follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 10-18-2015, 03:47 PM   #29
vividracing

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,065 Times in 617 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
^ Exactly what I was going to recommend. Adding another catalytic converter to the system or sourcing another muffler would be the way to go, strictly for sound reduction purposes.
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:40 AM   #30
Docmattic

Drives: GT 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nice bro! I was looking into the harrop for a while. I ended up getting a sprintex for half price and couldn't justify the price difference waiting for the harrop.

Do you plan to run e85 at all.
Docmattic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:35 AM   #31
retrofit

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Unfortunately the rasp is probably coming from your header. Since you are going for that "sleeper" look, why not give the stock muffler a try? You can also maybe try a catted header or catted mid pipe. ACE also has a super quiet muffler they are developing

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95331
Lol, I'll try out the stock muffler and see how it goes. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividracing View Post
^ Exactly what I was going to recommend. Adding another catalytic converter to the system or sourcing another muffler would be the way to go, strictly for sound reduction purposes.
Thanks, that gives me an idea. I don't want to add another cat as it may have an effect on the current exhaust flow. What I might do instead is find another front-pipe with Hi Flow cat and resonator if one even exists. Then I can keep my Q300 after all.
retrofit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:39 AM   #32
retrofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docmattic View Post
Do you plan to run e85 at all.
The thought did cross my mind but it won't be something I'll do in the near future.

Are you running E85?
Old 10-19-2015, 07:04 AM   #33
Docmattic

Drives: GT 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You can get significant hp and torque gain from running it.
I have the sprintex kit (i havn't installed yet). I will however be getting it installed with e85 and a 69mm pulley. I also plan to do the exhaust from headers back eventually - ultrex have a good price on these (and decently priced wheels if you are interested)

. I believe i'll be able to push about 300whp with this setup through delicious tuning. Only 240whp without e85. You can get flex fuel kits for $400 locally so its a pretty cheap upgrade to go along the thousands you spend for forced induction.

I am lucky in the fact i have a petrol station that sells e85 in close proximity to my house.

Last edited by Docmattic; 10-19-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Docmattic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:29 AM   #34
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrofit View Post
This is my current build:

Harrop supercharger kit
-using standard 95mm pulley
-BMC air filter

Tomei 4-2-1 equal length headers (Jet-Hot ceramic coating)
SME 2.5" overpipe (Jet-Hot ceramic coating)
SME 2.5" frontpipe (with Hi Flow cat)
Invidia Q300 cat back exhaust

Valenti crystal full red tail lights

Edit: dyno sheet attached

The car looks great... and I am busy deciding between the Harrop and Edelbrock kits (will probably only get it early 2016). Funny enough I have also just ordered/trying to order the Tomei EL headers.

Was there a big price difference to get the ceramic coating (and is it worthwhile doing?!) How do you like the headers and the SC kit so far?!
86 South Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:43 AM   #35
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Given you are still on the stock wheels and tyres I was curious how your traction is going?

Where I'm going with this is I'm curious as to what sort of a power level would you want to look at going to a wider tyre/wheel combo like 17x8 as opposed to staying on the stock size but going say a better compound tyre and lighter rims like RPF1's (or something in their vicinity).

Car is looking great btw! Cudos for going the S/C direction too. Must feel like a 3L+ V6 now!
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:29 AM   #36
retrofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 South Africa View Post
Was there a big price difference to get the ceramic coating (and is it worthwhile doing?!)
From memory the ceramic coating went for about $380 AUD for both the headers, overpipe, and one way shipping to the shop to have them coated.

I think it's worth doing the ceramic coating. The way I see it, less heat is radiated from the headers and overpipe as more heat is expelled with the exhaust gases, this leads to lower engine bay temps, and more power because the engine is allowed to draw in colder air.

If you're going with ceramic coating be sure to choose a decent product that gets baked after it has been applied. The product I went for rates up to 1700F degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 South Africa View Post
How do you like the headers and the SC kit so far?!
The car is absolutely amazing with the SC, definitely too much power for the stock tires to handle, I'm regularly losing traction when taking off from the traffic lights so plenty of torque in the lower rpm range. When revving all the way up into the higher rpm range, I get pulled back into my seat and really start to notice what the car is capable of. This is how the car should have been out of the factory.

So far I've only had a chance to enjoy driving mostly in traffic, stop/start driving conditions, and cruising on the freeway. I'm looking forward to going for a spirited drive (where my exhaust noise won't bother anyone) when I get back from my holiday in the land of the rising sun.

On another note, I've seen news that Toyota have decided to add more power to a future model of the 86, according to Tetsuya Tada they don't want to go the turbo charging route for more power. It'll be interesting to see what solution they come up with. In fact they might come up with a completely different car.

P.S. I also had a chance to go to the Tokyo Motor Show which was a fun experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to retrofit For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (11-07-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 03:49 AM   #37
retrofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
Given you are still on the stock wheels and tyres I was curious how your traction is going?
Lol, as per my post above, more traction definitely needed.

Quote:
Where I'm going with this is I'm curious as to what sort of a power level would you want to look at going to a wider tyre/wheel combo like 17x8 as opposed to staying on the stock size but going say a better compound tyre and lighter rims like RPF1's (or something in their vicinity).
The RPF1s would make a nice set of rims, I was thinking 18x8 rather than 17x8, not 100% decided on any particular rim though.

Any reason for sticking with the standard rim diameter?

Quote:
Car is looking great btw! Cudos for going the S/C direction too. Must feel like a 3L+ V6 now!
Yep, that's another way to put it. I have a friend who drives a V8 putting out nearly/approximately 300kw, he was pretty impressed when I took him for a spin. I'd say the SC now pushes out the power to weight ratio of my car slightly ahead of his now.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:10 AM   #38
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Any reason for sticking with the standard rim diameter?
I've been doing a lot of reading up and thinking about where I want to go with my build. I came from a long run of V8's from L's to blacks and beyond with a string of family Holden's ranging from VK and VN to my own VT 5L and finally my last car, a 5.7 Monaro. All moded to some degree.

Then one day a family member suddenly had a change of heart and got an S15 200SX and, it was from that moment on, I learnt the joys of a really nice handling light FR platform. Sorry for the long windup, but lets just say I appreciate the feel and throttle response of a larger displacement N/A so S/C's are deeply more appealing to me than a Turbo will ever be and its something I wish the 200SX had instead!

Coming back to the wheel and tires. A lot of people over tire their twin and so negatively effect its performance and balance. They introduce too much grip into the equation, for the power level of the car, and further mess things up by reducing compliance through thinner rubber (18/19" wheels) and or increase their weight which introduces unsprung weight.

I've already bought a Cusco 4.556 FD gear set for install shortly. Then am adding some bracing to sharpen up the handling and am looking to go to a higher performance tire, but on a much lighter wheel. Been eyeballing a set of these http://www.tomsracing.co.jp/products...9c7428d442382c

Either that or some white 17x7 RPF1's (I have a white BRZ), but I'm not a fan of the way Enki centre cap looks, whether left open or with one of their own caps to cover it.

Once out of warranty I'll likely do a full ACE header back exhaust including their high flow muffler, possibly add some Crawford power blocks (to shift power further down the rev range) and get a custom tune. Once I have that much power then I might consider needing to go to say a 17x8" wheel and 225 tyre.

TL; DR I'm going for a nimble and highly responsive build that is both comfortable and reliable as a daily driver.
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:15 AM   #39
Kayshart

Drives: BRZ
Garage
Requesting for video clip! Would like to hear the sound of that supercharger!
Kayshart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:57 AM   #40
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Same here love there car but where is the sound?!
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 03:09 AM   #41
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Garage
Quote:

The car is absolutely amazing with the SC, definitely too much power for the stock tires to handle, I'm regularly losing traction when taking off from the traffic lights so plenty of torque in the lower rpm range. When revving all the way up into the higher rpm range, I get pulled back into my seat and really start to notice what the car is capable of. This is how the car should have been out of the factory.

On another note, I've seen news that Toyota have decided to add more power to a future model of the 86, according to Tetsuya Tada they don't want to go the turbo charging route for more power. It'll be interesting to see what solution they come up with. In fact they might come up with a completely different car.

P.S. I also had a chance to go to the Tokyo Motor Show which was a fun experience.

Sounds awesome! Looking to do mine first half of 2016

I read bit on the new model too... Looks like "more power" isn't going to include any FI as standard, just more of the same. I'm not expecting anything great power wise - probably a few horses more. (They also can't boost power too much cos current 86 owners would be rly annoyed

Japan on my bucket list... Apparently it is awesome.
86 South Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:40 AM   #42
Toyota86.ir
Mike Tune HKS E85 FD 4.88

Drives: Toyota GT86 AT NA Stage 2
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I've been doing a lot of reading up and thinking about where I want to go with my build. I came from a long run of V8's from L's to blacks and beyond with a string of family Holden's ranging from VK and VN to my own VT 5L and finally my last car, a 5.7 Monaro. All moded to some degree.

Then one day a family member suddenly had a change of heart and got an S15 200SX and, it was from that moment on, I learnt the joys of a really nice handling light FR platform. Sorry for the long windup, but lets just say I appreciate the feel and throttle response of a larger displacement N/A so S/C's are deeply more appealing to me than a Turbo will ever be and its something I wish the 200SX had instead!

Coming back to the wheel and tires. A lot of people over tire their twin and so negatively effect its performance and balance. They introduce too much grip into the equation, for the power level of the car, and further mess things up by reducing compliance through thinner rubber (18/19" wheels) and or increase their weight which introduces unsprung weight.

I've already bought a Cusco 4.556 FD gear set for install shortly. Then am adding some bracing to sharpen up the handling and am looking to go to a higher performance tire, but on a much lighter wheel. Been eyeballing a set of these http://www.tomsracing.co.jp/products...9c7428d442382c

Either that or some white 17x7 RPF1's (I have a white BRZ), but I'm not a fan of the way Enki centre cap looks, whether left open or with one of their own caps to cover it.

Once out of warranty I'll likely do a full ACE header back exhaust including their high flow muffler, possibly add some Crawford power blocks (to shift power further down the rev range) and get a custom tune. Once I have that much power then I might consider needing to go to say a 17x8" wheel and 225 tyre.

TL; DR I'm going for a nimble and highly responsive build that is both comfortable and reliable as a daily driver.
I love my FD4.88 E85 stage2 gt86 throttle response , my car rev so nimble and crisp .
Some days i think about harrop SC kit but i really really worry about throttle response .
Do you think harrop make throttle less crisp?
Toyota86.ir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build thread, forced induction, harrop, supercharger