follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #113
Tylub

Drives: Raven Black FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
I have a catted front and over. No drone at all. Silent at cruising and opens up under heavy throttle only.
Me too! Im around the Irvine area

instagram @Tylub
Mods: Tomei UELs, Tomei OP, Perrin Catted FP, ARK DT-S, Perrin LW Crank Pulley, Enkei RPF1, RSR Sporti, Supertek Intake Tube, Perrin CAI, Stoptech SS lines/brakes/slotted rotors, Cusco MCB brace/Strut Bar
Tylub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #114
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm in the downtown area and would love to check out other rides in person.
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #115
Tylub

Drives: Raven Black FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoomers View Post
I'm in the downtown area and would love to check out other rides in person.
Perhaps a mini meet would be appropriate

instagram @Tylub
Mods: Tomei UELs, Tomei OP, Perrin Catted FP, ARK DT-S, Perrin LW Crank Pulley, Enkei RPF1, RSR Sporti, Supertek Intake Tube, Perrin CAI, Stoptech SS lines/brakes/slotted rotors, Cusco MCB brace/Strut Bar
Tylub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #116
Eric1855

Drives: LP DSP / CSP '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
How long did you have it on your AT car before the shake developed?

I have the full header back on my BRZ which is also an AT for 3 days now, driven about a 100 or so miles with no shake or rattle.
Eric1855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #117
zoomzoomers

I've clocked around 800 total miles since initial install. From what I recall the rattle started about 300 miles ago. The problem is it seems its ever so slightly getting worse.
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #118
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1855 View Post
How long did you have it on your AT car before the shake developed?

I have the full header back on my BRZ which is also an AT for 3 days now, driven about a 100 or so miles with no shake or rattle.
Mine's done it since day one.

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #119
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Wanted to provide an update after my test drive. Sorry for the late reply. . .haven't had power since Monday night due to the storm and just got it back earlier today. Took the car for a drive and didn't hear any more noises. My advice for anyone doing the install with a resonator is to try to move the resonator as far away from the side tunnel as possible. You can do this by playing with the exhaust hangers and rotating the rear pipe in the v-band clamps. It doesn't move a lot, but it's enough to give you the clearance you need.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #120
DSOmegaX

You can also throw on a set of polyurethane hangars to help minimize movement

Old 11-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #121
zoomzoomers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnk View Post
Wanted to provide an update after my test drive. Sorry for the late reply. . .haven't had power since Monday night due to the storm and just got it back earlier today. Took the car for a drive and didn't hear any more noises. My advice for anyone doing the install with a resonator is to try to move the resonator as far away from the side tunnel as possible. You can do this by playing with the exhaust hangers and rotating the rear pipe in the v-band clamps. It doesn't move a lot, but it's enough to give you the clearance you need.
Glad to hear you were able to remedy your problem. The thing is, I have an un-resonated CBE so the rattle isn't coming from under the car, or the drive shaft tunnel area. Mine is coming from the tip or the tail end of the exhaust/car.

Quote:
You can also throw on a set of polyurethane hangars to help minimize movement
So I have to spend more money to solve a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place? I really hope this isn't the case. From what I can see, without getting the car in the air, it seems the entire CBE is shaking and the tail end or the tip area is rattling since it has the least amount of bracing. If that makes any sense at all. BTW, I have an AT.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #122
TwinRz

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ok I read the whole thread. If what I read was correct we can avoid this issue if we use the hangars that Perrin sells also?

I was already going to purchase the hangars also so will we still need to worry about it hitting that spot if we get the resonated version? I plan to get headers also when Perrin releases them so I dont want the car to be too loud if I get the un resonated. I enjoy a quiet exhaust not one that people will scold at you for having. I am not a kid anymore and also do find loud exhausts to be annoying as hell.
TwinRz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #123
DSOmegaX

I meant to help ensure the resonator doesn't contact the transmission tunnel. In terms of the tip vibration, I put on the replacement that Perrin sent me, and it actually seemed to be worse. Like you said, it's the whole system that's vibrating. Having the full header back has decreased the amount of vibration by smoothing the engine idle more, but like what I thought before, it could just be the way the AT transmission idles. I have yet to hear an MT have the same problem.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #124
zoomzoomers

Quote:
I meant to help ensure the resonator doesn't contact the transmission tunnel. In terms of the tip vibration, I put on the replacement that Perrin sent me, and it actually seemed to be worse. Like you said, it's the whole system that's vibrating. Having the full header back has decreased the amount of vibration by smoothing the engine idle more, but like what I thought before, it could just be the way the AT transmission idles. I have yet to hear an MT have the same problem.
Are you using the Perrin poly hangers?

Old 11-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #125
DSOmegaX

I am currently using one of the perrin poly hangars for the mid pipe. The rest are the oem rubber. I've tried both full poly and full rubber and it didn't make a difference in terms of vibrations

Old 11-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #126
zoomzoomers

Quote:
I am currently using one of the perrin poly hangars for the mid pipe. The rest are the oem rubber. I've tried both full poly and full rubber and it didn't make a difference in terms of vibrations
Personally, I don't know what good poly hangers would do for an exhaust system. I mean most, if not all, CBE's are designed to use stock mounting points so why would stiffer hangers be beneficial? Maybe I don't know something someone else does, but that doesn't make any sense to me.

Tags
exhaust, headerback, perrin