follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-08-2014, 11:17 PM   #1
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Removable Nexus 7 install

A while back I decided to try doing a Nexus 7 install, and with much help from these forums and @phanguy (probably would've given up on this without you, haha), I was able to get a good test install in my car. But since I live in Louisiana, I needed to deal with the whole "extremely hot summer" thing, meaning the Nexus can't stay in the car since it could stop working/catch on fire/explode/etc (I supposed this would also be useful if you want a Nexus 7 install, but are scared of theft). So, I decided to make it easily removable. It's still a little bit ghetto and I have some refinements to make, but I made the center bezel even easier to remove, and made the Nexus easily removable from the center bezel so I can just grab it and throw it in my bag.

To do: Gotta put some foam or something on the bottom right corner, as removing the clips has made that part rattle.

Removing the Nexus 7 from the bezel:
[ame]http://youtu.be/FTrHHNfmKB8[/ame]

Showing how easy it is to remove/install the bezel:
[ame]http://youtu.be/3rNfmTNhuUo[/ame]

Showing that it stays in, but is still easy enough to remove with one hand:
[ame]http://youtu.be/5aGYIhBEtJQ[/ame]

Install process-

Bought a new bezel to screw around with. First had to cut off the top clip.

Next I removed the white clips from the bezel, then used plastics bonder to glue a neodymium magnet to the top and two metal brackets to the sides.

This is the kind of ghetto part that I need to work on. I stacked more neodymium magnets on top of the glued one to extend the reach. Those stick to a screw in the console and hold the bezel in. This actually works, but isn't super elegant. I also wrapped the brackets in electrical tape and covered some card stock in electrical tape and taped it to the inner edges to cover the small gap and to act as guides for the Nexus when it's being slid in.

Looks like this with the Nexus inserted:

And this is my main music interface, which is temporary since I'm waiting for Timur to release his ROM for the 2nd gen Nexus 7 before doing a whole lot more work on it:

Last edited by Prog; 03-10-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prog For This Useful Post:
CxG (04-07-2017), DAEMANO (03-10-2014), phanguy (03-08-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 11:21 PM   #2
phanguy

Drives: Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog View Post
A while back I did a Nexus 7 install, and with much help from these forums and @phanguy (probably would've given up on this without you, haha), I was able to get a good test install in my car. But since I live in Louisiana, I needed to deal with the whole "extremely hot summer" thing, meaning the Nexus can't stay in the car since it could stop working/catch on fire/explode/etc. So, I decided to make it easily removable. It's still a little bit ghetto and I have some refinements to make, but I made the center bezel even easier to remove, and made the Nexus easily removable from the center bezel so I can just grab it and throw it in my bag.

Removing the Nexus 7 from the bezel:

Showing how easy it is to remove/install the bezel:

Showing that it stays in, but is still easy enough to remove with one hand:

Install process-

Bought a new bezel to screw around with. First had to cut off the top clip.

Next I removed the white clips from the bezel, then used plastics bonder to glue a neodymium magnet to the top and two metal brackets to the sides.

This is the kind of ghetto part that I need to work on. I stacked more neodymium magnets on top of the glued one to extend the reach. Those stick to a screw in the console and hold the bezel in. This actually works, but isn't super elegant. I also wrapped the brackets in electrical tape and covered some card stock in electrical tape and taped it to the inner edges to cover the small gap and to act as guides for the Nexus when it's being slid in.

Looks like this with the Nexus inserted:

And this is my main music interface, which is temporary since I'm waiting for Timur to release his ROM for the 2nd gen Nexus 7 before doing a whole lot more work on it:
Looks great! I have a similar idea for mine with magnets but haven't gotten around to it yet. And I'm waiting on Timur's new ROM as well! Haha

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
phanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phanguy For This Useful Post:
Prog (03-08-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 04:23 AM   #3
ucsmfu

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanguy View Post
Looks great! I have a similar idea for mine with magnets but haven't gotten around to it yet. And I'm waiting on Timur's new ROM as well! Haha

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
will Timur release a new rom for 2nd gen Nexus 7 ?
ucsmfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
Trashed675

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsmfu View Post
will Timur release a new rom for 2nd gen Nexus 7 ?
Yes, its in the works right now. Release date says May.

https://timur.mobi/timurs-kernel-n7-2013/
Old 03-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #5
z3ro
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
i thought it was already done, you just had to donate to get it before May?
z3ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #6
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
What route did you go for audio and charging?
Old 03-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
Prog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
What route did you go for audio and charging?
Audio is using the aux port and charging is via a USB cigarette lighter adapter in the glovebox. Once Timur's 2nd gen ROM comes out, audio will be through the USB port via a USB DAC that I already have.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:04 PM   #8
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Audio is using the aux port and charging is via a USB cigarette lighter adapter in the glovebox. Once Timur's 2nd gen ROM comes out, audio will be through the USB port via a USB DAC that I already have.
Do you have a single DIN installed elsewhere?

Also, has anyone told you that you could be a hand model?
Andrew025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #9
Prog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
Do you have a single DIN installed elsewhere?

Also, has anyone told you that you could be a hand model?
Single DIN is behind the Nexus in the car.

And no, hahahaha.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #10
Trashed675

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
What is the advantage of the usb dac over bt or aux?

Also when I tried using aux-> my head unit, while the tablet was plugged into the 12v, I'd get interference. A whining noise that would get higher pitch the higher I revved the engine. Have you come across this?
Old 03-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #11
Prog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashed675 View Post
What is the advantage of the usb dac over bt or aux?

Also when I tried using aux-> my head unit, while the tablet was plugged into the 12v, I'd get interference. A whining noise that would get higher pitch the higher I revved the engine. Have you come across this?
I tried Bluetooth with my phone and my Nexus paired to it, and it would constantly switch between devices for no apparent reason. If the Nexus were the only thing paired to it, that might've worked, but I don't feel like removing the Nexus to switch to the correct device every time I get in the car.

You can *mostly* get rid of interference with a ground loop isolator. If you stop/pause your music, there will still be a slight whine, but when the music is on, there is no issue. A USB DAC will amplify the sound so the head unit won't have to be turned up so loud, and should potentially make the whine completely disappear (though I'd defer to others who have actually tried this). For reference, if I plug my iPhone in and put my head unit on a volume setting of 10, that's about the equivalent of putting the aux for the Nexus on 30 and setting the Nexus' system volume at about halfway (so I can control the sound from the Nexus and still be able to make it higher and lower if I want). Because the volume is at 30 on my head unit, I think it's amplifying interference and making it much more noticeable. DAC *should* resolve that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Prog For This Useful Post:
Trashed675 (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #12
phanguy

Garage
Quote:
I tried Bluetooth with my phone and my Nexus paired to it, and it would constantly switch between devices for no apparent reason. If the Nexus were the only thing paired to it, that might've worked, but I don't feel like removing the Nexus to switch to the correct device every time I get in the car.

You can *mostly* get rid of interference with a ground loop isolator. If you stop/pause your music, there will still be a slight whine, but when the music is on, there is no issue. A USB DAC will amplify the sound so the head unit won't have to be turned up so loud, and should potentially make the whine completely disappear (though I'd defer to others who have actually tried this). For reference, if I plug my iPhone in and put my head unit on a volume setting of 10, that's about the equivalent of putting the aux for the Nexus on 30 and setting the Nexus' system volume at about halfway (so I can control the sound from the Nexus and still be able to make it higher and lower if I want). Because the volume is at 30 on my head unit, I think it's amplifying interference and making it much more noticeable. DAC *should* resolve that.
Spot on. DAC completely resolves that issue. My only problem now is that the DAC I have sucks up a lot of power and my tablet can't charge faster than what I lose when I'm not in my car... This should be resolved by Timur's new kernel. Although I could probably fix it with a DAC that uses external power.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:49 PM   #13
CxG

Drives: Pearl White '13 ZN6
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
THIS, I'VE BEEN LOOKING EVERYWHERE FOR THIS. Bump for a clean way to install a nexus 7 behind the dash
CxG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:54 PM   #14
phanguy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CxG View Post
THIS, I'VE BEEN LOOKING EVERYWHERE FOR THIS. Bump for a clean way to install a nexus 7 behind the dash
no real clean way to do it unless you are ready to learn(or already know how) to fabricate custom dash pieces. this is what i did when i left the nexus 7 and went to an ipad mini install.
The Following User Says Thank You to phanguy For This Useful Post:
CxG (04-20-2017)