follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-25-2011, 06:16 AM   #1
EJ20

Drives: NA8C, GDB, and R50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Would you rather buy knock off parts for your car?

Hey guys...

Well, few minutes ago I was thinking about the big tuning companies and there futuer! I think most of you guys know that HKS is having truble staying in bussnes in the US, and other parts in the world. So same for Greddy, Blitz, C-one, APS and other smaller comapnies. Big thanks to those who buy knock off products

I mean Megan, OBX, and the others they don't engineer, design or test their products and just copy If the real tuning compaines are out of buissnes I'm sure those "cheap" sellers will not stand out to support us with some fancy aftermarket parts that is gone under hard effort!

I'd rather drive a car with real parts than one having knock off parts, even if it will cost me more money, but I'm sure these guys deserive every $ for thier hard effort ,engineering and support

I know its too early for this topic, but I feel bad for these companies
Old 08-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
Type[R]+

Drives: Lexus IS-F
Like anything I buy - buy once, buy quality. Its always cheaper and less hassles in the long run.
Type[R]+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
Random_Art
professional smartass

Drives: 16 speed mountain bike...
I had my brief stint with cheap knock off exhaust components. Major fitment issues.

Goodbye Celica, you served me well.

http://artsofrandomness.blogspot.com/
Random_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Sometimes it can be hard to accept that even these big and supposedly trustworthy companies run into quality and performance issues. When that happens they are pretty much begging the market to take alternative measures in modification.

One quick example are Borla's headers for N/A 2.5l Subaru's, large numbers of their earlier products had terrible weld quality. Soon after Borla replicas made it on to the scene, but without welds that broke. Now, even though Borla claimed to have fixed the issue; people didnt want to bother with the brand that caused a hassle for brand name buying consumers, thus people had been steered in the replica direction.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
oneday
Opinionated

Drives: Something Red
One of the benefits of this being a Subaru boxer motor is that it's not going to be drastically different from the EJ20/EJ25 motors that were/are already in the USDM WRX, STI, or LGT, so engineering and development for aftermarket parts should be relatively simple...it's not like the motor is a completely new, scratch built powerplant that none of the big shops haven't seen before. I'm sure AEM, Injen, Perrin, Invidia, Agency Power and other big players will have parts available very shortly after the car is on the market...

I am...well, was... an HKS as well as an APS dealer...I might get HKS again, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that happening any time too soon. And no, I don't deal in the knock-off brands.

Looking forward to the rash of "How much can I do to my BRZ FR-S without voiding my warranty?" phone calls.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
On the Rise

Drives: Toyota
There are ways to protect intellectual rights. So long as congress does nothing, China and others will continue violate intellectual property rights.
1660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1660 View Post
There are ways to protect intellectual rights. So long as congress does nothing, China and others will continue violate intellectual property rights.
thats because congress is dodging china. the chinese are looking for their money
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #8
fatoni

its best to do significant research on the individual product and not the company as a whole. even huge companies are guilty of outsourcing work. for example, megan and greddy/trust coilovers are made by the same people in the same factory with the same qc.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:09 PM   #9
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
its best to do significant research on the individual product and not the company as a whole. even huge companies are guilty of outsourcing work. for example, megan and greddy/trust coilovers are made by the same people in the same factory with the same qc.
+1

Outsourced might not affect the quality that much but I agree, do your homework on the part before making the purchase. Price usually dictates quality regardless on where it's manufactured.

I remember back in the days if it was a Japanese part, it was made in Japan; therefore it was high quality. Now due to demand and cost, outsourcing seems like the norm.

Case in point, a lot of the high end road bicycles like Pinarello, Trek, Specialized are manufactured in China
Old 08-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #10
oneday
Opinionated

Quote:
megan and greddy/trust coilovers are made by the same people in the same factory with the same qc.
But that is also because neither of those companies actually make their own suspension parts. Companies that specialize in suspension like Tein, Ohlins, Moton, H&R and Eibach manufacture their own product. You won;t see them selling turbo timers, headers, head gaskets, seats, or timing belts either.

If you think brands like HKS, Greddy, Megan, and Raceland that sell products in so many categories actually have a private factory and design/produce their all of their own products, you are kidding yourself. They can't possibly design and manufacture all of them (in some cases [Megan/Raceland] they don't design anything--they just private label everything.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #11
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneday View Post
But that is also because neither of those companies actually make their own suspension parts. Companies that specialize in suspension like Tein, Ohlins, Moton, H&R and Eibach manufacture their own product. You won;t see them selling turbo timers, headers, head gaskets, seats, or timing belts either.

If you think brands like HKS, Greddy, Megan, and Raceland that sell products in so many categories actually have a private factory and design/produce their all of their own products, you are kidding yourself. They can't possibly design and manufacture all of them (in some cases [Megan/Raceland] they don't design anything--they just private label everything.
i understand that. it was just an example. i could have used another, say jic. they dont build their own coilovers and as far as i know its all they do. i just used greddy and megan because in the original post it was discussed as to how greddy is a legitimate company and megan is not despite the fact that their coilovers are outsourced to the same company
Old 08-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #12
oneday
Opinionated

Quote:
i understand that. it was just an example. i could have used another, say jic. they dont build their own coilovers and as far as i know its all they do. i just used greddy and megan because in the original post it was discussed as to how greddy is a legitimate company and megan is not despite the fact that their coilovers are outsourced to the same company
I get what you are saying...and JIC makes exhausts too (really, really expensive titanium units)...they are a boutique brand like ARC was..
Old 08-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #13
Neutral_Eyes
Softparker

Drives: 2002 Mazda Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type[R]+ View Post
Like anything I buy - buy once, buy quality. Its always cheaper and less hassles in the long run.
+1. I don't plan on modifying the FT-86 much, if I do decide to buy it, but the parts I do swap out will be quality.
Neutral_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #14
Type[R]+

Drives: Lexus IS-F
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral_Eyes View Post
+1. I don't plan on modifying the FT-86 much, if I do decide to buy it, but the parts I do swap out will be quality.
Yep! Like wheels. Would you want cheap heavy knock off Volks that break easily, or the real thing. Proper forged, light weight, strong wheels?

The real thing is not only going to last, but will also potentially be an increase in performance, depending on the size you get.
Type[R]+ is offline   Reply With Quote