follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #15
jdr

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Not sure what was wrong. Engine sent to Subaru for analysis.
1K miles
Cruising down the highway at constant speed, started making extremely loud metal-on-metal grinding noise.
Warrantly claim accepted < 1 day. New long block installed.
Stock
No service yet, 3 weeks old.

ECU error codes P0303 and P0011.
jdr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jdr For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-02-2015), hmong337 (05-27-2014), zohare (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #16
zohare

Drives: '13 Firestorm Base AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post
Not sure what was wrong. Engine sent to Subaru for analysis.
1K miles
Cruising down the highway at constant speed, started making extremely loud metal-on-metal grinding noise.
Warrantly claim accepted < 1 day. New long block installed.
Stock
No service yet, 3 weeks old.

ECU error codes P0303 and P0011.
Perfect! Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for! Hope more people come around to this. Sorry you're going through it though. At least they didn't give you any issues. I'm STILL waiting to hear back from Toyota.
zohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #17
zohare

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by civicdrivr View Post
For clarification - mine was boosted at the time of the catastrophic failure at 33k miles, but had been showing symptoms since new, including a trip to the dealer for a cylinder head replacement.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=28

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=32
:/ Darn.... Sorry to hear that. Yeah mine hasn't been right since about 9k miles, failed at 18k, installer was a moron, still wasn't right, they said it's fine, drive it. And I did, and failed again at 26k. I'm just tired of it. This is ridiculous. I thought I bought a reliable car, that was my intention. Miata fun, a little more practical, (Since I already have one miata, and more room etc,) just as reliable. Not even close... Should've bought a corolla or a used NC.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #18
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zohare View Post
:/ Darn.... Sorry to hear that. Yeah mine hasn't been right since about 9k miles, failed at 18k, installer was a moron, still wasn't right, they said it's fine, drive it. And I did, and failed again at 26k. I'm just tired of it. This is ridiculous. I thought I bought a reliable car, that was my intention. Miata fun, a little more practical, (Since I already have one miata, and more room etc,) just as reliable. Not even close... Should've bought a corolla or a used NC.
There are days where I wish I spent the money on an S2000 instead, but I still like the car. I'm a glutton for punishment I guess.
hmong337 (05-27-2014), zohare (05-24-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #19
86viper

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
While it sucks some people are going through this, the vast majority of FA20 engines are holding up well.

There seems to be a common theme.
Either

1) they are boosted and either A) the tune is bad or B) something physical was done incorrectly in the install

2) The ones popping N/A have had niggling problems from brand new untill eventually they pop.

I'm yet to hear of a perfect running motor just suddenly pop out of nowhere at say 20k miles.

Good luck to those getting warranties
86viper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86viper For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-02-2015), zohare (07-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 08:55 PM   #20
RavnFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs
16k miles
Completely stock
Last oil change at 7500
Drove it pretty hard but have lots of experience with driving fast cars, viper, cts-v so im not a dumbass
Was is cruise control in 5th gear going 55, engine sort of stalled out then engine went. Smoke dumped out of hood and exhaust. Threw it in neutral and coasted to a stop.
Blew a rod and sent my cylinder through the head. got full warranty because last snal taken was at a high gear and low rpm.
Toyota tech came in and looked and it and saod the cat was driven extremely hard blah blah blah and there was supposably tons of metal in the engine.
Waitin on complete new engine rebuilt and the techs told me i has the first engine failure in the U.S. Lol
Gonna be scared to drive it hard after the replacement but as you all know it isnt any fun below 4k rpm.

Last edited by RavnFRS; 05-20-2014 at 09:39 PM.
RavnFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RavnFRS For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-02-2015), zohare (05-24-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #21
RavnFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs
Sorry for spelling errors am on the highway typing
RavnFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:24 AM   #22
civicdrivr

I dont know what's funnier. This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavnFRS View Post
Toyota tech came in and looked and it and saod the cat was driven extremely hard blah blah blah and there was supposably tons of metal in the engine.
Or this:

Quote:
Waitin on complete new engine rebuilt and the techs told me i has the first engine failure in the U.S. Lol
Gotta love dealerships.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:03 PM   #23
Mr 286

Drives: 2014 Camry SE V6 | 1991 MR2 Turbo
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
So my new short block is in the car and they're planning to have it ready by Tuesday.

What failed: The dealership never really did much diagnosis beyond finding some metal in the oil pan. They just went ahead and ordered a new block after that.

Mileage: 38,000

How it failed: Seemed like a spun bearing to me based on the symptoms

Circumstances when it went out- slow and gradual or just boom: I didn't let it get to the point of seizing or going boom, but the rattle came without warning.

Results of warranty claim: Covered under warranty

modifications to the car, use of the car: TRD exhaust, daily driver, no competition

Last oil change: A week before failure. Before that, 5,000 miles prior (my dealership will not change it on a 5,000 mile interval with my maintenance plan. They say Toyota has these cars listed as 7,500 between changes. I have been paying for additional oil changes between their interval).

List of services performed: Re-torque axle nut, Tail lamp assembly replaced (both), new pilot bushing, ignition coil #1 replaced, new fuse block and engine harness

One accident a year ago. Kid backed into my car at a stoplight. 7,100.00 in parts. 3,300.00 in labor.
DAEMANO (09-02-2015), zohare (05-24-2014)
Old 05-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #24
zohare

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86viper View Post
While it sucks some people are going through this, the vast majority of FA20 engines are holding up well.

There seems to be a common theme.
Either

1) they are boosted and either A) the tune is bad or B) something physical was done incorrectly in the install

Mine wasn't, and while I can't speak for the install, It was running "seemingly" fine after the new motor and a million and one trips. I have no doubt something in the heads/cams wasn't right still, but no CEL or timing errors, and I don't think it was anything that would've caused a spun bearing.

2) The ones popping N/A have had niggling problems from brand new untill eventually they pop.

Mine ran great new... then just one day didn't feel right, but no noise, they blamed it on altitude, I said it felt like it was pulling time, nothing.

I'm yet to hear of a perfect running motor just suddenly pop out of nowhere at say 20k miles.

It is odd. It's sorta true though, these things are either lemons (the motors,) or they're good for crazy HP. Any how.
Good luck to those getting warranties
Thanks! I did get my warranty, new block is on its way, and they decided to listen to me, and have a "master technician" (engineer?) come and look into the heads, since I mentioned I thought there was a recurring issue there, that potentially contributed?

Quote:
16k miles
Completely stock
Last oil change at 7500
Drove it pretty hard but have lots of experience with driving fast cars, viper, cts-v so im not a dumbass
Was is cruise control in 5th gear going 55, engine sort of stalled out then engine went. Smoke dumped out of hood and exhaust. Threw it in neutral and coasted to a stop.
Blew a rod and sent my cylinder through the head. got full warranty because last snal taken was at a high gear and low rpm.
Gonna be scared to drive it hard after the replacement but as you all know it isnt any fun below 4k rpm.
HAHAHAHAH! First engine failure... yeah. Ok. That's what they told me here. By the way, Bill Penney Toyota of Huntsville- on point. Night and day difference with them and Rivergate in Nashville. I think had I been to them the first time, I wouldn't have been fighting like I was. By the way, that sounds exactly like my first failure.... Mileage is even similar. They blamed mine though on a long interval for the oil change, which with the diagnosis of this motor, is clearly NOT the issue. Oh well. We'll see after this one what they say, I may go back and try for my grand back. Also had similar recordings in the ECU blackbox whatever. Was cruising for almost an hour probably never higher than like 3500 to pass, AT so taller gears too, no CEL until it stalled. -.- Good to know the knock sensors work well. LMAO

Oh oh oh . So the funny part was when they almost accused me of over revving then saw it was an AT. He was kinda just, "uh...well. Ok I'll call Toyota and get back to you."
Old 05-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #25
zohare

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr 286 View Post
So my new short block is in the car and they're planning to have it ready by Tuesday.

What failed: The dealership never really did much diagnosis beyond finding some metal in the oil pan. They just went ahead and ordered a new block after that.

Mileage: 38,000

How it failed: Seemed like a spun bearing to me based on the symptoms

Circumstances when it went out- slow and gradual or just boom: I didn't let it get to the point of seizing or going boom, but the rattle came without warning.

Results of warranty claim: Covered under warranty

modifications to the car, use of the car: TRD exhaust, daily driver, no competition

Last oil change: A week before failure. Before that, 5,000 miles prior (my dealership will not change it on a 5,000 mile interval with my maintenance plan. They say Toyota has these cars listed as 7,500 between changes. I have been paying for additional oil changes between their interval).

List of services performed: Re-torque axle nut, Tail lamp assembly replaced (both), new pilot bushing, ignition coil #1 replaced, new fuse block and engine harness

One accident a year ago. Kid backed into my car at a stoplight. 7,100.00 in parts. 3,300.00 in labor.
Yupp.... same story. Makes me scared to think what will happen with long term wear outside of warranty. I encourage everyone who's had a long block replacement to call Scion and try to get them to cover it on an extended warranty. Even if it's just the parts that were replaced, I feel that's very important. You're at 38k already, and a lot higher than me, but say it fails at 76k next time? Now what? warranty only goes to 60. Just stinks is all. Motors shouldn't be failing this early.

Curious about the coil and harness issue? Was it related to something else? you have a thread on it? As opposed to a head problem, a bad coil or not 100% coil rather would make more sense for the rough running that my car was doing before. Goofy idle, sounded.... excessively "burbly" in the midrange. I know that's a character of the car, but this is compared to the first motor. I hope #3 is perfect. Because if it isn't, seriously- I'm calling a lemmon law attorney. I just can't take it anymore. The car has been down for MONTHS in for service. It's ridiculous. Not to mention the diminished value long term having to explain paperwork of THREE motors to a potential buyer, even covered under warranty, they're going to think it was abused.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:02 PM   #26
civicdrivr

Quote:
Oh oh oh . So the funny part was when they almost accused me of over revving then saw it was an AT. He was kinda just, "uh...well. Ok I'll call Toyota and get back to you."
They accused me of over revving it as well. They even said they saw 8,500rpm in the black box. I told them that I wanted to see that data, which they (unsurprisingly) couldn't produce.

Once they lost that battle, they then turned to my suspension modifications and assumed it was raced. Fun times.

PS- If I come across as bitter about this, you're damn right I am.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Kevinn (04-16-2015), strat61caster (05-25-2014), zohare (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 12:51 AM   #27
zohare

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by civicdrivr View Post
They accused me of over revving it as well. They even said they saw 8,500rpm in the black box. I told them that I wanted to see that data, which they (unsurprisingly) couldn't produce.

Once they lost that battle, they then turned to my suspension modifications and assumed it was raced. Fun times.

PS- If I come across as bitter about this, you're damn right I am.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Right? So tired of this bullcrap. They want to start pointing fingers, point them at Subaru for piss poor QA or whatever it is that is causing failure. At my first one, they brought up that, I "must" drive hard if I'm worn through a 2nd set of tires. ( Heheheh it was actually my third... LOL) But that's totally irrelevant. They couldn't pull crap from the blackbox. I'd like to see what they CAN actually pull, just because I have no doubt some service depts make crap up. I'm with you on the "bitter" part. Seriously? I'm sick of this garbage. It's really hard to enjoy the car anymore, everytime I drive it I'm worried something is going to break and I'll be without a car for another week or two while the dealer gets the warranty/rental approved. It's just insane. I should've bought a fricken miata.... Just didn't want to be the weird guy who keeps accumulating them. But they're soooo fun!
The Following User Says Thank You to zohare For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 09:10 PM   #28
Mr 286

Drives: 2014 Camry SE V6 | 1991 MR2 Turbo
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Yupp.... same story. Makes me scared to think what will happen with long term wear outside of warranty. I encourage everyone who's had a long block replacement to call Scion and try to get them to cover it on an extended warranty. Even if it's just the parts that were replaced, I feel that's very important. You're at 38k already, and a lot higher than me, but say it fails at 76k next time? Now what? warranty only goes to 60. Just stinks is all. Motors shouldn't be failing this early.

Curious about the coil and harness issue? Was it related to something else? you have a thread on it? As opposed to a head problem, a bad coil or not 100% coil rather would make more sense for the rough running that my car was doing before. Goofy idle, sounded.... excessively "burbly" in the midrange. I know that's a character of the car, but this is compared to the first motor. I hope #3 is perfect. Because if it isn't, seriously- I'm calling a lemmon law attorney. I just can't take it anymore. The car has been down for MONTHS in for service. It's ridiculous. Not to mention the diminished value long term having to explain paperwork of THREE motors to a potential buyer, even covered under warranty, they're going to think it was abused.

The coil was some unrelated problem. The fuse block and harness was part of the accident. Fuse box got hit so it needed replacement along with the attached harness.

My warranty is 7 yrs, 100,000 miles. I grabbed the extension when I bought the car since I didn't plan to mod it much.

Honestly, I'm still on the fence about selling it and buying an E92 M3. I mean, if it's going to be in the shop as often as a 400+HP BMW, then I may as well be driving one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
civicdrivr (05-28-2014), zohare (06-28-2014)

Tags
bearing, blown, failure, motor, rod