follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 01-23-2015, 11:19 AM   #85
xoxomichaela

Drives: 2013 Limited Brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanGuy View Post
Cool! That's a lot like what I want to do, except mine more panda-ey. A pinstripe or two, and so on... What's goint on around the right front of the shifter bezel?
Thank you! Uhhh wow, I have no idea why it looks all distorted in the picture! I didn't even notice until you pointed it out! I used Pano on my iPhone, maybe that has something to do with it?
xoxomichaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:15 PM   #86
MikeM7

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Had those ugly silver panels swapped out within a week and a half. Going to do the handles and knee pads next. Also ordered weather tech floor mats.

I could really use a link to good red led's for the courtesy door lights, dome light, and floors. I have been searching but the links I find are dead.

Has anyone tried these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scion-FRS-Su...p2054897.l4275
Attached Images

Last edited by MikeM7; 01-26-2015 at 10:34 PM.
MikeM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:41 AM   #87
rlpaul

Drives: point A to point C. Screw point B!
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM7 View Post
Had those ugly silver panels swapped out within a week and a half. Going to do the handles and knee pads next. Also ordered weather tech floor mats.

I could really use a link to good red led's for the courtesy door lights, dome light, and floors. I have been searching but the links I find are dead.

Has anyone tried these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scion-FRS-Su...p2054897.l4275
All my red interior LEDs came from @Diode Dynamics and the quality is pretty good... although I need to remount my dome light, but that was more user error.

Here's the page that shows what they carry: http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/l...ubaru/brz.html

Not sure if they do the footwell lighting or not, as I don't have it.

Word of advice if you go with them: Get the stage 3 dome light. Red LEDs aren't super illuminating, so you'll appreciate it more. I originally went with stage 2, and switched to stage 3 later.
rlpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rlpaul For This Useful Post:
Diode Dynamics (01-27-2015), MikeM7 (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 07:12 PM   #88
MikeM7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpaul View Post
All my red interior LEDs came from @Diode Dynamics and the quality is pretty good... although I need to remount my dome light, but that was more user error.

Here's the page that shows what they carry: http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/l...ubaru/brz.html

Not sure if they do the footwell lighting or not, as I don't have it.

Word of advice if you go with them: Get the stage 3 dome light. Red LEDs aren't super illuminating, so you'll appreciate it more. I originally went with stage 2, and switched to stage 3 later.
From the pics, it looks like someone just used the dome lights for the footwells. Looks pretty good. I'll probably order stage 2 red for the doors, vanity, and footwells, and stage 3 for dome. I'm hesitant on the vanity lights though.. I wonder if it's going to piss off my wife if she wants to use the mirrors and just gets a face full of red

Pic of red floorwell lights
http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/l...dome-light-led

Do you have any pics of yours?
Old 01-27-2015, 11:40 PM   #89
rlpaul

Quote:
From the pics, it looks like someone just used the dome lights for the footwells. Looks pretty good. I'll probably order stage 2 red for the doors, vanity, and footwells, and stage 3 for dome. I'm hesitant on the vanity lights though.. I wonder if it's going to piss off my wife if she wants to use the mirrors and just gets a face full of red

Pic of red floorwell lights
http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/l...dome-light-led

Do you have any pics of yours?
Never got around to taking any. Keep saying I will, but its low on the priority list.

I went with white lights for vanity. Just not something I use that much, plus red didn't make sense to me there. Can't remember if I have stage 1 or 2 there, but its a tad too bright... think I went 2.

Its a nice deep red on the dome and courtesy lights, can't complain.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:37 PM   #90
MikeM7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpaul View Post
Never got around to taking any. Keep saying I will, but its low on the priority list.

I went with white lights for vanity. Just not something I use that much, plus red didn't make sense to me there. Can't remember if I have stage 1 or 2 there, but its a tad too bright... think I went 2.

Its a nice deep red on the dome and courtesy lights, can't complain.
Does choosing red over white diminish brightness at all? For example, if your stage 2 white for vanity is too bright, do you think stage 2 red would also be too bright?

I realize its kind of silly to get red considering the purpose is to see yourself in the mirror, but i want to maintain the black and red theme wherever possible. Even if it's just for the sake of cool pics.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:37 PM   #91
rlpaul

Quote:
Does choosing red over white diminish brightness at all? For example, if your stage 2 white for vanity is too bright, do you think stage 2 red would also be too bright?

I realize its kind of silly to get red considering the purpose is to see yourself in the mirror, but i want to maintain the black and red theme wherever possible. Even if it's just for the sake of cool pics.
I'm going to get a little technical here... Red light is filtered through the rods in our eyes, which is how night vision works too. Night vision is black and white, so when you use red light, you're only seeing one color: red, or the lack of it, black. That's the great thing about red (other than it looks cool), it doesn't compromise night vision.

So, basically, your perception under red light is very... contrasty. That's OK for the car interior, but looks funny in the mirror. If that's acceptable to you, then go for it. And since your night vision is preserved, you don't need a lot of illumination to see.

The stage 2 red is still the same lumen output, and since it'd be shining right in your eyes, it'll be pretty bright. I'd stick with stage 1 for the red - you could still suffer from afterimages if you use the stage 2. Everywhere else, since its 'indirect' lighting, I'd go with stage 2 or 3.

Last edited by rlpaul; 01-28-2015 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Grrr, spelling!
The Following User Says Thank You to rlpaul For This Useful Post:
MikeM7 (01-29-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 03:47 AM   #92
Krovi

Drives: '14 Midnight Purple FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Follow me on Instagram @overlim.it
Krovi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krovi For This Useful Post:
Figo (03-31-2015), MemphisR (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 04:30 PM   #93
Cvxne

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Vinyl wrapped mine in red camouflage. Still have more spots to do.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 5844
Size:  244.5 KB
Old 02-04-2015, 12:40 PM   #94
gl2filmerguy

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
I'm gonna shoot some actual photos as soon as the snow melts haha. I just installed JPM Coachworks kneepads yesterday. ( even though you really can't see them here )
I have my Pioneer head unit installed with all of my wires ran finally too. Also, I have the Blox adapter for my shift knob so you can't see that dumb white piece. COME ON SPRING!

gl2filmerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:53 PM   #95
FRSTRM
Baby LFA

Drives: Baby LFA
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Coming soon.

FRSTRM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSTRM For This Useful Post:
LucidMomentum (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 01:37 PM   #96
DavidBob

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted View Post
Just finished up with getting all the silver trim replaced with the black versions.

-Alex
Hey man how did you take off those chrome door lever/handles to make them black? I wanted to do the same but don't wanna half ass it by not taking it off to do it.
DavidBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #97
rlpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBob View Post
Hey man how did you take off those chrome door lever/handles to make them black? I wanted to do the same but don't wanna half ass it by not taking it off to do it.
There's a cheap part you can buy that's black. Search for the "Black Buttons 2.0" thread. You have to take the door cards off to do it.

Edit - Here's the thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71798

Last edited by rlpaul; 02-05-2015 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Added link to thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to rlpaul For This Useful Post:
DavidBob (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 04:07 PM   #98
KI_ZN6

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Talking

Electric Blue Interior LEDs:

Super White Interior LEDs:

KI_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote