follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-12-2017, 07:25 PM   #15
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
low end torque on a na car is 100% about back pressure. This is the exact opposite of what you want for high end performance. Down at 2000 rpm or so the car makes very little actual torque, so every little bit helps. The second you increase pipe diameter of any part of the exhaust the low end torque will suffer.

As was said though, just rev it a little higher and it will be fine.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:09 AM   #16
Leland

Drives: BRZ JDL uel headers oft Perrin 2.5
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
low end torque on a na car is 100% about back pressure. This is the exact opposite of what you want for high end performance. Down at 2000 rpm or so the car makes very little actual torque, so every little bit helps. The second you increase pipe diameter of any part of the exhaust the low end torque will suffer.

As was said though, just rev it a little higher and it will be fine.
As the flanges were not originally level and therefore not sealing properly, a leak could really compromise back pressure. I leveled them but found that I needed to re-level the flange on the muffler section. I think I ran out of patience as it is a really tedious job. I'm curious to reinstall the Perrin and see how it compares with the stock unit. This whole thing started in response to the sound from the Perrin not being consistent and that the V band clamps needed periodic re tightening. That is when I found out that the flanges were not level. The one on the muffler most of all.
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leland For This Useful Post:
why? (09-13-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 11:27 AM   #17
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland View Post
As the flanges were not originally level and therefore not sealing properly, a leak could really compromise back pressure. I leveled them but found that I needed to re-level the flange on the muffler section. I think I ran out of patience as it is a really tedious job. I'm curious to reinstall the Perrin and see how it compares with the stock unit. This whole thing started in response to the sound from the Perrin not being consistent and that the V band clamps needed periodic re tightening. That is when I found out that the flanges were not level. The one on the muffler most of all.
So i just installed my Perrin this weekend. I made sure to try and drive it exactly how i was driving the car with the stock exhaust on.

I'm almost 100% positive that what you (and i) was experiencing was all in our heads. The Perrin has a slight more airy tone to it. You can hear a little bit more air being pushed out when you step on the throttle. Overall though other than that the car seems to drive exactly the same.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:50 PM   #18
Leland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
So i just installed my Perrin this weekend. I made sure to try and drive it exactly how i was driving the car with the stock exhaust on.

I'm almost 100% positive that what you (and i) was experiencing was all in our heads. The Perrin has a slight more airy tone to it. You can hear a little bit more air being pushed out when you step on the throttle. Overall though other than that the car seems to drive exactly the same.
I did a before and after Perrin dyno over the last week and it definitely gained power. Around 6 hp and up to 8lb. ft. of torque reasonably evenly across the curve. I think part of what I was experiencing was that the Perrin flanges were not level, particularly at the exhaust section and so it was leaking no matter how carefully I installed it. Now that I resurfaced the flanges and it is not leaking,it is better on all fronts. The sound quality is quieter, consistent and does not drone on the interstate around 2.5-3k and the low end torque is improved.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2017, 10:20 PM   #19
dtrop

Drives: Wrb 2014 limited brZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just a comment about noise......

I have the same exact setup.

I drive with my backseats down 100% of the time. It's way more enjoyable to hear both the header and exhaust than with the seats up.

With the seats up, it's well, kind of quiet.
dtrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:55 PM   #20
Leland

[QUOTE=dtrop;2981468]Just a comment about noise......

I have the same exact setup.

I drive with my backseats down 100% of the time. It's way more enjoyable to hear both the header and exhaust than with the seats up.

With the seats up, it's well, kind of quiet.[/QUOT

I am generally okay with quiet but I will have to try with the seats down for curiosity sake.
The Following User Says Thank You to Leland For This Useful Post:
nullredvector (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 12:26 AM   #21
nullredvector

Drives: BRZ Limited PP '17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland View Post
I did a before and after Perrin dyno over the last week and it definitely gained power. Around 6 hp and up to 8lb. ft. of torque reasonably evenly across the curve. I think part of what I was experiencing was that the Perrin flanges were not level, particularly at the exhaust section and so it was leaking no matter how carefully I installed it. Now that I resurfaced the flanges and it is not leaking,it is better on all fronts. The sound quality is quieter, consistent and does not drone on the interstate around 2.5-3k and the low end torque is improved.
I am having the same issue with the 2.5-3k drone. Can you detail how you resurfaced the flanges? Was it just trial and error until the drone went away? I needed to use to double gaskets on the mid pipe to get a good connection and to stop it leaking.

How did you test for leaks, soapy water? Did you blimp the throttle?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
nullredvector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:55 AM   #22
aKaGorganZola

Drives: 2017 BRZ Series. Yellow
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
+1 for the seat down gang. ��
aKaGorganZola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:51 PM   #23
RickBH

Drives: 2020 Brz Sport-Tech Auto
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have the 2.5 resonated Perrin and have found a fairly loud resonance around 2700 rpm. It is mostly noticeable under acceleration but is always there. The better Subaru hangers that have been discussed on another post helped somewhat but did not eliminate it.
I wanted to hear the exhaust but did not want the annoying drone. I have the auto so it is more difficult to adjust the running rpm but the sound from the exhaust when cruising on the highway is fine.
I have installed a couple of small lined muffler sections inside the muffler outlets and have added a little sound barrier layer to the trunk. It now sounds the way i like.
After reading this post I will check the connections to see if there are any leaks that would contribute to the noise.
RickBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:36 PM   #24
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Also check out the thread for the exhaust hangers that come with the STI axle back exhaust that really help drone

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote