follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2015, 02:19 PM   #57
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutter View Post
hes a cop, Dom!
i lold
Old 05-13-2015, 02:27 PM   #58
8R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjetek View Post
So for those who have gotten tickets, how fixed up do your cars look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i might not have some crazy widebody kit or wing, but i think my car used to attract a lot of attention from cops. i've since removed all stickers in the rear window except a small black KROPS one in the corner since it's pretty subtle. so far ok (knock on wood). i dont drive like a crazy kid though so i think that helps too but apparently local pd doesnt care as long as they think you "look like a street racer"
Old 05-13-2015, 02:57 PM   #59
SleePi

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I got pulled over a few years back when I was driving an automatic tC lowered with wheels and an exhaust. I was headed to first day of class. Saw a cop on a motorcycle off in a driveway watching traffic. Came to a red light, he comes out right behind me. Once the light turns green he turns on his lights. First thing he asks is for me to pop my hood. Had an CAI. Then he started calling me a street racer and why I had these modifications on my car if I wasn't a street racer. I had all my text book and stuff with my backpack in the front passenger seat. First time getting pulled over ever.

TLDR: I got pulled over a labeled a street racer my first time I was pulled over.
SleePi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:58 PM   #60
enjetek

Drives: 93.5 supra t & prius
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8R6 View Post
i might not have some crazy widebody kit or wing, but i think my car used to attract a lot of attention from cops. i've since removed all stickers in the rear window except a small black KROPS one in the corner since it's pretty subtle. so far ok (knock on wood). i dont drive like a crazy kid though so i think that helps too but apparently local pd doesnt care as long as they think you "look like a street racer"
saw your build thread and i could see why cops might like to look at you. the stickers, the colored part of the headlight, burnt tip exhaust etc. it is good to know that youve since removed the stickers and you are getting bothered less.
enjetek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:13 PM   #61
HUNTERANGEL121

Drives: Red Toaster(Dodge Nitro)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear89103 View Post
Look, those who are modifying their cars with non-carb products are all guilty of breaking the law. Is this breaking of the law significant? Not in my opinion, no. Should police be really focusing their efforts on things like murder? Yes. But at the heart of the matter, regardless of all that, it doesn't absolve us of our crimes. Just because someone is guilty of a more serious crime doesn't make us innocent.
To be fair, LA has some of the worst smog over the city. At least in Miami, the smog gets blown over by our lovely winds.
bear89103 (05-14-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 03:39 PM   #62
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTERANGEL121 View Post
To be fair, LA has some of the worst smog over the city. At least in Miami, the smog gets blown over by our lovely winds.
although our smog/pollution is bad here, I have a hard time giving a crap about "tuners" when I see a diesel 18 wheeler pull away from a light(not launch, just drive normal) and it spews more black garbage out of its exhaust in 3 seconds then 10 of our cars will produce in 10 years...

And with the pollution coming out of china, our "smog control" is like us using teaspoons with holes drilled in the middle to bail out water from the titanic.

It comes down to money, unfortunately-although I doubt tickets from modified vehicles could really create that much revenue-but stopping evil "street racers" looks good for the public/politicians/police or whatever I suppose.
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 03:53 PM   #63
Phantobe

Drives: 14 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Its only breaking the law if you get caught.

Seems like the cops in LA are a buncha ****s, glad I live in the OC.

2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
2000 Integra LS - SOLD
Phantobe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phantobe For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 04:19 PM   #64
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,943 Times in 11,378 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutter and others saying "its about the money" View Post
It comes down to money...
I still fail to understand this argument, at least against the police officer on the street. (and not picking on you @Shutter you were just the last post on this I saw to quote)

Police have the responsibility for enforcing the law, they do not make them and do not necessarily agree with the laws they are asked to enforce. However, if it wasn't "against the law" then they wouldn't be bothering you with it.

Given that, any issue with the laws should be taken to the governing bodies that create the rules as that's where the complaints belong.

Yes, like any profession, there are Police that may use that to their advantage or have a particular penchant for being jackasses. Despite the press coverage though, there are way more "honest cops" then the bad eggs that catch everyone's attention and ire.

As far as the money, would you rather the penalty for you breaking the law be jail time, which is about the only other option? Remember, we are talking for the most part here about folks that are breaking a law, even if only for "tuning" reasons. If you don't like the laws, you need to work to change them rather than disobey them, and then bitch because you got caught.

Yes, in the process of enforcing the law it is possible that truly innocent people will get stopped and ticketed. That's when you get to have your day in court. Checks and balances, and you have to decide if you are willing to write the checks to help get the balance.

OK, I'm done now. Asbestos flight suit is on so let the flaming begin....

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
bear89103 (05-14-2015), continuecrushing (05-13-2015), CSG Mike (05-13-2015), tyrantcf (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 04:27 PM   #65
Phantobe

Drives: 14 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I still fail to understand this argument, at least against the police officer on the street. (and not picking on you @Shutter you were just the last post on this I saw to quote)

Police have the responsibility for enforcing the law, they do not make them and do not necessarily agree with the laws they are asked to enforce. However, if it wasn't "against the law" then they wouldn't be bothering you with it.

Given that, any issue with the laws should be taken to the governing bodies that create the rules as that's where the complaints belong.

Yes, like any profession, there are Police that may use that to their advantage or have a particular penchant for being jackasses. Despite the press coverage though, there are way more "honest cops" then the bad eggs that catch everyone's attention and ire.

As far as the money, would you rather the penalty for you breaking the law be jail time, which is about the only other option? Remember, we are talking for the most part here about folks that are breaking a law, even if only for "tuning" reasons. If you don't like the laws, you need to work to change them rather than disobey them, and then bitch because you got caught.

Yes, in the process of enforcing the law it is possible that truly innocent people will get stopped and ticketed. That's when you get to have your day in court. Checks and balances, and you have to decide if you are willing to write the checks to help get the balance.

OK, I'm done now. Asbestos flight suit is on so let the flaming begin....
I think most of us understand the risks of running a modded/illegal car.

The problem is cops profiling other cars & making unlawful stops. You didn't do anything wrong, but your car looks fast so I'm going to pull you over? I guess its no surprise since cops racially profile all the time.

Some may disagree, but just because my car is modded shouldn't give them the right to waste my time when I'm just going about my business.

2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
2000 Integra LS - SOLD
Phantobe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantobe For This Useful Post:
Cal3000 (05-14-2015), SirBrass (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 04:42 PM   #66
8R6

as much as i hate asshole cops, i dont hate all cops as i know there are more good than bad ones out there. i have a few friends in the LAPD and even they agree there are some dipshits on the force - just like almost every workplace. but what irritates me more than bad cops are the piece of shit "street racers" of today that do stupid shit anywhere and everywhere. these fucks are the one giving all car enthusiasts a bad rep since most people (including cops) have a hard time distinguishing us from those morons. the general public see a piece of shit janky ricer and to them it looks not much different than our cars. fuck those street racers.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:02 PM   #67
V_86

Drives: 2015 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yep, just last night saw an idiot modded Genesis do a burnout at a stoplight for zero reason. No one was racing him, and he just blew tire smoke at everyone behind him.
V_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:04 PM   #68
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantobe View Post
Its only breaking the law if you get caught.

Seems like the cops in LA are a buncha ****s, glad I live in the OC.
Funny, the worst offender up until about 2010 for cracking down on modded cars was the lovely city of Irvine and nearby communities.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:36 PM   #69
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,178 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Funny, the worst offender up until about 2010 for cracking down on modded cars was the lovely city of Irvine and nearby communities.

-alex
Still is!
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:50 PM   #70
aznflightfreak23

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited Manual
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
And now you know why CARB is so important for us California folks.

Fortunately for you, getting that fixed is gonna cost you this:

- Swapping your stock header on, (and EVERYTHIGN else on yuor car that is not legal)
- Schedule an appt for the state ref, and pay your $8.75
- Pay $25 at court when the ticket is dismissed.

***DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT drive your car until you get reffed. If *that car* gets pulled over again, you will automatically get the car impounded, along with a massive (well into 4 figures) fine. ***
Do you know what they do exactly at the State Ref? Do they lift my car and test smog? The officer that pulled me over was a car guy. He was impressed with my build, pointing out my Cusco Parts and Raceseng Camber/Caster plates. Would I have to swap out my entire exhaust system or could I just swap the headers?
aznflightfreak23 is offline   Reply With Quote