follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 03-03-2019, 06:09 PM   #1
Jcas

Drives: 2013 Limited Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation First start after 4 and a half months

First off, I want to apologize if I am posting this in the wrong section it seemed like it would be the most suiting. So, yesterday I had replaced my headers, overpipe and front pipe all with aftermarket parts and I already had a catback on it, so now I have a full exhaust system . Now to my part where maybe i'm just bugging out because the car makes different noises changing so much with all the new exhaust components. I tuned it stage 2+ on the OFT and started it up, mind you its been sitting in my garage for 4 and half months because its winter here in the Northeast. So it started right up no problems at all idle was a little low at times trying to adjust to the tune at times but never stalled. So what had me worried is while it was warming up I popped the hood to make sure everything was kosher and all the sudden I started hearing a little ticking noise not to the beat or idle of the engine though. It was coming from the driver side engine on top somewhere it sounds like. I was thinking maybe just a lifter tick? Fuel pump? Injectors? Not really sure but yeah haven't started the car in a while nonetheless so that could also play a factor possibly just not used to the sounds yet maybe lol. If anyone has any ideas on what it could possibly be feel free to share! Thank you in advance.
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:19 PM   #2
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Is the gas in the tank the same 4 1/2 months old? Fuel pump not happy or maybe injectors...
Old 03-03-2019, 08:52 PM   #3
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,093 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
May have been lubricating things still. When it sits for that long, everything goes bone dry. Let it run for a half hour and tell us if it's still there. Could also be a belt or pulley, but terribly unlikely.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
Jcas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
Is the gas in the tank the same 4 1/2 months old? Fuel pump not happy or maybe injectors...
yes it is the same gas, but I also out stabil in it so the gas didn't go stale/bad. And yeah thats what I was thinking possibly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jcas For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 10:32 AM   #5
Jcas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
May have been lubricating things still. When it sits for that long, everything goes bone dry. Let it run for a half hour and tell us if it's still there. Could also be a belt or pulley, but terribly unlikely.
Yeah thats true, I didn't even drive it yet either so im sure im just paranoid and itll go away once it runs more and actually drives and gets everything all lubricated and what not.
DarkPira7e (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 10:53 AM   #6
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
New exhaust heating up, expanding and making a ticking sound. All exhausts do it but new ones can be really loud as everything finds it's place. It may have sounded like it was coming from the top of the engine since the noise bounced around a bit. The fact that it was not tied to the engine speed rules out most of the engine components.
Could also just be the style of header you installed. Some of them make some weird sounds.
LimitedSlip (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 02:29 PM   #7
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Yep, like said, I'd suggest you go fill up with fresh gas and then take a long drive (an hour or so). Maybe the car just needs to "shake it out" after its hibernation and the new exhaust parts need a chance to settle in.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:25 PM   #8
Trueweltall

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Gas isn't going to go bad in 4 months, I have had motorcycles sit for a year with a full tank and start up like normal after taking them off my trickle charger.
Trueweltall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trueweltall For This Useful Post:
Jcas (03-05-2019), soundman98 (03-05-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 07:50 PM   #9
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,632 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueweltall View Post
Gas isn't going to go bad in 4 months, I have had motorcycles sit for a year with a full tank and start up like normal after taking them off my trickle charger.
Then why is it recommended to use stabilizer for winter storage? There must be SOME degradation but stabilizer is also a lubricant which helps upon bone dry startup no doubt. It also quiets the crickets.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:27 PM   #10
Trueweltall

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
It's recommended so you spend your money on their product, it's marketing 101. Just top off your fuel tank before you store your car, if it's under a year you'll probably be a-okay. If it's outside in direct sunlight being exposed to a greater range of temperature fluctuations you will have more hydrocarbons evaporate and possibly more condensation getting in (e85 and blends).
Trueweltall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trueweltall For This Useful Post:
Jcas (03-05-2019), soundman98 (03-05-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 09:45 PM   #11
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcas View Post
all the sudden I started hearing a little ticking noise not to the beat or idle of the engine though. It was coming from the driver side engine on top somewhere it sounds like. I was thinking maybe just a lifter tick? Fuel pump? Injectors?
When the engine is up to temp and left to idle, the fueling system switches from port injection to direct injection. It can be disturbing for the unsuspecting owner because it truly makes a racket. Viewing the engine from the front, the DI pump is just behind the oil fill cap.

Here's someone else's video clip capturing the moment where it switches over.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBB3GREGPSc[/ame]

Last edited by Ultramaroon; 03-04-2019 at 10:24 PM.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:06 AM   #12
Jcas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
When the engine is up to temp and left to idle, the fueling system switches from port injection to direct injection. It can be disturbing for the unsuspecting owner because it truly makes a racket. Viewing the engine from the front, the DI pump is just behind the oil fill cap.

Here's someone else's video clip capturing the moment where it switches over.

THATS EXACTLY THE SOUND!
Ultramaroon (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 08:06 AM   #13
Jcas

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Yep, like said, I'd suggest you go fill up with fresh gas and then take a long drive (an hour or so). Maybe the car just needs to "shake it out" after its hibernation and the new exhaust parts need a chance to settle in.

humfrz
fair enough thanks!
Old 03-05-2019, 08:07 AM   #14
Jcas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
New exhaust heating up, expanding and making a ticking sound. All exhausts do it but new ones can be really loud as everything finds it's place. It may have sounded like it was coming from the top of the engine since the noise bounced around a bit. The fact that it was not tied to the engine speed rules out most of the engine components.
Could also just be the style of header you installed. Some of them make some weird sounds.
This is true since im new to the full exhaust life

Tags
brz, engine, headers, noise, tick