follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-01-2017, 10:12 PM   #1
Karl07

Drives: 2012 86 GTS - Storm Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
OFT question

Hi guys,

Now I apologize if this is a stupid question/topic etc.
I have tried searching and get thousands of topics that have nothing to do with what I need.
I have also read the FAQ and Tips and Tricks thread.

I have a 2012 Toyota GTS and am looking at getting a OFT for multiple reasons but primarily to unlock whatever power I can and also to stop my car coming up with CEL for have a catless header.

I have never done anything to do with tuning, etc so I like the sounds of something so relatively simple.

That being said, I am still a bit confused.

- where do I get tunes? Or do I make them myself? If so, how likely am I to completely screw it up?

- if I get them from somewhere, are they normally generic? Or part specific? As in a have JDL header and Amuse exhaust...is there a tune that is specific for this?

-are there any step by step tutorials on how to tune with these outside of pre-made?

- how in depth can this go? As in, is it literally there to adjust certain settings like Flat foot Shifting, 'track mode', etc...? Or can you adjust everything on how the car actually runs and fix up any shortfalls such as the torque dip? Though the exhaust helped a lot already.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Karl
Karl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:35 PM   #2
Subie_Nubie

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limted
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Someone else will eventually link the end all be all link about OFT to you, so I'll spare you.

In a nutshell, vague replies,

- where do I get tunes? Or do I make them myself? If so, how likely am I to completely screw it up?

You will be downloading a set of off the shelf (aka generic) tunes from Open Flash Performance's website

- if I get them from somewhere, are they normally generic? Or part specific? As in a have JDL header and Amuse exhaust...is there a tune that is specific for this?

Stage 1 is mostly for stock setups, various octanes. Shiv has designed a majority of his Stage 2 tunes to work primarily with his Open Flash Header, although some headers are similar to this one. No off the shelf (OTS) tune will be perfect because every car, bolt on setup, etc is slightly different. There are options for more custom route should you want that.

-are there any step by step tutorials on how to tune with these outside of pre-made?

There's a huge thread that pretty much show's you everything you need to know about tweaking things yourself. Search this software tuning section.

- how in depth can this go? As in, is it literally there to adjust certain settings like Flat foot Shifting, 'track mode', etc...? Or can you adjust everything on how the car actually runs and fix up any shortfalls such as the torque dip? Though the exhaust helped a lot already.

Again, there are many features with the OFT. You can utilize this device as much as you please as long as you're willing to read and learn, and it's capabilities are very extensive. The OTS tunes are great. Take it further by learning and chatting with the forum.
2013 SWP BRZ Limited // 6 MT // Grimmspeed Intake // Tomei Supreme UEL Header // OFT Stage 2, 93 Oct, UEL Tune // Enkei RPF1's // Borla Catback and Diffuser // Bilstein Shocks // Eibach Anti-Roll Kit // TRD Strut Bar
Subie_Nubie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Subie_Nubie For This Useful Post:
Karl07 (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 10:42 PM   #3
Karl07

Garage
You're a legend. Very helpful.
I must admit I couldn't find the tutorials when I searched but I've never had much luck with searching haha.
I'll keep looking!
Old 02-01-2017, 10:47 PM   #4
D_Thissen

Drives: '13 Argento FR-S (Sold)
Thanked 1,439 Times in 855 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl07 View Post
You're a legend. Very helpful.
I must admit I couldn't find the tutorials when I searched but I've never had much luck with searching haha.
I'll keep looking!
Here ya go.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81493
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71157
Old 02-02-2017, 12:02 AM   #5
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
The OFT may come pre-loaded with the right maps or you may have to download them on a PC then upload them to the OFT before flashing your car depending on which stock tune you have.

If you are feeling up to tinkering with the relevant maps there is some modified AVCS table to suit the JDL UEL catless header in the below thread. Ignore the thread title and read through it.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/newre...reply&t=115119
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
Karl07 (02-03-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 07:13 AM   #6
Karl07

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
The OFT may come pre-loaded with the right maps or you may have to download them on a PC then upload them to the OFT before flashing your car depending on which stock tune you have.

If you are feeling up to tinkering with the relevant maps there is some modified AVCS table to suit the JDL UEL catless header in the below thread. Ignore the thread title and read through it.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/newre...reply&t=115119
YeahI will definitely have to try and learn all of this stuff. Never done tuning before so it's a lot to take in.

I have now read my stock rom, downloaded the maps and APPARENTLY flashed the stage 2 UEL 93 OTS map.

However the P0420 CEL has now come back on which is annoying. Also not sure if it really feels any different from before the tune.
Considering the power increase I would have expected something a bit more drastic haha
Old 02-13-2017, 06:24 PM   #7
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl07 View Post
YeahI will definitely have to try and learn all of this stuff. Never done tuning before so it's a lot to take in.

I have now read my stock rom, downloaded the maps and APPARENTLY flashed the stage 2 UEL 93 OTS map.

However the P0420 CEL has now come back on which is annoying. Also not sure if it really feels any different from before the tune.
Considering the power increase I would have expected something a bit more drastic haha

australian\european I series maps missed having P0420 code disabled, you will need to edit it.

or just send me you map and ill sort it for you.

you only get 1 petrol map on I series roms its the 91 mapping

their a few pretty coloured links below, read those and you will be on your way :-)
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:49 AM   #8
saikat.saha

Drives: Toyota Gt86 2012 orange
Hello there,

I am from Bangladesh , my GT86 bought from Japan with Greddy T518z Turbo Kit and tuned the ECU by Greddy.

Now i am facing problem with greddy tuned because our country does not have 95 grade fuel .

Need to re-tune the ECU, But Greddy authorized dealer is not available. Our local tuner can not tune as the ECU is locked by Greddy. Also tried with the OFT.

My inquiry is does anyone now how to flush the ECU and get back to the stock MAP and also imobilize it.

Please if any know how to do that or where to do that let me know.

Thanks
Saikat Saha
saikat.saha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:19 AM   #9
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saikat.saha View Post
Hello there,

I am from Bangladesh , my GT86 bought from Japan with Greddy T518z Turbo Kit and tuned the ECU by Greddy.

Now i am facing problem with greddy tuned because our country does not have 95 grade fuel .

Need to re-tune the ECU, But Greddy authorized dealer is not available. Our local tuner can not tune as the ECU is locked by Greddy. Also tried with the OFT.

My inquiry is does anyone now how to flush the ECU and get back to the stock MAP and also imobilize it.

Please if any know how to do that or where to do that let me know.

Thanks
Saikat Saha
Hi,

Gready tune is probably flashed with Ecutek so you will need ecutek tuner to unlock it.

by flashing stock map with ecutek

it might also be tuned with Brzedit whick also locks ecu

same deal will need to flash back with brzedit

alternativly you could just get another ecu , most ecutek or brzedit maps\tunes are also locked so all you can do is flash but not edit, unless original tuner will give you unlocked map.

see here for more infomation on tune systems

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106068

replacing ecu proceedure
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102810
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote