follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #1
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
PP Brembos: Strange feel under light braking?

I find it difficult to smoothly brake at low speeds with the PP Brembos with the OEM pads. Coming to a stop, there doesn't seem to be much resolution at the end of the pedal to stop without suddenly jerking the car to a halt. If I focus enough, its possible, but certainly more difficult than your average OEM brakes.

Have I incorrectly bedded that pads? Or is it just a characteristic of the brakes themselves?
mistople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:58 PM   #2
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
This is not my experience - I've found them almost too progressive, taking effort to stop hard, even moving slowly. I don't have many miles on the setup so I suppose that could change.

At a guess, your technique will improve with practice, where it's about learning subtlety at a foot position you've never needed to care. You might also evaluate seating position, and verify you're able to use small muscle groups to control pressure. I'm not sure these are likely, but figure it's worth throwing it out there.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:39 PM   #3
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistople View Post
I find it difficult to smoothly brake at low speeds with the PP Brembos with the OEM pads. Coming to a stop, there doesn't seem to be much resolution at the end of the pedal to stop without suddenly jerking the car to a halt. If I focus enough, its possible, but certainly more difficult than your average OEM brakes.

Have I incorrectly bedded that pads? Or is it just a characteristic of the brakes themselves?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
This is not my experience - I've found them almost too progressive, taking effort to stop hard, even moving slowly. I don't have many miles on the setup so I suppose that could change.

At a guess, your technique will improve with practice, where it's about learning subtlety at a foot position you've never needed to care. You might also evaluate seating position, and verify you're able to use small muscle groups to control pressure. I'm not sure these are likely, but figure it's worth throwing it out there.
There are variety of factors playing into this. We have setup multiple vehicles that have the PP kit and the Brembo GT. If you have an application on what you will subject your car to, please let us know and we can supply you with the appropriate setup.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #4
mistople

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSpace Garage View Post
There are variety of factors playing into this. We have setup multiple vehicles that have the PP kit and the Brembo GT. If you have an application on what you will subject your car to, please let us know and we can supply you with the appropriate setup.
I have no problems (yet) with the brakes under heavy load. As I learn more at the track, I'm sure I'll venture into cylinder braces, upgraded lines, etc. For aggressive backroad/canyon driving, OEM has been mostly OK.

I'm mostly just wondering if other owners of stock PP BRZs have had similar impressions of the OEM setup.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:59 PM   #5
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,466 Times in 3,205 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
I have no problems (yet) with the brakes under heavy load. As I learn more at the track, I'm sure I'll venture into cylinder braces, upgraded lines, etc. For aggressive backroad/canyon driving, OEM has been mostly OK.

I'm mostly just wondering if other owners of stock PP BRZs have had similar impressions of the OEM setup.
I don't really have a point of reference aside from this car, but I think I've somewhat experienced this as well with mine.

Like @cjd said, it's good to learn how to apply pressure with the small muscles on the bottom of your foot if possible. But I do think I've noticed sometimes the bite of the brake is a bit more noticeable than expected. I think now that I've driven the car about a year though, most of the time I'm able to control the brakes fairly well so I don't notice this.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:02 PM   #6
CounterSpace Garage

Quote:

It is a misconception that MCB and SS braided lines will suddenly improve that brake response. The OEM brake pads are formulated for excellent daily and public road usage. For track and more aggressive use, there are categories of pads available in stock. Let us know when you're ready for a consultation!
Old 02-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #7
mistople

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSpace Garage View Post
It is a misconception that MCB and SS braided lines will suddenly improve that brake response. The OEM brake pads are formulated for excellent daily and public road usage. For track and more aggressive use, there are categories of pads available in stock. Let us know when you're ready for a consultation!
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant that I have none of the usual problems owners talk about in regards to the standard setup--firewall flex, loss of feel over time, etc. I'll probably address those with the mods above as needed once I start tracking.

I'm more concerned with the feel of the brakes when just puttering around town. They are fine under aggressive driving situations, but feel very binary at lower speeds.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:25 PM   #8
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Garage
I think mine feel the same way mistople. It's not abnormal. In fact, even the Evo X Brembo brakes felt kind of like that. It's almost a sticky feeling. I ordered some Endless pads and fluid so we'll see how that changes things.
mistople (02-23-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 01:17 PM   #9
CounterSpace Garage

Quote:
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant that I have none of the usual problems owners talk about in regards to the standard setup--firewall flex, loss of feel over time, etc. I'll probably address those with the mods above as needed once I start tracking.

I'm more concerned with the feel of the brakes when just puttering around town. They are fine under aggressive driving situations, but feel very binary at lower speeds.
We can certainly help you out when the time comes as we have a fairly extensive resume testing a variety of brake setups and compounds.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:57 PM   #10
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
CounterSpace Garage: i sometimes wish for unified cross vendors pads temp/Mu chart to exist. Have you ever considered making such or it's not possible to make w/o some highly specialized (& probably thus very expensive) brake test rig/dyno?
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:29 PM   #11
R2

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
CounterSpace Garage: i sometimes wish for unified cross vendors pads temp/Mu chart to exist. Have you ever considered making such or it's not possible to make w/o some highly specialized (& probably thus very expensive) brake test rig/dyno?
Even a comparison chart drawn subjectively by someone with reliable experience would help.
R2 is offline   Reply With Quote