follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
diss7
Banned

Drives: AE86, 2x GT86, TE27
Thanked 1,179 Times in 522 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exhaust to go with twin screw supercharger

Seeing as we're about to find out proper numbers for the twin screw s/c kit, it would be worth discussing the exhaust options that best compliment the system.

I've ignored the exhaust section of the forum to be honest, but I stumbled in there last night and was litterally shocked at the improvements Nameless are seeing with their new headers and full exhaust.

I didn't trawl through all 60 pages of that particular thread, but damn talk about removing the torque dip!

That setup with the twin screw is going to be such a great DD setup.

Surely others have stumbled/been thinking about this combination. (Nameless headers + twin screw S/C)

I'm sure theres other great header options as well, I haven't looked past Nameless yet, hah.

For me, I'd like to run the twin screw s/c (pending test driving the bullet demo) replace the stock headers, overpipe, and front pipe; and keep the stock mid pipe and rear muffler. I haven't found any info about real gain from changing the mid pipe and muffler, for what I want to acheive anyway. Keeping these two pieces will make for a nice quiet and stealthy setup.
diss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
From what I've seen there is one company that posted gains similar to Nameless, but they needed E85 to get them. At this point I think Nameless will be the best way to go.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I think so far P&L have had the best results from headers. The nameless plot looks nice but there are several caveats. It's not a production piece, it's been in beta forever much like some FI kits. There is still a torque dip, the P&L piece has no dip at all. The nameless dyno plots include their beta intake as well which has also been in beta forever. Who knows what impact that's having when comparing dyno plots. The P&L plot starts where the nameless dip has moved to.

I'm curious to see how any of the superchargers take to the better exhaust setups we have. I'm sure there is plenty of power to be had. The lack of comparative data on exhausts sucks right now. All the nameless stuff is in beta. The P&L numbers come off one car that was remote tuned under duress. JDL hasn't posted a dyno of what his setup does with a tune. Borla dynos are MIA. AP dynos are a joke. Perrin isn't making headers.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
nonicname
Banned

Drives: it has 4 wheels and a motor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
it'll probably be another 6 months of that needy visconti posting
idiot useless teasers before you see some real numbers.
nonicname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
If you look at the P&L plot, they are starting the pull at 3,250 rpm.. i have to ask why that is.....

If you look at nameless on the 1.625 4-2-1 header results.. the bottom of the dip is at 3,250 rpm...

so, unless P&L wants to post a plot with a run starting lower than 3,000 rpm like nameless did I'm going to assume they have the same torque dip.

Not knocking P&L just pointing out the obvious here. Their gains look good. Nameless looks better. Nameless is still in beta because they are still testing a few changes to get the best power they can....

It won't be long before they are ready to start production. Personally I'm waitting for nameless. P&L is a good option too and at a lower price point most likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by industrial View Post
I think so far P&L have had the best results from headers. The nameless plot looks nice but there are several caveats. It's not a production piece, it's been in beta forever much like some FI kits. There is still a torque dip, the P&L piece has no dip at all. The nameless dyno plots include their beta intake as well which has also been in beta forever. Who knows what impact that's having when comparing dyno plots. The P&L plot starts where the nameless dip has moved to.

I'm curious to see how any of the superchargers take to the better exhaust setups we have. I'm sure there is plenty of power to be had. The lack of comparative data on exhausts sucks right now. All the nameless stuff is in beta. The P&L numbers come off one car that was remote tuned under duress. JDL hasn't posted a dyno of what his setup does with a tune. Borla dynos are MIA. AP dynos are a joke. Perrin isn't making headers.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
If you look at the P&L plot, they are starting the pull at 3,250 rpm.. i have to ask why that is.....

If you look at nameless on the 1.625 4-2-1 header results.. the bottom of the dip is at 3,250 rpm...

so, unless P&L wants to post a plot with a run starting lower than 3,000 rpm like nameless did I'm going to assume they have the same torque dip.

Not knocking P&L just pointing out the obvious here. Their gains look good. Nameless looks better. Nameless is still in beta because they are still testing a few changes to get the best power they can....

It won't be long before they are ready to start production. Personally I'm waitting for nameless. P&L is a good option too and at a lower price point most likely.
Yeah, I agree that it's kinda frustrating trying to compare data when testing is far from standardized. I mean, the P&L guys didn't even try to optimize their tune for their NA parts on pump gas. They were doing a remote tuning session.

You would think that someone that did that much hard r&d on parts would just pay someone who gets results to fully optimize a tune for them and post those results to the board. Not a freaking e85 tune which only 5% of the people will run either. Some vendors don't even bother to post any reasonable dyno results with a tune.

I'm ok with it. I'm just lightening my car and playing with my unichip and dynolycious. I'm sure as these parts (P&L) make it out into the wild we'll see some more usable data.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
The best I could find:

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L Motorsports View Post
I'm a Nameless fanboi, but let's keep the record straight.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #8
Chewie4299
Spaceman

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
seful.
Chewie4299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
RWD-boxer

Drives: Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonicname View Post
So true^

Thenittis.com
RWD-boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #10
mad_sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
The best I could find:

I'm a Nameless fanboi, but let's keep the record straight.
blue is stock, the pulls with the header start after 3k. I'm not slinging mudd, just saying if they start the pull near the bottom of the dip you won't see the dip. Not saying it's there just that if it is, starting a run that late will mask it.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #11
mad_sb

after all the plots i have seen, and my own time on the dyno, I think I'm going to talk to nameless and see if they can tune a header to be slightly more biased towards 4,750 and up....

The stock torque dip is partially tuning, but mostly the stock header and both the P&L and the Nameless 1.625 do a fantastic job of turning the dip into a mountain....

But most of the plots i have seen on tuned stock etc or with exhaust.. there is still that week sag area from 4750 to about 6500. My Ideal header would lift the torque curve everywhere, flatten the dip so it is non existant , and make a boat load of power from the far side of what used to be the dip up to 8k or so.

I would prefer
Old 03-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
Acree

Drives: 13 CSB BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Truth...

-Acree
Old 03-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #13
Acree

Drives: 13 CSB BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Truth...

-Acree
Old 03-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by industrial View Post

The torque dip is tuning and will be removable once they figure out what is causing it to not be there on the first dyno but be there every dyno afterwards.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=1215

nameless did not included an intake
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=1049

P&L are showing exhaust & E85, against pump gas. Nameless used 92 octane for all testing.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote