follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-28-2014, 11:53 AM   #15
Malt

Drives: 2015 WRX
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrsDuke View Post
Compromise

http://shop.namelessperformance.com/...ed-track-pipe/

I love my track pipe, but worry how loud it'll be once I get my header.
It will be loud... very loud and raspy and annoying.

EDIT: I often wonder if people truly think these things sound good or if they are looking for the absolute cheapest option to make their car louder without any thought to how it affects everyone around them. There are laws about requiring mufflers for a reason.

EDIT #2: This reply wasn't meant as an insult, merely just remembering the time I had some douche that lived next to me with straight pipes on his mustang and he would crank it up every morning at 5:30 and let it idle for 30 minutes before going to work. The day he moved was just about the happiest day of that year. For the love of all that is holy, Don't be that guy
Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #16
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Drives: 2013 ultramarine frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Eh. The track pipe with no other mods is much tamer than I feared. I quite like it and get compliments constantly. Haven't had anyone say anything negative surprisingly. That being said, yes I may well have to reinstall my stock muffler when I get the header. Several folks here have heard my car and can attest to the sound being much nicer than some axlebacks that are in circulation.

Cold start is rowdy, but it quiets down significantly when warm.

I took no offense. I certainly want quality sound when I'm finished. @FR-S Matt could perhaps chime in with an account of my current sound.

-Duke
FrsDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #17
Malt

Quote:
Sadly, that's when it has the most effect on everyone around you in your neighborhood (if you live in one). My Perrin exhaust is almost to loud on cold starts with the header, I can't imagine what a track pipe with a header would sound like (probably rage inducing at 5:30 am). At least you'll have the decency to put back on an exhaust once you get your header.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #18
BlueDubbinTDI

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2012 MCS
If you want to drone yourself to death at 2400rpm then delete that muffler bruh. Mine lasted 3 weeks before I took it off.
BlueDubbinTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #19
FrsDuke
Fanboy

I live in the sticks 8) also with my OFT my coldstarts and drone are much better than stock.. shorter and quieter.
I was most surprised when the drone was reduced.

Again this is stock exhaust otherwise. Once I get the NP header with no cat it'll be a new ball game and have to be reevaluated. I have the stock axleback ready as needed.

Stock exhaust with a track pipe is not nearly as bad as folks imagine. On a cold start people immediately smile and nod then they are shocked when it drops down to normal idle and it's very quiet. The berk Dual delete my buddy has is MUCH worse than my track pipe.

-Duke
Old 01-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #20
Malt

Quote:
I live in the sticks 8) also with my OFT my coldstarts and drone are much better than stock.. shorter and quieter.
I was most surprised when the drone was reduced.
I'm running a S2 OFT map and I can tell you that even though it's improved from stock, its still loud on cold mornings with a header. I quickly move the car (slowly) out of the driveway just to get the loudness gone. Once you are moving it stops that racket. Its the one thing I hate about my 3" exhaust.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #21
EvilBeaverFace
Not trying to be a ****

Drives: BRZ - 6MT - GBS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt View Post
I think you'll find it extremely unlikely that any actual wind tunnel testing will occur on any aero product made available for this platform. I'm sure you are aware that the costs of such testing are extremely prohibitive and most people that actually perform them do so after countless simulations like what was performed on that diffuser. I think you'll find that the simulations are for the most part plenty good enough for our application and from what I've read the borla diffuser, while somewhat attractive, doesn't extend far enough past the bumper to do much of anything more than the factory solution.
Yeah, I get all of that. I think you were reading into what I said a little too much. It wasn't a complaint at all or a request for more people to do wind tunnel testing, just a statement that no one has. I also said I wasn't trying to discredit the research they had completed. I guess I should have explained myself a little better...
EvilBeaverFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:21 PM   #22
Malt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilBeaverFace View Post
Yeah, I get all of that. I think you were reading into what I said a little too much. It wasn't a complaint at all or a request for more people to do wind tunnel testing, just a statement that no one has. I also said I wasn't trying to discredit the research they had completed. I guess I should have explained myself a little better...
No disagreement here, I think we're both reading into the words written to much.

Diffusers = Awesome
Trackpipes/Muffler Delete = not so much...

EDIT: on that note OP, wonderbar's rear diffuser would provide more asthetics (IMO) and actual performance increases in all areas than a track pipe ever would, while staying your price range.

Last edited by Malt; 01-28-2014 at 12:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Malt For This Useful Post:
EvilBeaverFace (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 12:35 PM   #23
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt View Post
I'm running a S2 OFT map and I can tell you that even though it's improved from stock, its still loud on cold mornings with a header. I quickly move the car (slowly) out of the driveway just to get the loudness gone. Once you are moving it stops that racket. Its the one thing I hate about my 3" exhaust.
If money were no object my next purchase would be the 3" front/over pipe with cat and resonator. I think NP header with that front and stock mid/axle would be just about perfect for me.

What are you running right now? Fr-s Matt's 3" was bonkers! Easily twice as loud as my setup lol. You running SC or Turbo?

-Duke
Old 01-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #24
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Eh. The track pipe with no other mods is much tamer than I feared. I quite like it and get compliments constantly. Haven't had anyone say anything negative surprisingly. That being said, yes I may well have to reinstall my stock muffler when I get the header. Several folks here have heard my car and can attest to the sound being much nicer than some axlebacks that are in circulation.

I took no offense. I certainly want quality sound when I'm finished. @FR-S Matt could perhaps chime in with an account of my current sound.
The track pipe is not overwhelming at all on a complete stock exhaust. It sounds really good actually. Cold start is bad on a lot of systems. Even my Q300 gets rough on the cold start with my header.

Anything upgraded beyond the track pipe though, you will want to upgrade your axleback section with better mufflers.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #25
carma143

Drives: Toyota Highlander; Subaru BRZ (SWP)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well now, carma143, for average (non track) driving, if you want a more "sports car sound", I'd suggest you just go with an axle back muffler system; for example:

http://shop.namelessperformance.com/...eback-exhaust/

(get it with the muffler option)

It's simple, easy to install, relatively economical and sounds good.....
Would the 4 inch or 5 inch muffler be preferred? It's only a $10 difference but if there was an advantage over the other I would like to know.

Also, would I need to tune my car after the installation?
carma143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:01 PM   #26
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carma143 View Post
Would the 4 inch or 5 inch muffler be preferred? It's only a $10 difference but if there was an advantage over the other I would like to know.

Also, would I need to tune my car after the installation?
Axle back will not require a tune. In fact most exhausts and headers will not require a tune, but a header will benefit from one for sure. Beyond that you're probably throwing a lot of money at very small gains.

I'd go with the 5" if it's too quiet for you then you can get a header and gain power and volume. It will be louder than stock and sound MUCH better.

-Duke
Old 01-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #27
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
The track pipe is not overwhelming at all on a complete stock exhaust. It sounds really good actually. Cold start is bad on a lot of systems. Even my Q300 gets rough on the cold start with my header.

Anything upgraded beyond the track pipe though, you will want to upgrade your axleback section with better mufflers.
I'm gonna be doing my header install on my father's lift in College Station and trying it with the track pipe at first... if I make it out of the garage in that configuration you'll get to hear it, but I'm assuming I'll have to slap the stock muffler back on. Which I'm fine with. Track pipe was purchased just for the track but it was so mild I just left it on.

-Duke
Old 01-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #28
Malt

Quote:
If money were no object my next purchase would be the 3" front/over pipe with cat and resonator. I think NP header with that front and stock mid/axle would be just about perfect for me.

What are you running right now? Fr-s Matt's 3" was bonkers! Easily twice as loud as my setup lol. You running SC or Turbo?
I currently have a borla UEL (soon to be replaced with shiv's open flash header) with a perrin overpipe, 3" catted perrin front pipe, and 3" resonated perrin catback. I had planned on going turbo eventually which is why I purchased the 3". Turbo's act as wonderful mufflers but I'm not so sure about my plans to go FI now as the car is plenty quick for my needs (occasional HPDE's).

If I could do it all again, I would not have bought the Perrin exhaust and instead used that money on an AP racing sprint kit. Not only is the exhaust a tad loud for my taste, the amount of money it cost isn't really equal to the actual performance gains it provided. I purchased it literally the day I got the car before I did any research but at least I didn't waste any money on an intake.

Tags
cost, deletes, exhaust