follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DI and engine power loss over time

Interesting article on Daily Tech today looking at the potential for power loss over time in DI engines due to carbon buildup on intake valves:

http://www.dailytech.com/Direct+Inje...ticle21962.htm

The article provides dyno readouts for an Audi RS4 when it was relatively new and then before and after engine cleaning that show a dramatic power loss which was then reversed by the clean. A good discussion follows.

It's claimed in the discussion that the use by Toyota of port injection at low power and idle alongside DI in its current DI engines allows the cleaning agents in the fuel to wash the valves regularly so this may not be an issue for the FR-S.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
colHolm
Default User Title

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
This is true. On the 4GR in the Lexus IS 250, there are issues with carbon build-up that over time can cause the check engine to light up. This engine has direct injection only. The 2GR in the IS 350, which uses Toyota's D4-S injection system has no such issues.
colHolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Hm... interesting article. Thanks! I learned something
Old 06-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
markitect

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I don't think we will have a problem with the combination port and direct injection.

My question is, why aren't the people claiming it is carbon build up using a cleaner in the air intake?
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
bigbcraig

Drives: 2013 BRZ / 2015 WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
^ wut?

"why aren't the people claiming it is carbon build up using a cleaner in the air intake?"

Do you mean, "why aren't people (who think carbon is building up) using a cleaner in the air intake?"

I don't think it would have much affect. The stuff will get pretty caked onto the intake valves and a short burst of whatever you put in wont do much -- but it will confuse the shit out of the ECU and, if you don't spray it in enough downstream, can really mess with your MAF.

I know recently I saw a picture of a porsche (?) intake valve that looked quite nasty but can't find it. The buildup was attributed to DI.
As has been said before, the D4-S system that uses port and direct should amke this a complete nonissue, and make tuning much easier / power potential higher (pretty hard sometimes now because there aren't many replacement direct injectors).
bigbcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:09 AM   #6
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
think about this. arent all (most) of the cars you mentioned here turbocharged?
apart from the turbo feeding some oil in to the intake, what else could possibly cause carbon buildup?? there is nothing in air that is flammable
Old 06-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #7
Random_Art
professional smartass

Drives: 16 speed mountain bike...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
apart from the turbo feeding some oil in to the intake, what else could possibly cause carbon buildup?? there is nothing in air that is flammable
Oxygen is extremely flammable, yo. But is it oxygen causing the carbon buildup? no.

Goodbye Celica, you served me well.

http://artsofrandomness.blogspot.com/
Random_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #8
Snaps
Supra Owner

Drives: 1995 Toyota Supra UK Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
That's the same thing I thought when I heard about the problem...

As a guess - maybe the exhaust gases aren't fully evacuated out of the cylinder when the exhaust valve closes, then the intake valve opens and some of the exhaust gases escape into the valve port/valve area, and then cakes itself onto the valves over time.

That's just a guess though, I'm not sure how much (if any) exhaust gases would be left in the cylinder, let alone be able to escape against the fresh air coming back in when the intake valve opens...