follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 02-14-2017, 05:57 PM   #1
Chronology

Drives: 13' Satin White Pearl BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
AVH-4200NEX + Apps

Gents / Ladies,

I am starting to do more and more track days, and wanted to see if it was possible to side load an android app to the 4200. I don't mind rooting it if possible and honestly have not had the time to do much research sorry!

I was trying to load RaceChrono or Torque, but on the 4200 screen, currently I have to have my Nexus7 mounted and a ton of exposed wires.

TIA

Chrono
RS*R Sport-I w/custom spring rate / Cusco Front/Rear Sways, Cusco Diff Brace / Cusco Power Brace (Rear/Front/Upper/Lower) / JDL UEL Headers / INVIDIA Q300 Ti / Valenti Revo Tails and rear backup/ EcuTek / Moto-East Flexfuel / Moto-East E85 tune
Chronology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:15 PM   #2
Crazypinoy9

Drives: FR-S TRD RS1#1488
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Maybe try this?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...51.arunchained

XDA Link for more resources
https://forum.xda-developers.com/gen...ained-t2955966
Crazypinoy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:46 PM   #3
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronology View Post
Gents / Ladies,

I am starting to do more and more track days, and wanted to see if it was possible to side load an android app to the 4200. I don't mind rooting it if possible and honestly have not had the time to do much research sorry!

I was trying to load RaceChrono or Torque, but on the 4200 screen, currently I have to have my Nexus7 mounted and a ton of exposed wires.

TIA

Chrono

I have looked into this a little. They run on 4.2.2. that said the current progress with these is that enough is known to do things like clone the OS to a new sd card, and change the boot to boot from os files instead of preloaded ready state (slows boot actually a lot) however no one that I know of has puts a root binary or gotten usb adb yet. I think the next milestone is adb.

the avic411 and xda forums have a section on these machines with some of this info, and some interest groups if you are interested in developing. if you are interested in final solutions, there is much distance to be covered yet.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:11 PM   #4
Chronology

Drives: 13' Satin White Pearl BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
I have looked into this a little. They run on 4.2.2. that said the current progress with these is that enough is known to do things like clone the OS to a new sd card, and change the boot to boot from os files instead of preloaded ready state (slows boot actually a lot) however no one that I know of has puts a root binary or gotten usb adb yet. I think the next milestone is adb.

the avic411 and xda forums have a section on these machines with some of this info, and some interest groups if you are interested in developing. if you are interested in final solutions, there is much distance to be covered yet.
I was checking out XDA last night, a simple fix would be to use Mirrorlink and have it mirror my android.

The other option I saw was inline of what your saying, guess its time to break some sh!t, I did see that ADB via USB is available by using dev mode and adding the av.apk, http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/...er-debug-menu/
RS*R Sport-I w/custom spring rate / Cusco Front/Rear Sways, Cusco Diff Brace / Cusco Power Brace (Rear/Front/Upper/Lower) / JDL UEL Headers / INVIDIA Q300 Ti / Valenti Revo Tails and rear backup/ EcuTek / Moto-East Flexfuel / Moto-East E85 tune
Chronology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:16 PM   #5
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I have this same head unit installed. Let me know how it goes!
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #6
jasonojordan

Doing a little reading into it sounds like Dash command (see the link) is supported by the head unit(see 2nd link) Dash command is like torque. I have very little hands on use with either app however.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hCommand&hl=en

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...e+for+AppRadio
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
Chimera (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 02:43 PM   #7
Chimera

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
Doing a little reading into it sounds like Dash command (see the link) is supported by the head unit(see 2nd link) Dash command is like torque. I have very little hands on use with either app however.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hCommand&hl=en

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...e+for+AppRadio
I actually have never used the app radio mode. I have thought about it. looks cool. I have been using android auto.. which is more limited, but is still nice.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:49 PM   #8
jasonojordan

Quote:
I actually have never used the app radio mode. I have thought about it. looks cool. I have been using android auto.. which is more limited, but is still nice.
Does torque work through android auto? I just got this head unit and I only drive the vehicle in the spring/summer/fall so I have a couple months here still before my car will see the road and I can really get to use the head unit outside of playing with it in the garage.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:33 PM   #9
Chimera

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
Does torque work through android auto? I just got this head unit and I only drive the vehicle in the spring/summer/fall so I have a couple months here still before my car will see the road and I can really get to use the head unit outside of playing with it in the garage.
it does not.
Google has plans to use OBD2 data in android auto, and has even suggested a torque like analog, but android auto development has been slow, partly due to OEMs giving them trouble about sharing data. Stuff about google stealing their secret sauce.. like google couldn't afford a porche to tear apart if they wanted to secret sauce.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:34 PM   #10
jasonojordan

Quote:
it does not.
Google has plans to use OBD2 data in android auto, and has even suggested a torque like analog, but android auto development has been slow, partly due to OEMs giving them trouble about sharing data. Stuff about google stealing their secret sauce.. like google couldn't afford a porche to tear apart if they wanted to secret sauce.
Good to know. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:33 PM   #11
Crazypinoy9

Drives: FR-S TRD RS1#1488
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Your other option would be to hook up a Chromecast to your 4200nex. It works. I just set it up last night actually lol

You just gotta make sure to use your Wifi Hotspot function of your phone as the default network that the Chromecast uses during setup. Works like a charm. I used USB Port 1 as my power source for the Chromecast FYI. other people branched it off to a separate USB port plugged into their cigarette lighter.
Crazypinoy9 is offline   Reply With Quote