follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #15
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronghanson View Post
lol how hard are you driving it then if it isnt in storage 3-4 months a year it wont be enjoyable in a few years?
It'll be in storage from about early Nov. to late April, closer to 4-5 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Is Japanese rust proofing really this bad?
No, Nova Scotia rust is REALLY that bad. My 02 neon beater needed a new k frame, two new rocker panels, a hole in one door repaired and a patch on a wheel well repaied, just to pass inspection. This car was never treated for rust so it could have been better but that's the nature of where I live, houses are cheap, cars are disposable.

Last edited by Calum; 10-30-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #16
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Was planning on using up half a bottle of Mother's Detailing Spray with a few microfibre cloths while it's in the garage. Gotta be careful, driving a clean car in the rain resulted in some spattering and that's potentially abrasive.

Salt air must really kill a vehicle in the winter. Didnt know homes were cheap in Halifax, unless you are with Ricky and Bubbles in Sunnydale trailer park. I guess it depends on location. Sydney is cheap.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #17
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Was planning on using up half a bottle of Mother's Detailing Spray with a few microfibre cloths while it's in the garage. Gotta be careful, driving a clean car in the rain resulted in some spattering and that's potentially abrasive.

Salt air must really kill a vehicle in the winter. Didnt know homes were cheap in Halifax, unless you are with Ricky and Bubbles in Sunnydale trailer park. I guess it depends on location. Sydney is cheap.
It's all relative, compared to Vancouver or Toronto, yeah they're cheaper. I paid under $200K for 2400 sqft and 1.2 acres, brand new. That was 7 years ago so prices have gone up some.

It's not only the salt in the air, it's the tremendous amount of salt they put on the roads to melt the ice. Because we're so close to the atlantic our winter temps are normally just below freezing. Right where black ice forms and salt works great and cars die a horrible ugly death.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #18
Calum
That Guy

On one hand the level of ignorance from a lot of people just baffles me. Not anyone in particular, I've answered these questions about a dozen times now on here. On the other hand I suppose there's no reason why people would know what winters are like in my area. But I'm well aware of what the winters are like in other parts of NA.

Am I just cranky and tired, or is it reasonable to think the reason some would store a car for the winter is obvious? (Honest question)
Old 10-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #19
einzlr

Drives: several
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
On one hand the level of ignorance from a lot of people just baffles me. Not anyone in particular, I've answered these questions about a dozen times now on here. On the other hand I suppose there's no reason why people would know what winters are like in my area. But I'm well aware of what the winters are like in other parts of NA.

Am I just cranky and tired, or is it reasonable to think the reason some would store a car for the winter is obvious? (Honest question)
It's a little of both (honest answer). If you look on other car forums with a higher average age, you'll find people consider the topic of winter storage of cars to be perfectly ordinary. As for peoples' general knowledge (or lack of it) of one region vs another, it has a lot to do with how often a region comes up in the news or other discussion. The particulars of the weather in Nova Scotia (and the Maritimes in general) don't come up unless there's a record-breaking storm or something. What is and isn't common knowledge is something you'll learn more about as you go through life

"Simplicate and add lightness." - Gordon Hooton
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to einzlr For This Useful Post:
Calum (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #20
einzlr

Drives: several
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Waterless car wash is, as the name indicates, designed to be used when no water is available and when the wash itself is the only liquid. As such, it is engineered to surround and lift dirt particles so they don't scratch the paint, and it works best if you use the corresponding cloths. That said, the instant detailer is probably good as well in the case of a clean car that got rained on.

"Simplicate and add lightness." - Gordon Hooton
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:49 AM   #21
Im_SPEED

Drives: FRS hot lava
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Remember to not put tire shine on it will make the tires dry crack.
Im_SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote