so resale value LOL

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:50 AM   #133
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
I LOL at the guy that can't read
Sorry Pete, didn't mean to single you out.

I hope Cosworth gets it right with their newer offerings, because their track record in non-shop (read: consumer) offerings have been lackluster in the boxer department and downright horrible in other arenas.

Just some food for thought, all that glitters is not gold

Last edited by Koa; 11-05-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:58 AM   #134
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Why is that so funny? Are you saying a Set of Volk wheels are gonna be worth the same as a set of Rotas when they're used? Or a set of KW coil-overs will be worth the same as a set of Stance coil-overs? What about the value of a Recaro seat as opposed to a Corbeau? I don't see how this is any different. Go look at how much an original HKS supercharger or turbo kit goes for in the AE86 Corolla/MR2 market; if you can find one, because most people won't sell them, they are worth a good chunk of change even today.

I will say this regarding resale: we can't all be that stupid if we bought BRZ's; the resale value on Subarus is insanely good compared to every other car on the market.
There are two aspects that work against this logic:
  • Time Value of Money
  • Depreciation of high-performance assets

The first notes that any initial money spent, compounded with the less-than-face-value resell price at a future point down the road, crushes the aspect of planning to significantly re-coup money from the kit if one wanted to sell it down the road (given that the kit doesn't malfunction or otherwise become impossible to sell)

The second notes that high-performance assets depreciate at a faster rate than other assets, such as wheels and aero kits (given how they were maintained/treated/exposed to elements of course).
--

That being said, yes the Cossy kit will have better re-sale value. That's a given. The argument here is that the initial outlay of their higher price works against other less expensive homebrew solutions that, while may re-sell for less, cost less to begin with and thus the time value of money and depreciation elements impact the investment less, resulting in a greater chance the cosworth kit indeed was not a smarter net disposal cash inflow. This is not speaking to the performance aspects of the kit versus other solutions.
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #135
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I won't lie; I realized I was getting what I paid for when I un-boxed it. This is clearly not made in their facility in Japan; quite possibly re-branded and most certainly made in China. A bit disappointed considering I actually went to Tomei Powered in Japan and got a tour of their facility. Their other parts (especially their RB26 race engine, *drool*) are world class. I don't doubt the performance will be good, but I would've felt better knowing it was developed and made in-house. Oh well, it's got Tomei stamped on it, so resale value LOL
Just some FYI: When the agency power headers first came out they were marketed as being the best things ever. However, once the thrid party dynos came out and showed a power loss it wasn't long before the vivid racing and agency power reps were banned for lying and disinformation. (that was by no means the only part they lied about.) I don't know if the Tomie header is exactly the same design, it looks close in the pics, but the runner diameters might be different, etc. Good luck with the build.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
Koa (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #136
qqfob

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
The Tomei exhaust stuff is from Taiwan.

On that note, the Cosworth parts from the previous few years were engineered by Cosworth USA, probably made here as well. Their US hqs are now closed, and the FA20 parts are from UK where the reputation is still solid. Not to take anything from Cosworth US, they do have all the necessary equipments, but they simple are not F1 manufacturer. And we can only speculate on why their doors are now closed
qqfob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to qqfob For This Useful Post:
Koa (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #137
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqfob View Post
The Tomei exhaust stuff is from Taiwan.

I knew when there were no markings on the packaging stating "Made in Japan" that they weren't in fact made in Japan. They're very proud to announce that just as we are in the U.S. of A.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:38 PM   #138
EZWood
BAMF

Drives: 13 fr-s, whiteout, MT. 94 ZJ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
http://shop.namelessperformance.com/...-4-2-1-header/

http://www.tomeiusa.com/_2003web-cat...brz_equal.html

The nameless wouldn't fit with your kit so for you it's a moot point. But that particular Tomei product looks like crap compared to the nameless one. The Tomei looks like a re-badged vivid racing/agency power header.

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/2...-p-157316.html

The differences definitely outweigh the superficial similarities. If you glance at these two pictures, they appear similar, but like I said before, there are some big differences between these two headers.
EZWood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EZWood For This Useful Post:
Calum (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 02:09 AM   #139
350matt

Drives: toyota mr2/ Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
divided by 1.36 (roughly) so it is like 290 hp and 224 lbft torque at flywheel, not bad but not mind blowing either considering the fact the kit costs almost twice as much as the Kraftwerks kit and it lacks the linear tq curve that other positive displacement Superchargers..so if I don't have the linear/early torque advantage of a Innovate/Sprintex kit and track-ability advantage of the Rotrex units, what do I gain with this kit? brand name?

its not shy of torque low down though is it?
it makes 200Nm from 1500 rpm ( as much as a stock car makes at peak) and builds from there and this SC and intercooler setup supposed to be good 380Bhp and 450nm but obviously needs a built engine to go with this

plus I'd be surprised if it suffered from the heat soak issues of the innovate kit as the inter cooler cores are about 4x the size
350matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 350matt For This Useful Post:
ajc209 (11-10-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 02:45 AM   #140
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350matt View Post
its not shy of torque low down though is it?
it makes 200Nm from 1500 rpm ( as much as a stock car makes at peak) and builds from there and this SC and intercooler setup supposed to be good 380Bhp and 450nm but obviously needs a built engine to go with this

plus I'd be surprised if it suffered from the heat soak issues of the innovate kit as the inter cooler cores are about 4x the size
for what use? street or track?
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote