follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 05-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #57
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Why a crossover? They're inferior to just about any sedan I can think of.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #58
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The 2 rear seats makes the Mustang the best daily driver. I've owned a 350z and the lack or cargo space and useless hatch makes it a very shitty car to drive around everyday.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #59
TLRracer

Drives: MR2 Spyder
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Your daily driver is what you, uh - drive daily!

I currently drive an MR2 Spyder as my daily/only and I have to carry around a ton of stuff for work too. Luckily it all fits into the passenger footwell and seat and I also have a rear cargo rack when I have to bring the 'stuff' and the kidlet. The only issue is if it rains AND I am cargo-ing and kidlet-ing, that makes it fun! Then it is the velocity school of rain management.....

It's what works for you. If you need more space, lots of cars have it. If you enjoy an open car or a two seater then you figure out ways to make it work. There is no one perfect choice for everyone. I'm not rich enough to have two different cars for different scenarios so I make my car work for 'most' scenarios.
TLRracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #60
schlomo

Drives: mazda3, 370z
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato88 View Post
What year Mazda3? I drive 2012 here. Do you happen to go to M3R?

I couldn't agree more. I wish I had waited until it came out. Right now the price gap between my depreciated Mazda3 and a new FR-S is too much...
It's actually a 2009 mazda3 before they redesigned the front. It has been an absolutely amazing car. Over 60k miles and it hasn't needed anything but regular maintenance and tires. It's very light and actually really fun to drive for an FF layout. I couldn't ask for a better daily driver.

I only get on M3R as a lurker to look at DIYs. But the Z has laid claim to my entire mod budget lately
schlomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #61
PoWn3d_0704

Drives: 1990 BNR32 GTR
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I feel like the lack of power in the FR-S and BRZ can be easily fixed with the vortech kit, an exhaust, and a tune. That comes out to a little under 7k. Which when added on top of the cost of the car is about 36k if you have a BRZ and less if you have the FR-S.

Plus you still get much better mileage and have a lot of cargo room in the FR-S (rear seats folded down)

Build Album:
PoWn3d's BRZ Pictures

Build Thread: PoWn3d's BRZ
PoWn3d_0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:08 AM   #62
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD8 View Post
Frs is most balanced. People complain about lack of power...how will u get to truly push a cars limits if you rely on power to win the race?

I haven't had too many issues with 370z mechanical wise.

I enjoy driving and racing my 2000 mustang. It still feels more nimble and less claustrophobic than the 370 and the newer mustangs.

That being said, I'm buying an frs soon. Driven a lot of them and my buddy's all have one... And the frs is much more of a technical car. The mustang was great for being a mustang : wild horse. I think I would enjoy some fine precision driving now.
You sound like a bad brochure. Are you sure you've driven the car???

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Why a crossover? They're inferior to just about any sedan I can think of.
Higher seating position, better visibility, higher ground clearance, easier ingress/egress, more volume storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoWn3d_0704 View Post
I feel like the lack of power in the FR-S and BRZ can be easily fixed with the vortech kit, an exhaust, and a tune. That comes out to a little under 7k. Which when added on top of the cost of the car is about 36k if you have a BRZ and less if you have the FR-S.

Plus you still get much better mileage and have a lot of cargo room in the FR-S (rear seats folded down)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoWn3d_0704 View Post

$30,880 (BRZ Limited OTD) + $5,808 (Vortech [tune included] after tax) + $919.11 (Perrin cat back after tax) + $1000??? installation labor = 300hp BRZ with leather and no warranty for right price of $38,607.

I would... sure as hell not be looking at BRZ's if I'm spending that kind of money on something without a warranty.

But this thread has been a great read. There are so many choices; new and used, for enthusiasts out there for $25k.
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:17 AM   #63
PoWn3d_0704

Drives: 1990 BNR32 GTR
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

$30,880 (BRZ Limited OTD) + $5,808 (Vortech [tune included] after tax) + $919.11 (Perrin cat back after tax) + $1000??? installation labor = 300hp BRZ with leather and no warranty for right price of $38,607.

I would... sure as hell not be looking at BRZ's if I'm spending that kind of money on something without a warranty.

But this thread has been a great read. There are so many choices; new and used, for enthusiasts out there for $25k.
Well, I would do all the installs myself, and warranties only worry me if something explodes. Plus, you can always head back to stock before... turning it in.

I am in Oregon, so I don't really pay tax. Just property tax. I got quoted $27,900 before fees I think from a dealer. So that is good.

It keeps costs down. 245 ish rwHP on a car that well balanced? Yes Please.

Build Album:
PoWn3d's BRZ Pictures

Build Thread: PoWn3d's BRZ
PoWn3d_0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #64
tomato88

Drives: Mazda 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlomo View Post
It's very light and actually really fun to drive for an FF layout. I couldn't ask for a better daily driver.
How do you think it compares to FR-S? When I test drove it I just rid along in a passenger seat because the dealer wouldn't let me drive it...
tomato88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #65
schlomo

Drives: mazda3, 370z
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato88 View Post
How do you think it compares to FR-S? When I test drove it I just rid along in a passenger seat because the dealer wouldn't let me drive it...
There's no comparison really. The FR-S is more fun. Of course fun factor is a bit subjective though. I prefer an FR layout for frisky driving. The Mazda excels in other areas such as utility and poor weather driving performance (only because of the front wheel drive)

Sorry for the off topic tangent!
schlomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #66
GTHachiRoku
Big in Japan

Drives: turBRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappys4life View Post
I drove 3 5.0s, I went to a ford dealer they offered me 19k in a trade in they called a toyota dealer too. I owe 24k more of a hit I wanted to make a switch. Trying to sell it private at the moment to break even. I thought I would like the sports car change more and not miss the power, my 2000 gt only had 260 but I miss a v8 something bad. I really like the 370z and I think its power was enough but I think you get a lot more car out of the mustang and cheaper.
With your loss you're half way to a SC/Turbo kit for the FRS

I too was looking at Mustang GTs and drove a few. I don't know, I just can't bring myself to own an american car, even though Ford has good quality now days.

Plus it seems like everyone here has a Mustang. I must see a dozen on my commute daily. I've only seen one FR-S and one BRZ so far.
GTHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GTHachiRoku For This Useful Post:
michaelosx (07-11-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #67
chappys4life

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I miss my mustang gt, it was a 2000 and I would take it back in a heatbeat.
chappys4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #68
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonolin View Post
Have you test drove the Mustang?

I did and my opinion is fr-s = better sports car, mustang = better engine

Anyway if you bought a frs/brz you probably won't lose much if you sell now. I just traded in my a/t for a m/t and was only down 2k - and that's at a dealer! If you sell privately you can probably pay off your loan and have a little left to go towards the mustang. If you really want the power, you should have went for the mustang in the first place so why be unhappy?

I love the fr-s too much to pass up myself. Although that new camaro z/28 sounds really nice lol...
I agree with what you said, the 5.0l Coyote is hard to beat
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #69
richardM

Drives: scion frs, 2012 Mustang
Mustang 3.7L V6 is more practical in some ways

I have a 2012 convertible V-6 Mustang and 2013 Scion FRS.

"Practical Daily Driver" is open to interpretation.
Mustang-
can seat 3 adults in a pinch.
HUGE trunk.
Much more comfortable on long trips or over potholes.
Regular gas.
Can be factory ordered with lots of performance options.
Good sports car/excellent grand touring car/it's silly fun to tear away from every stoplight. Maybe the last chance to get a "real" Mustang. We'll see soon.

FRS/BRZ
smaller and more nimble
better city fuel economy
It's the best sports car out there for the price

Do you EVER want to take 3 adults? The Mustang rear seats are not spacious, but it's not an outright joke asking an adult to sit in back.

The stock V-6 Mustang is bigger and heavier and feels "SOLID." The MT is excellent, and it takes the interstate or 70 mph to get me to use 6th gear. Not very often, either. On the highway, we routinely get 27 miles per gallon using regular gas. In the city.. oof- Less than 17 mpg .. it hurts. I suspect that's because it's just too much fun to not use the power at every stoplight.

Haters can hate, the handling is not like an FRS... it's only excellent. If you back-road drive with an FRS, you can hold on in the twisties and eat lunches on the straits. Part of that is you get excellent stock summer tires. It's a big car with 100 more HP and almost double the torque. If you have long highway miles to travel, big points to the Mustang. Also if you have 2-lane highway passing. It's fun to have both.. power vs. handling... right there. The Mustang is faster, the FRS is more fun.

Then everyone starts talking about changing tires and modifications. Well, both are fun platforms for mods.

It's a really tough choice- there are excellent cars in this price point.. Mustang, FRS/BRZ, Focus, Mazdas, GTI, Mini, Fiat... lots more. If you want to drive with me on a Saturday... that's really cool. Everyone can keep up, everyone has plusses and minuses... and that's just something fun to talk about at whatever little town we stop at for lunch!

Which car would I drive? Hehehe... I am a lucky man. Both are great.

r
richardM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #70
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Mustang as a DD...
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote