follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 08-30-2016, 11:45 AM   #1583
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
To be honest, I don't feel the extra weight at all, so no "extra" understeer than what is already there. Could be due to the location of that weight since the manifold (heaviest part) is situated near/aft of the center line of the front suspension, keeping the weight "in the middle" of the car (between the front & rear axles). Or I could just be full of sh*t...

Regarding the "willingness to be constantly revved up" I have found zero need to do that because of the new power band. Peak torque is actually earlier now, so I never have the need to wring out the car. The only reason I did when I was stock was to get more power in the first place, but that's not a problem anymore. I can just stick in 3rd and power on/off into/out of corners. On the track, I actually naturally found myself shifting around 6k rpm instead of redline. If you want something that requires you to be at the redline, with just a little more power, maybe E85 is more your style?

"Responsive" is such a loose term, so I'm not sure how to answer that. If you're talking about throttle mapping, yes, the CARB tune is much less "responsive" than say the DT tune, but not different from stock. I actually prefer the CARB tune since this is my daily driver.

Not sure if I'm answering your questions/concerns accurately (we can have different definitions) but since you're local, I'd be happy to meet up with you some time. PM me if you have more detailed questions

That response was perfect, thanks. There is only so much I can put into words. I'm sure a lot of things get lost in translation.

funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:10 PM   #1584
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
That response was perfect, thanks. There is only so much I can put into words. I'm sure a lot of things get lost in translation.

I should be getting Edelbrock $$$ for this @Edelbrock LLC
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
Edelbrock LLC (09-16-2016), funwheeldrive (08-30-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 10:37 AM   #1585
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Just as a reminder, all E-force purchases from CSG include a free D-box upon request.
is that retroactive for customers that purchased the e-force before the d-box came out, or do you offer a discoiunt in those cases?
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:46 PM   #1586
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
is that retroactive for customers that purchased the e-force before the d-box came out, or do you offer a discoiunt in those cases?
A discount is offered for owners before the offer became active!
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
sato (09-01-2016), shiumai (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 08:57 PM   #1587
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Ordered the D-box.....the boys at Moto-East recommend it as well.

Jumped on their Dyno and got some tweeks done by @moto-mike . Ended up with 230WHP/186TQ uncorrected on a Dynojet on 93 octane. Ambient air temp was 95F. Only other mod is a Tomei UEL header.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAhh_MFDN_M"]Edelbrock Supercharged BRZ - YouTube[/ame]
Attached Images

Last edited by BirdTRD; 08-31-2016 at 09:14 PM.
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BirdTRD For This Useful Post:
armstrom (09-02-2016), BigFatFlip (08-31-2016), Paulo86 (09-01-2016), sato (09-01-2016), Silverfox (09-01-2016), trd87t (09-01-2016), Xero-Limit (09-02-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 11:20 AM   #1588
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Hey folks, in regards the d-box, get it for this kit. The MAP sensor is way too close to the intake runner which causes pressure spikes that throw off fueling and cause misfires/rich mixture. We solved this problem on the sprintex kits with using a factory MAP sensor, but on the edelbrock you can't do that as the flange is different. The d-box will smooth out the signal and reduce the rich spikes which adds a good 15-20 hp and smooths things out. While we though of making a similar product, for what Bill charges for it I can't justify it, so just go for it and grab it. We've dyno'd it and showed those same gains they advertise
Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
BirdTRD (09-02-2016), Carlos_M (09-06-2016), CSG Mike (09-02-2016), djdnz (12-19-2016), Jonsey (09-02-2016), kch (09-02-2016), slipdog (09-06-2016), TofuJoe (09-03-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 11:29 AM   #1589
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Question

Can anyone compare this kit to the Sprintex kit as far as daily driver feel?

The Sprintex kit felt great at higher RPM but at low rpm I could never get rid of the hesitation/bunny hop. At first my tuner said it was air leaks so I took off the kit and fixed all the leaks but I still experienced it to some degree. A prime example was 3rd gear at 2500 rpm... i'd press on the accelerator and the car would bounce until it reached higher rpm. Granny driving/low rpm driving was just a pain and so unpleasant. I'd also get huge RPM dips when taking off from a stop unless I really laid into it.

After having the Sprintex kit on for almost 2 years I have recently gone back to stock and WOW.. it just feels so much better as a daily driver. No more bouncing/lurching. The torque dip sucks of course.

Before I take the plunge and go a different route (Edelbrock/Harrop) I thought I'd ask. Thanks

Maybe I should just go turbo!
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:35 AM   #1590
armstrom

Drives: none
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
Jumped on their Dyno and got some tweeks done by @moto-mike . Ended up with 230WHP/186TQ uncorrected on a Dynojet on 93 octane. Ambient air temp was 95F. Only other mod is a Tomei UEL header.
Thanks for posting your dyno pull and details! However, those power figures seem pretty low, or am I missing something? Edlebrock indicates a RWHP of ~245HP with the CARB tune. I would expect your car to be over 250RWHP with the addition of a UEL (more importantly, the removal of a cat!) What were the corrected figures? Would you be willing to share your run file?
-Matt
armstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to armstrom For This Useful Post:
sato (09-02-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 12:43 PM   #1591
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrom View Post
Thanks for posting your dyno pull and details! However, those power figures seem pretty low, or am I missing something? Edlebrock indicates a RWHP of ~245HP with the CARB tune. I would expect your car to be over 250RWHP with the addition of a UEL (more importantly, the removal of a cat!) What were the corrected figures? Would you be willing to share your run file?
-Matt

I got to be honest with you, I was hoping for a bit more as well.

For comparison sake though, @Rifle was just done right before mine and he has a full catless exhaust, just got the flex fuel kit and was running E85 (not sure if it was exactly E85 since he still had some 93 octane left in his tank) and has the intercooled Sprintex 210 kit with a 69mm pulley. His made 263HP/213TQ (uncorrected) I think. So his E85 and full exhaust got him 33HP over mine, same tuner, same day, same Dyno. (oh, and I have an AT, if that matters )

I was told a "corrected" dyno would be about 10% more, so 253HP for me and around 290HP for him, but I may be wrong.

Maybe @moto-mike could give a better explanation than me. As for the run file, I would share it if I had it, but I do not. I suspect Mike has it.

I do have a log file that I took on my way home that night if that's what you want to see?
Old 09-02-2016, 12:50 PM   #1592
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhj View Post

The Sprintex kit felt great at higher RPM but at low rpm I could never get rid of the hesitation/bunny hop. At first my tuner said it was air leaks so I took off the kit and fixed all the leaks but I still experienced it to some degree. A prime example was 3rd gear at 2500 rpm... i'd press on the accelerator and the car would bounce until it reached higher rpm. Granny driving/low rpm driving was just a pain and so unpleasant. I'd also get huge RPM dips when taking off from a stop unless I really laid into it.

After having the Sprintex kit on for almost 2 years I have recently gone back to stock and WOW.. it just feels so much better as a daily driver. No more bouncing/lurching. The torque dip sucks of course.

Before I take the plunge and go a different route (Edelbrock/Harrop) I thought I'd ask. Thanks

Imagine the car with a V6.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
brianhj (09-02-2016), Silverfox (09-03-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 01:00 PM   #1593
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
The Sprintex kit felt great at higher RPM but at low rpm I could never get rid of the hesitation/bunny hop. A prime example was 3rd gear at 2500 rpm... i'd press on the accelerator and the car would bounce until it reached higher rpm.
That's sounds very much like a tune issue. I don't have that on my Sprintex, I had similar when it was running lean or pulling timing aggressively.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
brianhj (09-02-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 01:14 PM   #1594
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Garage
Quote:

I've never driven a Sprintex before but I was having some slight issues with mine at low RPM's...really anything below 3k. Since mine is AT, if I'm on a straight, uneventful road, the car wants to get into 6th gear real fast, which puts me in those low RPM's. Sometimes when I would start gently pressing the accelerator, rather than downshifting, I could feel the car kind of hesitating, not wanting to go.

Mike was able to make some changes (cam timing I think) that seems to have really helped that issue. I haven't really driven it much since the Dyno tune, except for the 150 mile trip home from Moto-East, but I didn't spend a whole lot of time in "low RPM's" ... but I will this weekend to see if that issue has been resolved.

Last edited by BirdTRD; 09-02-2016 at 01:32 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BirdTRD For This Useful Post:
brianhj (09-02-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 01:19 PM   #1595
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:

(oh, and I have an AT, if that matters )
That actually matters a lot. If I remember correctly, I think autos dyno about 10-15% less.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
BirdTRD (09-02-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 01:41 AM   #1596
Rifle
EX-86 Supercharged God

Drives: '16 Series.HyperBlue BRZ
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:

For comparison sake though, @Rifle was just done right before mine and he has a full catless exhaust, just got the flex fuel kit and was running E85 (not sure if it was exactly E85 since he still had some 93 octane left in his tank) and has the intercooled Sprintex 210 kit with a 69mm pulley. His made 263HP/213TQ (uncorrected) I think. So his E85 and full exhaust got him 33HP over mine, same tuner, same day, same Dyno. (oh, and I have an AT, if that matters )

I was told a "corrected" dyno would be about 10% more, so 253HP for me and around 290HP for him, but I may be wrong.

Maybe @moto-mike could give a better explanation than me. As for the run file, I would share it if I had it, but I do not. I suspect Mike has it.

I do have a log file that I took on my way home that night if that's what you want to see?
263/213 on E70. 95F intake temps as well.

The weather played a huge factor in our numbers, I believe. Humidity was awful too.

@brianhj, the only comparison I have between the two is the fact that I daily drive my 210 with the 69mm pulley and I've ridden in @BirdTRD's edlebrock pre-dyno. I can say, the Edlebrock feels more fluid, yes. But I still feel like the Sprintex has a more aggressive pull behind it. Plus, you can't get over that whine. :p

I've had it on two cars about a year and 20k miles thus far. Finally went E85 and it's a whole new beast!