follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #673
WRX4ME

Drives: 2016 BRZ HyperBlue, 2015 WRX Red
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylebrz View Post
I meant hks L style charger it's not because of it being left hand drive cars cause my old rotrex was right hand rotation and it was mounted on the front of the belt like the hks. The reason why the gts7040l rotates to the left is to utilize the factory air box and minimize the amount of intercooler piping. Keeps the cost down by a bit... and the rotrex is totally different from the hks.... rotrex had nothing to do with this charger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. Good to know. Despite the fact that the HKS system is 'in-house', there's a fascinating document that can be found by going to Google and searching "Rotrex Technical Handbook". This was basically the tech manual supplied by Rotrex for anyone developing a kit for a car that utilized their supercharger system. As such, it goes into quite a bit of detail on the design of the traction drive system and how it functions and what can damage it as well as detailing how a system must be designed so as not to cause damage to the unit or ancillary components, etc. Though the HKS system is not Rotrex, both systems are centrifugal superchargers that utilize a traction-drive system. So the design principles are the same. And, considering that there doesn't appear to be a HKS Technical Handbook out there for download, this might make interesting reading for those wanting to know the ins and outs of how this type of supercharger system operates.
WRX4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WRX4ME For This Useful Post:
Kylebrz (06-21-2017), zeal86 (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 08:33 PM   #674
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I meant hks L style charger it's not because of it being left hand drive cars cause my old rotrex was right hand rotation and it was mounted on the front of the belt like the hks. The reason why the gts7040l rotates to the left is to utilize the factory air box and minimize the amount of intercooler piping. Keeps the cost down by a bit... and the rotrex is totally different from the hks.... rotrex had nothing to do with this charger.

Ummm, not to be smug but the HKS centrifugal compressor is without a doubt based originally on a Rotrex unit. Aside from specific materials or dimensions of components, the only significant difference is the HKS has one roller that can help to somewhat disengage the traction drive at lower revs for efficiency. It rotates left as the pulley faces in.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
WRX4ME (06-22-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 08:11 AM   #675
WRX4ME

Curious if anyone has taken measurements of their traction fluid temperatures after periods of brisk driving and what temps you've been seeing?
Old 06-29-2017, 11:51 AM   #676
Kylebrz

Drives: 2013 subaru brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Ummm, not to be smug but the HKS centrifugal compressor is without a doubt based originally on a Rotrex unit. Aside from specific materials or dimensions of components, the only significant difference is the HKS has one roller that can help to somewhat disengage the traction drive at lower revs for efficiency. It rotates left as the pulley faces in.

The 4 hks kits I have seen do not disengage at all they run on direct drive and have very little "slip"

Kylebrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #677
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
The 4 hks kits I have seen do not disengage at all they run on direct drive and have very little "slip"

I have a first run Version 2 kit from Japanland and you feel when it engages big time.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:52 PM   #678
Kylebrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by empower-auto View Post
I have a first run Version 2 kit from Japanland and you feel when it engages big time.

You sure it's not just the bov closing after the suoercharger starts making more boost then the engines vacuum?

Old 06-29-2017, 04:16 PM   #679
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:

There is one roller with a variable geometry. I have seen it myself in 2 different HKS units. It engages as a result of centrifugal force above a certain revs.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:34 PM   #680
Kylebrz

The Following User Says Thank You to Kylebrz For This Useful Post:
Evil Rocky (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 08:51 AM   #681
Kylebrz

New piece is flawless and works awesome!!! Made out of thicker and stronger material also has a better clearence for oil passages on the backside

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kylebrz For This Useful Post:
Efferalgan (06-30-2017), makinen (06-30-2017), Trap63 (08-07-2017), Yobiwan (06-30-2017), zeal86 (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 09:41 AM   #682
Efferalgan

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, I hate to say it but here I am back, the originator of this thread.
My blower appears to have just failed. It was a replacement which I paid for and received in Jan 2016 after waiting 6 months for it to arrive from Japan.
I was getting zero boost so removed and checked the blower. It is in exactly the same state as others I saw on this thread that failed in Russia. The annulus has separated at the threads. I bought this from HKS North America's recommended dealer at the time.

I am massively disappointed and moreover if HKS denies fault for the same failure seen multiple times here now I will make a lot of noise. Plus the 6 month screw around i had last time actually getting the part was ridiculously unacceptable. How can they sell these and carry zero backup? People's cars are down when these things fail.
The unit has ~7000 miles on It, stock pulley always. Stock fuel and custom tune with 7000 rpm fuel cutoff. There is nothing I could have done to have caused this.

I will report my results here yet again.
Sorry to hear that man but all 7040Ls will fail sooner or later because of the weak design. Many owners already know that from own sad experience (some even had it twice like you and me), others still believe in miracles and/or some HKS brand magic (which is non-existent) but they will admit eventually too that these superchargers' failure is inevitable like death or taxes
Efferalgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:14 AM   #683
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
I'd love to be able to fix my unit. I have a car sitting in the garage until that time. Looks like unless HKS decides to do the right thing I will be all the rest of the year garaged.

Kylebrz- did you already install and use the newly fabbed annulus? I'd want to if I could.

I really need help!!!
Old 06-30-2017, 10:14 AM   #684
Evil Rocky

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
New piece is flawless and works awesome!!! Made out of thicker and stronger material also has a better clearence for oil passages on the backside

Will you be selling those? Or is it more just for you? Very nicely done!
Evil Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:18 AM   #685
Kylebrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rocky View Post
Will you be selling those? Or is it more just for you? Very nicely done!

Hey man I'm in the testing stage at the moment and if all is good I will need your old piece with the drive stub to make more I'll keep you posted there is a lot going into making that piece

The Following User Says Thank You to Kylebrz For This Useful Post:
Evil Rocky (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 10:25 AM   #686
WRX4ME

Quote:
There is one roller with a variable geometry. I have seen it myself in 2 different HKS units. It engages as a result of centrifugal force above a certain revs.
Correct. HKS did this to preserve fuel economy while cruising. In some instances, the roller has stuck in the open position, not engaging the supercharger and subsequently, not making boost. Time will tell, I suppose, if their novel little idea turns out to be a problem area.
The Following User Says Thank You to WRX4ME For This Useful Post:
Kylebrz (06-30-2017)