follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 05-05-2019, 02:28 AM   #15
Stevemode

Drives: "Baby Gurl" of FBM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm in the middle of what I believe the OP is trying to do with a 2JZ/CD009 setup to 750hp (my goal) and the answer you're looking for is this swap isn't yet just a common drop in item, and that's why a ballpark figure can't be applied. Many other supporting parts have to be considered when doing it. There are so many variables in the small parts you choose to make it run, along with the labor of tunnel modification, clutch, drive shaft, axles, rear end, etc. etc. it all adds up. The car still has a lot to do, but here are the costs I remember to this point:

-2JZGTE swap from Ichiban JDM in California $3400 shipped

-Machine work to stock rebuild $750 with small parts (my labor dissassemble/reassemble)

-BC cams and valvetrain $900? (about a year ago)
-Pure Automotive tensioner/belt kit (forgot, couple/three hundred?)

-CD009 from local salvage yard $735
-Pure/FBM 2JZ/CD009 with twin disc conversion sub $4000 as I recall
-Borg S366 $800ish

I'm sure there are many other things I'm not thinking about and the car is still far from done with no management yet. I remember the first time I set the engine in on the FBM mounts and felt accomplished. The engine/trans has been back in/out at least 3 times getting the tunnel dialed in, but there isn't a manual yet on bang/cut here, and I don't think there ever will be. This isn't a swap I think anyone would just toss the whole JDM twins setup in, so simply buying the mounts and setting it in isn't how this is going to go, and that's why it would be hard to guesstimate any particular build. I am affiliated with FBM as the driver of their old drag car which has made some things cheaper than click/buy, but between them and Pure they have all the parts to do it.

Stevemode is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stevemode For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (05-05-2019), Sportsguy83 (05-08-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 08:53 PM   #16
Cookiemonster

Drives: '17 BRZ M6 & '17 Corvette Z06 M7
Good stuff Steve. Do you have a build thread going?

PURE PM'd me with a ballpark turnkey solution, and I'm trying to figure out the generalities of what that includes and doesn't include...i.e. "Includes getting the engine cleaned up, all the modification required to get it and the CD009 to fit and mated to each other, hot + cold side manifolds, piping, fuel, Motec EMS with harness, whatever else is included. Doesn't include beefed up DSS axles, tuning, stronger rear diff like an M85, things like that.

Now that I have a good ballpark figure, the question becomes what is considered 'turnkey'? It's like saying what is your definition of 'it's good to go'.

I know as you stated above, this isn't some common parts bin drop-it-in-and-go swap, and I know there are a ton of variables (what kind of turbo, tuning solution, clutch, built engine parts, drivetrain mods, the list goes on) but there have to be some generalities that can be made when stating something as a turnkey swap, even if it's just 'includes fuel rail, injectors, fuel pump(s)' vs 'won't include flex fuel adapter for e85'

At the end of the day, when I get close to time for $ to get dumped into this swap, I'll just have to call up PURE and work out all the details.

Until then, thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. Thanks to PURE for giving me a ballpark figure that I can work towards, and for the advice those of you who have PM'd me about your swaps - I definitely appreciate it.
Cookiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:38 PM   #17
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemonster View Post
Good stuff Steve. Do you have a build thread going?
M85 diff is not stronger, it's the same diff as ours, just with a taller final drive which is preferred with a high power builds.

Contact KAB Customs in North Lauderdale FL. They did my swap and another one for a guy in Tampa, they have also done a 2J swap at the shop. Reputable company with knowledge and standup people. Just an option to consider since they are "local" in FL.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Cookiemonster (05-23-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 12:36 PM   #18
Cookiemonster

Drives: '17 BRZ M6 & '17 Corvette Z06 M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
M85 diff is not stronger, it's the same diff as ours, just with a taller final drive which is preferred with a high power builds.

Contact KAB Customs in North Lauderdale FL. They did my swap and another one for a guy in Tampa, they have also done a 2J swap at the shop. Reputable company with knowledge and standup people. Just an option to consider since they are "local" in FL.
Good call out on the final drive. I need to take that into account as well when I pull the trigger on this swap.

Thanks for the local shop reco. I'll have to touch base with them. Do you know if they have experience with the MoTec EMS?
Cookiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:40 PM   #19
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemonster View Post
Good call out on the final drive. I need to take that into account as well when I pull the trigger on this swap.

Thanks for the local shop reco. I'll have to touch base with them. Do you know if they have experience with the MoTec EMS?

I have the Pure Motec package on my car and installed by them so yes.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Cookiemonster (05-26-2019)

Tags
2jz swap