follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #15
dirtbike250x

Drives: '13 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Also another thread that I'm apart of has an extensive thread on poor experiences with magnaflow. I would stay away from them, just based on these threads. Some say they have no problems with their equipment, but it seems when something goes bad they aren't going to back up what they produce.
-TRD Catback, UEL Header and Tune, Blitz Drop in Filter, Mishimoto Silicone Intake tube, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, 17x9 w/245/40/17 PSS, RS*R Coilovers custom track alignment, Check out my YouTube for more track videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA9...O1T2Q3xu4m4bYQ
dirtbike250x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #16
RiskyTrousers

Drives: '87 Corolla GTS, '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pele86 View Post
Got any vids?
[ame]http://youtu.be/szjp57Pon9s[/ame]

Set up in the video is Borla UEL headers, Borla exhaust and factory midpipe.

Last edited by RiskyTrousers; 06-04-2013 at 01:02 AM.
RiskyTrousers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiskyTrousers For This Useful Post:
Freetime (06-04-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #17
sittinSideways

Drives: '13 Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pele86 View Post
So i recently just purchased berks track pipe and im not to satisfied with having only one exhaust tip. I've been thinking about getting the borla or magnaflow exhaust system for some time now but i just cant decide on which one. Also i feel like the youtube videos arent doing enough justice for the exhaust. Has anyone dealt with either one and we're you satisfied with the sound and quality any help would be appreciated. thinking about ordering one today! And lastly i have an injen cold air intake on the car.
Why not just get the Berk Dual-Exit (so it has two exhaust tips) Muffler Delete? You shave about 30 lbs or so of weight off the back, and you gain decent power relative to other catbacks (search for Dynosty's dyno comparison of different exhausts). Also, it only costs $300.

I personally looked at Borla, but after seeing some images that highlighted the substandard quality on their UEL headers, and after seeing a few threads about shitty Borla diffuser fitment, I decided not to go that route.

As for Magnaflow, I have not done any research on them, though the comments in this thread about their quality are not positive. I would personally choose the Berk Dual-Exit for the superior weight savings, cheaper price, and likely comparable levels of power gain.
sittinSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:29 AM   #18
Fast_Freddy

Drives: Passat
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
FWIW, the Magnaflow CB is mostly 409ss which is what oems use. 409ss holds up pretty well but can't be polished and will take on a rust-brown coloration very quickly. IMO the Magnaflow system should be priced similarly to it's only real competition, that being the $500 Flowmaster cat-back.

The Borla catback may not be the highest quality catback available but it is constructed of superior 304ss and a full 10 lbs lighter than the oem system. The Berk dual exit should beat Borla, Magnaflow, etc. for weight savings, price and meager power gains but at the expense of being ricer loud with obnoxious in-cabin drone.
Fast_Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:18 AM   #19
kioton32

Drives: 14' Monogram FRS, ulramarine, white
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy View Post
FWIW, the Magnaflow CB is mostly 409ss which is what oems use. 409ss holds up pretty well but can't be polished and will take on a rust-brown coloration very quickly. IMO the Magnaflow system should be priced similarly to it's only real competition, that being the $500 Flowmaster cat-back.

The Borla catback may not be the highest quality catback available but it is constructed of superior 304ss and a full 10 lbs lighter than the oem system. The Berk dual exit should beat Borla, Magnaflow, etc. for weight savings, price and meager power gains but at the expense of being ricer loud with obnoxious in-cabin drone.
I have the prototype cat-back from flowmaster... It's very light and sounds really good... Nice low tones... I think it was something like 22 lbs lighter then stock.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:01 AM   #20
Fast_Freddy

Drives: Passat
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kioton32 View Post
I have the prototype cat-back from flowmaster... It's very light and sounds really good... Nice low tones... I think it was something like 22 lbs lighter then stock.
I've heard a sound clip of the Flowmaster CB and it does sound nice. Very similar to the Magnaflow CB.

I believe you may have dropped a decimal point from the weight difference between Flowmaster and stock. 2.2 lbs lighter is believable, 22 lbs lighter could only be possible if they used paper-thin 409 steel (which can't be mandrel bent) or aluminum (which they did not).
Fast_Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #21
kioton32

Drives: 14' Monogram FRS, ulramarine, white
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy View Post
I've heard a sound clip of the Flowmaster CB and it does sound nice. Very similar to the Magnaflow CB.

I believe you may have dropped a decimal point from the weight difference between Flowmaster and stock. 2.2 lbs lighter is believable, 22 lbs lighter could only be possible if they used paper-thin 409 steel (which can't be mandrel bent) or aluminum (which they did not).
When I change the rest of the exhaust ill take it off and weigh it... It's a lot lighter then stock... I thought it was a joke at first... But is super light.
Also, I accidentally pushed 22... It was supposed to say 12...