follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #99
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
"Torque-dip" threads are always fun to read. Learn how to drive around it, or fix it. Neither one of those are very hard to do, and one is even free.

Last edited by PetrolioBenzina; 07-17-2017 at 12:50 PM.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PetrolioBenzina For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-17-2017), mrg666 (07-17-2017), Sapphireho (07-17-2017), wireman957 (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 01:00 PM   #100
Detroiter

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
1. IIRC, the driver of the Hellcat wasn't even trying to get a fast lap time. There are plenty of modern muscle cars that will outperform an 86 on the track these days.
In the video they state that he was in fact trying to set the fastest lap time he could and that while he is no professional race driver he does drive very fast cars and review them for a living.

I believe it any day that the 86 and mx-5 would beat a hellcat charger on the track. There is just no way to make a 4,500lb monster with 707hp go around corners fast. Especially on the ridiculously narrow 275 tires they come with. It's not any surprise that it would spin the back out on every corner.
Detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #101
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
1. IIRC, the driver of the Hellcat wasn't even trying to get a fast lap time. There are plenty of modern muscle cars that will outperform an 86 on the track these days.

2. You talk about how the torque dip doesn't matter, yet you have a supercharger installed on your car. Obviously you felt the need to spend 5k to get more power.
Hellcat is so hard to handle especially on a slow (twisty) track. I agree that there are tracks that it can beat any 86 easily. You are right, even at that twisty track, a Mustang GT could be better. The point is not the power though, the result underlines where 86/BRZ shine. Missing all the good qualities of its design and complaining where the car is weak is not really smart. This is a sub $30K car after all. It is not possible to check all boxes. That is called a Porsche.

Torque dip really doesn't matter and you can see that in my preference in the SC kit. I didn't care about instant torque, otherwise I would have chosen a twin-screw kit. Especially to keep the rev-up-to-get-power character of this sports car, I went with a Rotrex kit. You cannot really tell the car is supercharged at 1500 rpm. I still need to down-shift to quickly reach the powerful rpm range. The car has essentially the same character as stock. Power curve has just a steeper ascent. Even with a supercharger, I am telling you guys that torque dip doesn't matter.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #102
paulca

Drives: Toyota GT86 Coupe Red (UK)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by etherdude View Post
My use of the gears:

1st - From a stop to 15 (nanny mode) or 35 (gonzo mode)
2nd - Accelerate up to 35 (nanny mode) or up to 55 (gonzo mode)
3rd - Constant speed at 25 mph (nanny mode) or stronger acceleration 35-50
4th - Constant speed at 30 mph (nanny mode) or stronger acceleration 45-70+
5th - Cruise at 35-40mph (nanny mode) or stronger acceleration 55 - 70+
6th - Highway cruise 40 and higher, decent acceleration above 70 mph.

Still too high for nanny mode.

1st to 5-8mph
2nd to 15mph
3rd to 25mph
4th to 30mph
5th to 35/40mph

If you turn on the gear shift indicator it suggests roughly these speed or lower.

Simple rule is: Run in the highest gear that will provide the torque you currently need without labouring (lugging) the engine.

As long as you don't need/want to floor it the GT86 has enough torque without lugging to pull gently from 1k rpm. If you want to bury it, aim for 2k+ though.

It can be a little bit hesitant and even stutter if you boot it at 2k, but it smooths out at 2.5k.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:06 PM   #103
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulca View Post
Still too high for nanny mode.

1st to 5-8mph
2nd to 15mph
3rd to 25mph
4th to 30mph
5th to 35/40mph
This is great if you want to maximize fuel economy, but this is not how the car was intended to be driven whatsoever.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:05 PM   #104
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
For anyone bothered by the torque dip, I'd highly recommend trying the FT86SF catted header + tune. I recently switched to that header and the powerband reminds me of older Honda NA engines I've owned. Once the tach hits 3200 RPM, it starts to pull in earnest (unlike the stock header/tune which dips at that point). The engine continues to feel stout up to the 7400 redline.

In daily driving if you decide you want a bit more speed, you can put your foot down and get torque at the point you're expecting it (keeping in mind it's a small NA 2.0L engine). If you've grown up driving naturally aspirated Hondas, it'll feel very familiar.

It's the same header that Todd from Everyday Driver put on his FR-S. I agree with him that if this was the factory setup, few people would complain about the power on the car. Not because it adds so much power up top, but rather it alters the midrange to match what most people were probably expecting from this engine. He talks about it in this video:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9G8zfoW6CI"]Best & Worst of Owning an 86 - Long Term #7 FRS (BRZ/86) - Everyday Driver - YouTube[/ame]

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
DaBoBo21 (07-18-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 04:11 PM   #105
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Daily driving on surface streets. Shift point is usually 5k. Surface streets where I live and do most of my driving usually move at 40-45 mph

1st to 25 mph
2nd to 40
3rd...skip it altogether.
4th settles in at 3000 and 45 mph. 3000 is usually where I cruise.
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:41 PM   #106
funwheeldrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
For anyone bothered by the torque dip, I'd highly recommend trying the FT86SF catted header + tune. I recently switched to that header and the powerband reminds me of older Honda NA engines I've owned. Once the tach hits 3200 RPM, it starts to pull in earnest (unlike the stock header/tune which dips at that point). The engine continues to feel stout up to the 7400 redline.

In daily driving if you decide you want a bit more speed, you can put your foot down and get torque at the point you're expecting it (keeping in mind it's a small NA 2.0L engine). If you've grown up driving naturally aspirated Hondas, it'll feel very familiar.

A header would be great, but it's not smog legal in California
Old 07-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #107
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
A header would be great, but it's not smog legal in California
Yeah completely understand it's not going to work for everyone. For those who need to worry about smog legality but want to fill in the torque dip, I think an E85 tune or a CARB-legal supercharger are the only viable solutions.

BTW I like that the FT86SF header is catted. No smells = happy wife = happy life.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:19 PM   #108
paulca

Drives: Toyota GT86 Coupe Red (UK)
Quote:
This is great if you want to maximize fuel economy, but this is not how the car was intended to be driven whatsoever.
That's probably true, but really how often do you drive the car the way it's meant to be, aka thrashed?

The gear speeds is roughly what would be expected of you on a driving test here. Reving the car above 4k or even 3k would get you a minor fault. Do it repeatedly and you would fail.

Having done my test years ago, I still drive conservatively about 80% of the time. When I get a nice stretch of open road I red line it in 1st or 2nd, sometimes right to the limiter, but usually on the third beep with the beep set at 7k.

A post above where the poster claims to shift at 5k seemingly everywhere would probably get pulled over eventually here for driving aggressively. rev'ing, especially while accelerating hard turns people heads and they are quite often not turning to think how cool you are, but because they are scared and need to see where the noise is coming from and if they are about to get run over.

We all do it, but please keep it in it's place on the open road away from other road users, away from pedestrians, keep it safe and try and keep it at least semi-legal.

None of us want our insurance going up and up because little Jonny thinks it's cool to red line the car in every gear through every little town with kids out playing.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:30 PM   #109
funwheeldrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulca View Post
That's probably true, but really how often do you drive the car the way it's meant to be, aka thrashed?

Every single day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
DaBoBo21 (07-18-2017), PetrolioBenzina (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 08:19 PM   #110
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHOME View Post
Daily driving on surface streets. Shift point is usually 5k. Surface streets where I live and do most of my driving usually move at 40-45 mph

1st to 25 mph
2nd to 40
3rd...skip it altogether.
4th settles in at 3000 and 45 mph. 3000 is usually where I cruise.
Cruise, meaning not accelerating, whats the point of cruising at 3000? My car comfortably cruises in 6th gear at about 45mph (just around 2K RPM). If i want to accelerate I can easily downshift a gear (or 3) or just lightly accelerate and be patient.

In fact I wish 6th were a bit taller so the RPMs would come down a smidge at 75mph. The car provides amazing efficiency as it is though, so there's that.
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Decep For This Useful Post:
why? (07-18-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 09:06 PM   #111
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltsFRS2013 View Post
Hate to be the party pooper, but if you want to be an asshole on the internet and get technical we can.

An expanded inlet hose with the deletion of the sound tube combined with a performance air filter makes the cars throttle much more touchier than rocking all OEM.

Also, for someone who's never heard a sound clip of my car, that's quite a bias comment to make. What you may consider shitty, I may like.

Lastly. I also did indicate pretty much that my car is near stock, and that not much is done to it and also indicated that my car is still in the torque dip stage which is obvious but maybe your old age got to you and you were a lil to thick to understand that, my bad.
Don't get technical on me grasshopper. I'm sorry I used the word I did. Should have used factual words like different or louder, shitty is a opinion. I'm sorry. I guess I get testy when we break heatwave records here in SJ. However, I do stand by the rest of my statement. The best intake with the best catback with stock tune will change nothing. Same stuff with complete custom tune will maybe get 5-7hp. The torque dip will change slightly as you get the rasp of the cam timing tuned to move probably faster than it was designed to, but hell, we want to go fast...still a dip, or as I call, not yet in the power band of this motor.

Ask me how I know. Been there.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:09 PM   #112
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

Oh, you-ens ....... I suggest you both take a pill......

@VoltsFRS2013 I figure ol @Sapphireho was ....jest ah messen wich ya.

Sapphireho, if VoltsFRS2013 is happy with his car ...... that would be good .... right .. ?? Didn't your dad ever tell you that putting that chrome acorn air cleaner on your car, didn't make it go no faster .....?? And that that cherry bomb muffler(s) sounded too damn loud .... ??

DANG, VoltsFRS2013, I suggest you not get all twisted out of shape every time an old man pokes at you ...... it's bad for your health ......

humfrz - climbs off his stump .....
Thanks

I actually remember cherry bombs, the muffler and the explosive.

Last edited by Sapphireho; 07-17-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-17-2017)