follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #701
clayrush

Drives: FRS,09 370z, 00 CelicaGT-S, 85 300Z
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My 2000 Celica GT-S was 24.5k back when I bought it. I think 13 years of inflation and the engineering behind it makes 25k a decent starting point. If 25k breaks your bank, try going out to dinner one less time per month and cancel your netflix!
clayrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:06 AM   #702
cassidy0998

Drives: '99 Ranger / '94 APU Supra / Ninja!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm really bummed out by this price. $25k is just too much. I believe I'm going to take my money elsewhere.

I KNOW! GOOD FOR ME RIGHT!!! YEAH I'LL GO BUY A MUSTANG OR SOMETHING....

Please don't give me that spill.

Sheesh guys. $25k base is way too much for this car. It's just a regular ole car!

There will be people paying $30k plus when it's loaded! NOOO WAY!
cassidy0998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:07 AM   #703
bloomy116

Drives: 2010 Honda Civic Si
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRZ415 View Post
from the shape ... I think its the same spoiler which comes
on the BRZ limited ... which makes sense since its essentially
the vehicle rolling out of FHI plan with different badges.

I got a feeling there will be a release series that'll be TRD out
like the Celica ACTION package back in 2003 ((fast n furious days))
Right. I am hoping for a release series with leather seats lol. I guess it is feasible, since the tC Release Series exists (which I don't quite understand since I thought Scion was all about mono-spec.....)
bloomy116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:07 AM   #704
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
now every thread is full of arguing since the price was announced lol
Old 03-22-2012, 01:08 AM   #705
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt86mods View Post
I can't believe people think 25k is expensive for this car. What were you people thinking?
Well I can only speak for myself, but I was thinking how great it would be for this car to start in the low 20's so it could end up mid-20's (24-26) with optional OEM aero and wheels -- where owners could feel good about purchasing a new car without spending a lot of money. I like the idea of spending less on the car and more on enjoying it (events, trips, etc). Simple, fun, cost-effective, is how I see this car. And when it starts to push toward $30k it loses some appeal.

I still want to drive one, but a $25k base price makes it a tougher pill to swallow and makes me really bummed that the Subie is going to be a $30k car just to get leather and rally war paint.

Of course, everyone has a different perspective and budget and may see things very differently - and that's cool.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:08 AM   #706
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Because I'm not objective at all, I have no reason to be objective.
At that is the issue. I was quoting you in reference to the weight of the car. I don't care about the other personal opinions. You said it weighed almost a ton more than the FRS. I was stating you were unfair in picking the heaviest V6 version when you should have picked the base 2.0T which is priced similarly. When you do that the weight is closer to 600lbs difference, a long ways from the 1/2 ton you were talking about.

Weight is a scientific term and is measured. It doesn't have an opinion.

Quote:
I've driven a Genesis & it felt cheap and overweight. I didn't like it and I feel it's more of a GT car than a sports car. However if you think the Genesis won't be compared to the FR-S/BRZ in all the car mags/online blogs you're delusional. They are going after the same crowd and are at similar price points.
Never once did I say that they won't be compared.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:11 AM   #707
Capt Canuck

Drives: BMW E36 323is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post
now every thread is full of arguing since the price was announced lol
Fcuk you! No they aren't!
Dumbass!

Old 03-22-2012, 01:13 AM   #708
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margovincent_22x View Post
article dates back to dec 2011 no longer valid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
lol
I should of just posted it reading those pages took forever and then someone else already made a thread for it
Old 03-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #709
Alias
Resident Genius

Drives: Subaru Legacy GT, 1990 Geo Prizm
Quote:
Your point? I never specified which Genesis,

I just wanted to point out that the mustang is a WAAAY better purchase because it only has to carry 5.9lbs per horsepower where the FRS has to carry around 13.5lbs per horsepower.

Also pulls over 1 G on the skidpad so it probably handles better than the brz.

Which trim level? Oh that doesn't really matter, they're all under the same model name so they're fair to compare.
Alias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:15 AM   #710
Capt Canuck

Drives: BMW E36 323is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias View Post

Grip is not handling. It is a component of handling.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:17 AM   #711
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias View Post
I just wanted to point out that the mustang is a WAAAY better purchase because it only has to carry 5.9lbs per horsepower where the FRS has to carry around 13.5lbs per horsepower.

Which trim level? Oh that doesn't really matter, they're all under the same model name so they're fair to compare.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:18 AM   #712
gt86mods
Toyobaru Obsessed

Drives: 97' Civic Coupe
Quote:
At that is the issue. I was quoting you in reference to the weight of the car. I don't care about the other personal opinions. You said it weighed almost a ton more than the FRS. I was stating you were unfair in picking the heaviest V6 version when you should have picked the base 2.0T which is priced similarly. When you do that the weight is closer to 600lbs difference, a long ways from the 1/2 ton you were talking about.

Weight is a scientific term and is measured. It doesn't have an opinion.

Never once did I say that they won't be compared.
Even if you compare the FR-S to the 2.0T it still has almost 80 more HP and well over 100 more tq. On paper those who are all about POWARRR will be like "The FR-S is a rip-off" but these people don't realize that they are effectively driving a car with 600lbs of fat on it. Yeah the GC may be a little faster in a straight line but it won't feel nearly the same handling wise as a result.

I'm sorry but I've been on this forum long enough to know that you constantly call people out on their posts, I never had any intention to compare the cheapest GC with the base FR-S, I'll admit this. My point was that the Genesis is a heavier car and by using an extreme example got my point across better. The base 3.8 is less than 3k more than a base FR-S, and the Genesis comes with more standard features to boot.

What are the predictions for the BRZ's price? If it ends up being 2k more for a Limited then that's pretty darn close to a 3.8's price plus the BRZ's base features are much closer to those that come in a base 3.8 GC. I don't see the need to call someone out and make a joke about their argument. It's just internet bullying.

Canon Photographer - My Website - Flickr Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86'd View Post
That's it. I'm cancelling my pre pre-order.
gt86mods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:19 AM   #713
joel

Drives: '02 WRX, '79 CB650, '74 CB200
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwheelbase View Post
Well I can only speak for myself, but I was thinking how great it would be for this car to start in the low 20's so it could end up mid-20's (24-26) with optional OEM aero and wheels -- where owners could feel good about purchasing a new car without spending a lot of money. I like the idea of spending less on the car and more on enjoying it (events, trips, etc). Simple, fun, cost-effective, is how I see this car. And when it starts to push toward $30k it loses some appeal.

I still want to drive one, but a $25k base price makes it a tougher pill to swallow and makes me really bummed that the Subie is going to be a $30k car just to get leather and rally war paint.

Of course, everyone has a different perspective and budget and may see things very differently - and that's cool.
^This. Exactly what I'm thinking.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:21 AM   #714
JohnnyR

Drives: 04 Evo 8
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I thought it was the pure enthusiasts and fanboys who will buy it. Window shoppers won't cause they will look at the HP and MSRP and say "I can get X car with more HP for less $."
Fanboys yes, window shoppers ("zomg it's looks", they don't research competition specs) yes, pure enthusiasts probably even less now. 25k after destination is far far too little car for the money. Many alternatives out there for the money, not just new, but also in the 2-3 year old used segment. Toyota and Subaru really screwed the pooch (enthusiast wise). 21-23k is what this car should actually be priced at for what you get.

I want to see test results on this car now. To me it's overpriced, even for a not bore you to death daily commuter even, which was my intents on this car. My new fun/toy car is going to be a new Boss in green.
JohnnyR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 scion fr-s, 2012 scion fr-s price, 2012 scion fr-s pricing, 2013 fr-s price, 2013 fr-s pricing, 2013 frs price, 2013 scion fr-s, 2013 scion fr-s price, fr-s, frs, price, pricing, scion fr-s pricing, scion fr-s retail price, scion frs price, scion frs pricing, scion frs retail price