follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #29
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frishkorn View Post
I think everyone here would agree that at no point should a car like this be driven in the winter (even if you drive well, why damage the under carriage with all that salt).

As someone who also lives up North, I made absolutely sure that I could afford the payments on two vehicles. Looking to buy a 1993 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 for about $5k. That'll put payment at around $137 a month for 3 years. I spend more then that on coffee each month.

Making payments on something you don't drive every single day isn't a waste. You'll have less miles on it and it'll last longer. I'm looking forward to the day she's paid off and I have a car with less then 40k miles with no car payment. Not to mention it'll be nice to have it in the garage all winter for dis-assembly to add those sweet, sweet parts for the summer auto-crosses.
I agree, however I bought my car to have fun and actually sold my winter beater. I think my FRS is going to be a lot of fun in the snow with my snow tires.
Timmy_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:46 AM   #30
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Bad financial planning is bad.
Lol, the assumption that there was any planning is a fallacy.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #31
Frishkorn
Hi everybody!

Drives: 14 Whiteout FRS 6M. 16 Abyss iA 6A.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones View Post
I agree, however I bought my car to have fun and actually sold my winter beater. I think my FRS is going to be a lot of fun in the snow with my snow tires.
Timmy let me know how it goes. I wouldn't mind taking it out somewhere where there wasn't salt on the road for a bit of fun. But what they use here in Pennsylvania is the most corrosive stuff I've ever seen. Used to live in Washington State too so used to winters and I've never seen rust like the cars here in PA.
Frishkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frishkorn For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (08-11-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #32
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Quote:
Timmy let me know how it goes. I wouldn't mind taking it out somewhere where there wasn't salt on the road for a bit of fun. But what they use here in Pennsylvania is the most corrosive stuff I've ever seen. Used to live in Washington State too so used to winters and I've never seen rust like the cars here in PA.
My commute is 5 miles and the highways around me a re 'reduced salt use areas' because of wetlands and marsh area...the car is going to rust, but it shouldn't be too bad.
Timmy_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #33
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by topazsparrow View Post
How is that bad financial planning?
Let's see if you already know the answer to that question...

Turns out you do!
Quote:
Buying any car new is bad financial planning.

But buying a new car you're not willing to the drive in the winter without already owning a winter-ready car or having the means to buy one and own both seems... well like bad financial planning. Don't feel bad or get too defensive, we've all done plenty of bad financial planning (or none sometimes). For F's sake, down here it's the American Way!
Old 08-08-2014, 04:38 PM   #34
FRS Dad

Drives: 2015 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Let's see if you already know the answer to that question...

Turns out you do!

But buying a new car you're not willing to the drive in the winter without already owning a winter-ready car or having the means to buy one and own both seems... well like bad financial planning. Don't feel bad or get too defensive, we've all done plenty of bad financial planning (or none sometimes). For F's sake, down here it's the American Way!
Didn't the OP state that a job opportunity came open unexpectedly that entailed a great deal more winter driving than he could possibly have anticipated when he bought the car?

That ain't bad planning. That's just life.
FRS Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRS Dad For This Useful Post:
Annahra (08-09-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 12:24 AM   #35
Annahra

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I think everyone here would agree that at no point should a car like this be driven in the winter (even if you drive well, why damage the under carriage with all that salt).
Nope. It's not a delicate flower--it's a budget sports car that I bought to enjoy. I throw winter tires on mine and keep driving it, and we had a really horrible winter here last year. Why would I spend four months a year driving a crappy car that I don't enjoy? If this car rusts out, I'll replace it.
Annahra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #36
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I drove mine all winter with no problems...and didn't even need snow tires!
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #37
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Ain't that the truth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMBAM_6 View Post
Im glad I live in this beautiful place, You should move and keep the FRS
All the shit we have to deal with in soCal and then I see threads like this and think, man you just can't beat our year round weather....

JAden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaden For This Useful Post:
CAMBAM_6 (08-10-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #38
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
I was more than a little surprised to hear that my 2013 FR-S with a 6spd is valued at around 16 - 18k CAD for trade in.

I still owe 18k on it...

The Dealers all said that they're having a hard time moving the cars and they don't want it sitting on the lot over the winter.

I don't really know what to do now because I need something that's safer on the mountain highways during the winter. Not to mention I can't bring myself to pulverize the poor girl with sand/gravel.
Just keep her! Unless you can afford to take that kind of hit, I wouldn't bother. Just get a beater for winter use.

This is another reason why I will never buy a new car ever again. You take too much of a hit on depreciation. Example, if I were to sell, I'm losing $12000 for only 1 year of ownership. Blahhhh! Might as well keep her now since I've only got 4 years of payments left.

But to be honest, I am happy I got the Scion brand new. The feeling of a brand new sports car and you being the first and true owner truly is worth it. Buying a used sports car second hand with its unknown history of how it was treated can be sketchy. The FRS was priced right to buy new. I can absolutely take the depreciation losses in return for knowing the scion will always and only be mine.

I wouldn't trade it in.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #39
xxBrun0xx

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
Just keep her! Unless you can afford to take that kind of hit, I wouldn't bother. Just get a beater for winter use.

This is another reason why I will never buy a new car ever again. You take too much of a hit on depreciation. Example, if I were to sell, I'm losing $12000 for only 1 year of ownership. Blahhhh! Might as well keep her now since I've only got 4 years of payments left.

But to be honest, I am happy I got the Scion brand new. The feeling of a brand new sports car and you being the first and true owner truly is worth it. Buying a used sports car second hand with its unknown history of how it was treated can be sketchy. The FRS was priced right to buy new. I can absolutely take the depreciation losses in return for knowing the scion will always and only be mine.

I wouldn't trade it in.
$12k of depreciation in a year? Holy smokes, you must have paid a fortune for your FRS!
Old 08-09-2014, 08:54 PM   #40
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBrun0xx View Post
$12k of depreciation in a year? Holy smokes, you must have paid a fortune for your FRS!
Canadian's get bent and vasilined hard. They list for $26,xxx plus tax and all the governmental rape fees. Out the door, $32,000!

Just got back from a used dealership. When I was there I was curious and asked what is the going rate for my FRS... *drum roll* .... a whopping $17-18,000 trade-in. Bend me over some more!!!

I would be losing close to half of what I paid for the car only after 13 months of ownership. Remember, those monies you pay to tax, you don't get shit back! $14,000 in losses and the worst part, no FRS. Talk about getting kicked in the nuts and pie-faced immediately after. Best to keep it. Plus, I never really had plans for the car other than to drive it till the wheels fall off. Besides, this car is nice enough to be a keeper.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #41
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS Dad View Post
Didn't the OP state that a job opportunity came open unexpectedly that entailed a great deal more winter driving than he could possibly have anticipated when he bought the car?

That ain't bad planning. That's just life.
Winter is always coming.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #42
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Slightly off topic but: Its so annoying! They use the brine before or during the start of the storm then dump salt/some other ice melter all over the roads and it makes a mess of the roads and cars
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote