follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-21-2017, 06:19 PM   #57
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
37 just traded in my adult looking 16' Mazda 6 for this 17' 86. I'm in retail management and pretty high up on the food chain and got bored real quick of the "Safe Car". Happy with my descision and got a ton of compliments from workers, didn't get those same compliments why I got my mazda. I'm more known as the guy with the fun sports cars, and not the guy with a boring sedan/suv/minivan.

Like others said keep the mods clean, avoid the stickers/rocketbunny/hellagayflush overkill. A nice set of wheels with a 1.5" drop and nice exhaust will fool most 9-5ers into thinking you got a high end sportscar. I'm sure they are real excited to get into their car when they leave work. To me its the best part of the day!
Old 05-21-2017, 08:19 PM   #58
Is Always Angry

Drives: Low and Slow
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esseff View Post
Ahhh... so where are you going to put your mountain bikes, windsurfers, camping gear, guitars n amps, fishing rods, sailing gear/tow the yacht, etc., etc.

Sports cars are for old farts that don't do fun stuff anymore (or who have a second suv for that).

Auto with paddle shifters... unbeatable!
Lol! Of course, two doors = soooo impractical!

@OP: And for those who hate on you saying it's not practical... I'm on the second to last day of a week long road trip/vacation with about 2,000 miles of driving and doing great. The whole time I've had an enormous 8 person tent, 2 sleeping bags, air mattress, huge tarp, cooking gear, food, cooler, my backpacking pack, some outdoorsy games/equipment, and all my fiance's shit (which is a lot of shit) in the car.

Plus we had room to bring a bocce ball set. Aaaaand I'm getting about 35mpg going 5 over everywhere and lots of spirited driving. I keep passing people and thinking how this trip would not have been nearly as fun in THAT car.

I will say though that I got a LOT of odd looks idling it through the campground lol
Is Always Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Is Always Angry For This Useful Post:
bcj (05-22-2017), humfrz (05-21-2017), strat61caster (05-21-2017), why? (05-22-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 09:01 PM   #59
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esseff View Post
Ahhh... so where are you going to put your mountain bikes, windsurfers, camping gear, guitars n amps, fishing rods, sailing gear/tow the yacht, etc., etc.

Sports cars are for old farts that don't do fun stuff anymore (or who have a second suv for that).

Auto with paddle shifters... unbeatable!
My mountain bike,fishing rods,camping gear, large esky fit when the back seat is folded down , but my kayak wont fit in!
The suv drivers wont listen , about why it is dangerous to put their hands on the inside of a steering wheel and why vehicles with a high C.O.G. are easily rolled over.
So why should we listen to them?
Because we do advanced driving training and enjoy driving!
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alan.chalkley For This Useful Post:
why? (05-22-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 09:52 PM   #60
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
Scrappydoo (05-22-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 10:36 PM   #61
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Is Always Angry View Post
I will say though that I got a LOT of odd looks idling it through the campground lol
.. I can relate. My wife and I took our FRS camping on the Outer Banks of North Carolina at the Oregon Inlet national park campground. Folks kind of stared at us as we pulled our 8-man North Face tent, sleeping bags, queen-size air mattress, twin-burner stove, stand, two comfy camp chairs, full-size cooler, smaller cooler for beer, blah blah blah out of the car. We were there for a week or so, enough time for most of the other sites to have turned over with new people by the time we left. I think the folks that watched us pack all of that stuff in the FRS for the trip home were scratching their heads even more than the folks that witnessed our arrival!

Lots of fun... the car held everything, albeit with some creative packing (no square inch wasted). Once the car was unloaded and we had setup camp, it was a BLAST cruising up and down the coast in the car. Couldn't ask for a better vehicle for long distance trips for two people and some gear.
HKz (05-22-2017), humfrz (05-21-2017), Is Always Angry (05-22-2017), why? (05-22-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 10:38 PM   #62
MuseChaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
That's just stupid, poorly written, and should not have been allowed here.

stevesnj (05-22-2017), Tcoat (05-22-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 11:05 PM   #63
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,825 Times in 16,428 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Is Always Angry View Post
Lol! Of course, two doors = soooo impractical!

@OP: And for those who hate on you saying it's not practical... I'm on the second to last day of a week long road trip/vacation with about 2,000 miles of driving and doing great. The whole time I've had an enormous 8 person tent, 2 sleeping bags, air mattress, huge tarp, cooking gear, food, cooler, my backpacking pack, some outdoorsy games/equipment, and all my fiance's shit (which is a lot of shit) in the car.

Plus we had room to bring a bocce ball set. Aaaaand I'm getting about 35mpg going 5 over everywhere and lots of spirited driving. I keep passing people and thinking how this trip would not have been nearly as fun in THAT car.

First off ...... I strongly recommend that you get your fiancée out of the BIG living quarters mode ....... before you go house hunting ......

Hey, sounds like a great trip! Good packing!

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Is Always Angry (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 01:02 AM   #64
Is Always Angry

Drives: Low and Slow
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

First off ...... I strongly recommend that you get your fiancée out of the BIG living quarters mode ....... before you go house hunting ......

Hey, sounds like a great trip! Good packing!

humfrz
Don't worry we make up for it by living in a tiny apartment! The tent was a gift
Is Always Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Is Always Angry For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 11:37 AM   #65
pushrod
Benched 86lb

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JARE_ee View Post
Hello everyone

I recently sold my automatic fr-s which i had since i was 22 years old. I found a buyer that was really interested in my car including mods. I was shopping around for other cars but I can't help but come back to this car. I am now in the process of buying a series blue brz.

I am 26 years old. I am getting a lot of push back from family and friends on this purchase because it is not practical, two seater (pretty much) , rear wheel (bad in the snow), and not professional. This would be my first manual car, and something i always wanted to learn. I will be buying this car regardless, but the push back and reasons i am getting aren't necessarily untruthful.

A lot of the criticism are:

"You are getting too old, you should be looking for something more practical."

"This car doesn't look professional.. you will look like still a young kid with a tuner car"

"You will regret it driving a manual car in the city"

"You won't survive in the winter"

"Why are you getting the same car, didnt you learn your lesson?"

I am sure there are many owners on this forum who can block this out because at the end of the day they know what they really want. But I would like to know what kind of criticism you had to deal with to purchase this car, a long with how to cope with these. Many of my friends are moving on and getting SUV, or like luxury sedans, and they think i am still silly going for these cars, and modding. I dont feel really old, but I don't think i am living in the past either. I feel like i can still drive this car up until my first child, which can be quite a while a way.

What are your thoughts owners? Did you get any criticism? I hate it when other try to push upon their right way of living onto you.
Replace FR-S with BRZ

Replace lame friends with new friends

Replace lame family with new family

Replace sad feels with happy feels

Replace oil every ~10k miles or less
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pushrod For This Useful Post:
8RZ (05-22-2017), kakacarrotcake (05-23-2017), why? (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 07:33 PM   #66
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
People will say all sorts of things. Not all of them are meant to change your mind, some are giving an honest opinion or are playing devil's advocate. 26 is still a kid, and I bet they all will compliment you on your car once you buy it.

None of those things you listed are real or true. There are people who have pictures on here of 5 people in their cars, or of two child seats, or of an insane amount of stuff all packed in. I don't get people who buy a car because of something that might happen once a year or one month out of a year.

It also really depends on your profession and what your future looks like. I guess if you have to drive 3 or 4 people around every day and your company will pay you to have a 4 door sedan, then that is a different matter.

Small cars are one of the things Japan and Europe get so much better than the US does. You can make any car fun, but it is a heck of a lot more expensive to make a 5000 lb SUV entertaining than a 2700lb car.

Also being unique is always better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
Wrong. If you don't listen to and value a loved one's opinions, why would they want to keep YOU in THEIR life?!?!?

I guess, if you really mean "tells," as in makes an ultimatum or DEMANDS, then you have a point. In the context of the original poster's situation, he/she has family and friends giving opinions about his/her car purchase. They may not be what he/she wants to hear, but a little listening never hurt anyone. I do agree that no one should be forced to do something they feel is wrong.
Seriously, that's idiotic. If you have family and friends because you want them to tell you what to do, they are slave owners, not family or friends. Are you really so sad you cannot make up your own mind on anything at all?

Just think what would be if Einstein would have listened to all those people's opinions of him, or Tesla, or George Washington or all those men and women whose names are on the Declaration of Independence?

There is a massive difference between listening to what people say and doing what people tell you to do.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:41 PM   #67
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Replace FR-S with BRZ
Huh?
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:14 PM   #68
pushrod
Benched 86lb

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
Huh?
From the original post:

I recently sold my automatic fr-s which i had since i was 22 years old. I found a buyer that was really interested in my car including mods. I was shopping around for other cars but I can't help but come back to this car. I am now in the process of buying a series blue brz.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:34 PM   #69
MuseChaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Seriously, that's idiotic. If you have family and friends because you want them to tell you what to do, they are slave owners, not family or friends. Are you really so sad you cannot make up your own mind on anything at all?

Just think what would be if Einstein would have listened to all those people's opinions of him, or Tesla, or George Washington or all those men and women whose names are on the Declaration of Independence?

There is a massive difference between listening to what people say and doing what people tell you to do.
Idiotic? Read what I wrote one more time, only maybe with the "comprehension" button activated.. I'm pretty sure we're saying the same thing.

1. You don't have family... family has YOU. If you choose to be disrespectful or ungrateful for what your family has done for you by completely ignoring their opinions, does that say more about you or your family?

2. I was pretty clear about the difference between "telling" and "ultimatum" vs. well-meaning but potentially errant advice. I agree that doing what you're told, regardless of the merit of the "command," is not a good way to go through life. I've already said that.

Sooo.. in your informed opinion, all those men and women (ummm.. sidebar... no woman signed the Declaration of Independence, not that it would have been a bad thing if one had) who signed the Declaration, Einstein, and Tesla never had colleagues or loved ones and operated solely based on their own whims? I don't use profanity much, but, well... bullshit.

I'll see your accusation of idiocy, and raise you ignorance, hubris, and self-aggrandisement.

Your deal.

Love,

Barry
wireman957 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 08:50 PM   #70
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
From the original post:

Well buying an auto was you first mistake. The BRZ grille is hideous btw
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote