follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 01-31-2015, 11:20 PM   #1
otterpop

Drives: 2015 scion frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help with Sound Quality

Hey everyone, just to start off, I am not really that knowledgeable on sound quality, so easy on the flaming.

So i have a 2015 Scion FRS with the Pioneer Touch screen HU and I just installed a 10" sealed JL Audio Subwoofer and AMP. The bass is phenomenal but I am tending to turn my bass down just so that I can get some clarity out of the mids and highs.

I basically only listen to Rock, classic, and even harder hitting like Fiver Finger Death Punch.

My question is, what should I upgrade to make the car have a more clear high and mid sound to give a song a better clarity? Should I buy a new Radio? (I don't care about it being touch screen) or should I get new door speakers, and or tweeters? (If so, can you please recommend a brand and possibly a size)

Thank you all for your input. Sorry I don't know much just trying to learn.
otterpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:51 PM   #2
Chanpion

Drives: 13 FRS Satin
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It's either your speakers or your music file quality. Most likely your speakers, in detail, tweaters. Tweaters and all the speakers located on the top deck handle most of your highs and some of the mids. I personally haven't look but there may be a second set of speakers here that handle the mids. I'm not completely sure about the specific door speakers but they should be the ones handling the lows and some mids. Most people think that bass is good quality music. You've got some great ears there for realizing that it's not just bass. Some low quality speakers boost decibels or bass to mask their low quality to trick people that they're good.
I'm not so familiar with your HU but before you go spending massive money on new speakers, if your HU has an equalizer, kinda looks like this; You can fine tune your frequency ranges. At your low end is your bass frequencies and mid frequencies and usually on your right are the highs. Basically, pump up some of the mids and highs to force your speakers to play more in those ranges and maybe get a better sound out of them. If they're complete crap speakers it won't help but it's worth a try before spending massive dough on speakers. Unless you're rich, go for it. I'm a not a dedicated audio tech but I tried to help as much as possible so take my advice with a grain of salt.
Chanpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chanpion For This Useful Post:
otterpop (02-01-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 12:16 AM   #3
otterpop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanpion View Post
It's either your speakers or your music file quality. Most likely your speakers, in detail, tweaters. Tweaters and all the speakers located on the top deck handle most of your highs and some of the mids. I personally haven't look but there may be a second set of speakers here that handle the mids. I'm not completely sure about the specific door speakers but they should be the ones handling the lows and some mids. Most people think that bass is good quality music. You've got some great ears there for realizing that it's not just bass. Some low quality speakers boost decibels or bass to mask their low quality to trick people that they're good.
I'm not so familiar with your HU but before you go spending massive money on new speakers, if your HU has an equalizer, kinda looks like this; You can fine tune your frequency ranges. At your low end is your bass frequencies and mid frequencies and usually on your right are the highs. Basically, pump up some of the mids and highs to force your speakers to play more in those ranges and maybe get a better sound out of them. If they're complete crap speakers it won't help but it's worth a try before spending massive dough on speakers. Unless you're rich, go for it. I'm a not a dedicated audio tech but I tried to help as much as possible so take my advice with a grain of salt.
Thanks man, I'm pretty sure upgrading the tweeters will be best. I just want to have that nice clear guitar rift when It comes on haha. And unfortunately I do not have the equalizer settings. I wish I did.

Right now I'm playing the head unit in the options it gives as being
dsp low
Sound full
And treble is like at 8 bass is at I think 5
Old 02-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #4
Chanpion

Drives: 13 FRS Satin
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, give a listen to your speakers when all the settings such as bass and treble are at default 0 and see what frequency needs the most improvement. Replace those I guess?
Chanpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:57 PM   #5
brandonblt2
The Stig's African Cousin

Drives: 2014 wrb brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I recently upgraded my stock door speakers to a pair of Infinity Reference speakers it replaced a lot of sloppiness that was in the stock speakers and its now a lot clearer.
brandonblt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brandonblt2 For This Useful Post:
otterpop (02-01-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 01:43 PM   #6
otterpop

That's what I was thinking about doing then a buddy of mine who is big on audio suggested buying a better radio with more channels. He said the radio is what gives you the better quality. Say you're radio has 20 channels and you have 4 speakers. A speaker will only get 5 each. And most speakers are rated 5-50. So the better the radio with more channels, the clearer the sound. So I will try and research more about the stock radio. I'm still clueless on its specs though.