follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-06-2019, 03:56 PM   #1
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Android Head Unit for ECUtek Bluetooth

I can't find any information with specific examples showing what head units people are using for ECUtek's bluetooth connections. I may change up my game (currently using gauges) and buy an Android head unit to use for this and music.

My worry is that not every headunit works well specifically with bluetooth devices that require a stable connection ( datalogging) and I wanted first hand experience.

I do not care if the sound quality isn't great, or if it doesn't have apple CarPlay. I would like to be able to plug my ipod in through a rear USB cable though.

I do not want to use my phone nor a tablet, I want a head unit for this purpose.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:51 PM   #2
Horrid_Funk

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've been using a Joying unit for a little over a year. Same one as in this DIY: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111866

I don't do the bluetooth OBDII, I actually use a USB connection. I think the Joying one may be limited in its bluetooth connectivity to their branded OBDII reader? I've never checked to be honest. The USB works fine though, I just run it up straight behind my head unit and into one of its USB ports. Only issue I've run into is that Harry's Lap Timer doesn't support USB, only Bluetooth.

I'm pretty happy with it, I can monitor and datalog in Torque, Harry's Lap Timer, and it has full functionality with the steering wheel controls, backup camera, front AUX and USB etc. It took a little bit of soldering to get a 100% functional wiring harness but it works great now. I usually just do a wireless hotspot on my phone if I want an internet connection to the head unit to download or for navigation.

Only complaint is it can be a little slow when loading up some apps, and the GPS doesn't get a strong reading sometimes. For just datalogging and music I've never had any issues at all, perfectly quick and no problems. For like $300 or less it works pretty damn well.
Horrid_Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Horrid_Funk For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 05:03 PM   #3
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrid_Funk View Post
I've been using a Joying unit for a little over a year. Same one as in this DIY: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111866

I don't do the bluetooth OBDII, I actually use a USB connection. I think the Joying one may be limited in its bluetooth connectivity to their branded OBDII reader? I've never checked to be honest. The USB works fine though, I just run it up straight behind my head unit and into one of its USB ports. Only issue I've run into is that Harry's Lap Timer doesn't support USB, only Bluetooth.

I'm pretty happy with it, I can monitor and datalog in Torque, Harry's Lap Timer, and it has full functionality with the steering wheel controls, backup camera, front AUX and USB etc. It took a little bit of soldering to get a 100% functional wiring harness but it works great now. I usually just do a wireless hotspot on my phone if I want an internet connection to the head unit to download or for navigation.

Only complaint is it can be a little slow when loading up some apps, and the GPS doesn't get a strong reading sometimes. For just datalogging and music I've never had any issues at all, perfectly quick and no problems. For like $300 or less it works pretty damn well.
THank you for the insight! Unfortunately, the bluetooth connectivity to ECUtek's OBD2 dongle will be a necessary evil, since it's a dedicated device paired with a license in ECUtek's software.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:43 PM   #4
Horrid_Funk

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
THank you for the insight! Unfortunately, the bluetooth connectivity to ECUtek's OBD2 dongle will be a necessary evil, since it's a dedicated device paired with a license in ECUtek's software.
If the bluetooth exclusivity is even a thing or actually even works there's definitely ways around it. Rooting the device will definitely do it, but I'm sure there's plenty of easy workarounds if you google it. I've actually been thinking about trying a bluetooth OBDII to work with HLT, so I'll try it and report back. I know I've got one laying around somewhere.
Horrid_Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:00 AM   #5
Trap63

Drives: Brz WRB - Europe LHD
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrid_Funk View Post
If the bluetooth exclusivity is even a thing or actually even works there's definitely ways around it. Rooting the device will definitely do it, but I'm sure there's plenty of easy workarounds if you google it. I've actually been thinking about trying a bluetooth OBDII to work with HLT, so I'll try it and report back. I know I've got one laying around somewhere.
Best platform still remains PX5 or PX6 thus these are fully covered by several mods on XDA.
Try to install Hal9K mod (droid 6, 8 or 9) and modify BT pairing name as EVI- xx under Mod installer features. Best compliant Hu's onboard BT module is MD725 Type 2 for Android 8 and 9.

Follow XDA developer forum under PX5 HU thread. My Ecutek ODB works fine on USB way.

The issue is that EVI BT announces itself not like an ODB scanner but as multimedia pheripherals....I contacted Ecutek support several months ago.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:58 AM   #6
staycrushing

Drives: A Hot Mess
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Yeah... I have the dasaita max6 and the ecutek Bluetooth will not connect :/

It’s pretty frustrating.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:18 PM   #7
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by staycrushing View Post
Yeah... I have the dasaita max6 and the ecutek Bluetooth will not connect :/

It’s pretty frustrating.
So strange, I wonder if we'll ever find something that works. Thank you for reporting
Old 10-26-2020, 03:45 AM   #8
ojuniour

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2017
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
What about bluetooth usb?
ojuniour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:31 PM   #9
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Bringing this back- has anyone found anything other than the Atoto A6?