follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 07-02-2014, 06:02 PM   #1
marcoaferrer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dat Stock Lyph & The Road to Less Slow

The history of my bae:

My goal, a daily driven FRS that doesn't call attention from every dam popo near bye and is still comfortable and exciting to drive.

Exterior
Limited Edition Scion exclusive paint chips
Limited Edition Scion exclusive Door ding
LED Dynamics RGB DRLs / WIFI Controller (With WOW mode)
HRITuning Aero Sticker (reduces drag)

Interior
WeatherTech Floor Mats w/ DiodeDynamics logo insert
P3 Car Gauge w/ Wired in FlexFuel input
Euro GT86 Armrest
eBay Backup Camera wired into OEM Headunit
Limited Edition Scion exclusive Alcantara-ISH cloth seats
Limited Edition Scion exclusive Manual AC Control Hub (lasts longer than crappy digital ac controls)
Limited Edition Scion exclusive Plastic speaker covers (enhance bass tone from stereo)

Engine
Torque Solutions rear shifter bushing / Whiteline Tranny mount insert
Subaru Performance 2.1in OP/DP Combo (Increase flow restriction)
Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley
Perrin 3in Resonated Catback
FBM Catch Can / Battery Tie down
Moto-East FlexFuel Kit
FIC 540 Injectors
DW65C Fuel Pump
Vortech Rotating Engine Sausage
Turbo Smart Kompact Dual Port Sausage Relief Valve

To Come:
A clutch that doesn’t feel like mashed potatoes & gravy

Last edited by marcoaferrer; 07-02-2014 at 08:07 PM.
marcoaferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marcoaferrer For This Useful Post:
BMA (07-02-2014), Sportsguy83 (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
marcoaferrer

So after my old prelude crapped out on me I was in search of a new car. I believe in love at first sight so it was hard for me to find a car that I could enjoy and be happy spending the next few years of my life with. Then I saw the FRS. Our love was taboo due to my strong dislike for Toyota for many years, but I gave her a chance. Yes I’m a massive hypocrite.

I picked up my new bae on my birthday

Then I decided to lay out my game plan.

So when I bought my new toy I promised myself one thing if I were to buy any mods for they had to be under one condition. If it doesn’t make you faster then I’m not spending money on it. (Too many pointless mods I regret on my old car lol)

Two weeks pass I found myself at the Year of the boosted 86 meet here in soflo. I didn’t know a single douche there lol.

At the meet I managed to get a torque solutions rear shifter bushing for 10 bucks from some guy that won it in the raffle. He couldn’t use it cause it he drives an s2k so score for me

So I decided if I was going to go through the hell of being under the car I might as well make it worth my while.

I ordered some Motul Gear 300 to change out the tranny and diff fluids as well as a Whiteline Transmission mount insert.

Last edited by marcoaferrer; 07-02-2014 at 07:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to marcoaferrer For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
marcoaferrer

While changing the diff fluid I made a new friend

Frank (yes I named him) decided to disappear before I could finish changing the fluids but he will always live on in my heart.

At the end of the day the shifter had a night and day difference in feel and response. I would recommend it to anyone.

Next up was some comfort. I NEEDED A F**KING ARMREST. I caved in and ordered on for a Toyota dealer in the UK. Shipping was pretty quick.

After that I realized that the oem floor mats were getting raped by my sneakers. It was time to get some weathertech mats. One of the best purchases Ive made for the car by far. Here in south florida we get at least 16 feet of rain on a weekly basis so I figured it would be a good investment. I saw the custom mat badges from diode dynamics slapped those on as well.

You can sorta get a look at them in this pic.

Last edited by marcoaferrer; 07-02-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Sportsguy83 (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
marcoaferrer

Tax return time came so I started to plan some mods.

This car is my DD so I made it a point to try to keep the ride comfortable and NVH and low as possible. My last car was like riding pogo stick at a metal concert. (Shitty suspension choice / slammed life and an exhaust that could summon Thor)

My plan for this car WAS to stick with being NA until I could get some money together for boost. I wanted to make whatever mods I did do while NA would benefit me once I did go FI.

I was looking for something that would make a noticeable difference performance wise. I was really looking at bang for buck at this point. I decided to go with a drop in filter for the intake. As far as exhaust this time around I wanted to stick with something quite so I went with the Perrin 3in Resonated Catback. I decided to skip front pipe and headers (I skipped headers because I still hadn’t made up my mind on whether or not I wanted to go SC or turbo) .

In the spirit of trying to keep things as clean as possible and not half assing anything I ran into a problem. I did not want that ugly ass flexfuel display anywhere in my car. So I called up moto east since I was still waiting on my order and asked if he could switch the FF analyzer from my kit from the ECA1 that includes a built in display to the ECA2 which not only doesn’t include a display but is $80 cheaper. So with the extra 80 bucks I pitched in the difference and ordered a Perrin lightweight crank pulley.

But now I needed a display.

My plan was to wire the ECA2 to a P3 vent gauge. This way I could check e content when I needed to and not have to have an eye sore in the car.

Order a p3 gauge from PTuning and everything worked out perfectly.

Overall I was pretty happy with the choices I made. No regrets and the tune I had from Moto East was keeping me happy. Until that faithful day…

A few weeks later I ran into a deal that I couldn’t pass up. A vortech kit at a price so low that if I were to have just flipped it I could have made a good chunk of money.

The dude made the switch to turbo and wanted to unload the kit since it was taking up space in his garage. So I fondled every sausage in a 10 mile radius until I got the cash together. Then I got ready for my FI adventure.

Last edited by marcoaferrer; 07-02-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Sportsguy83 (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
marcoaferrer

Now for the catch. 90% of the bolts were missing.

Funny part is this didn’t bother me. The price of the kit justified me having to hunt down the hardware. This wasn’t as big a deal as it seems. All I did was get a list of the hardware from the install manual and send to it to a hardware company nearby. I was able to put it on the company tab because the hardware was sizes that were regularly used at my job.

Two days later and boom a box shows up on my desk with every nut and bolt labeled by size that I would possibly need.

Next came the install.

I couldn’t be left without a car so the marathon started on a Saturday with the hopes on being finish by Sunday night.

I started saturday afternoon.

The install wasn’t difficult but like how everyone else says there was a ton of little shits that had to be done.

I stayed up till 2, woke up at 7am on Sunday spent a few hours buttoning everything up. Ran into a couple of snags with the base map (my email was acting up). HRI Tuning got me squared away. I flashed the base map took it around the block. Everything seemed good so me and my girl jumped in the car and left on a 3.5 hour drive to Orlando to HRI so master James could work his magic. Shitty part was I had to switch back to pump gas. Since I didn’t have injectors or a fuel pump.

10pm comes around and James finished up the tune and I was happier than a pig in shit. It was like a finish line at the end of a marathon.

Now to make the 3.5 hour drive home so I could make to it work the next day (late to work but who gaf)

I found myself driving a little bit faster on my way home

Last edited by marcoaferrer; 07-02-2014 at 07:20 PM.
jamesm (07-03-2014), Sportsguy83 (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #6
marcoaferrer

I hadn’t even been supercharged for 3 days when suddenly I get a message from the dude that sold me the kit. He was upgrading his fuel system and asked if I wanted his old injectors and fuel pump for 300 bucks. It was like a dream come true. When sold me the kit he included the 3.125 pulley so if bought the fuel upgrades from him not only would I be able to up the boost but then I could switch back to da corrrrnn.

I told him hell yes and started getting for my next trip up to HRI.

In the meantime while I was waiting to receive the injectors (he was still waiting to receive his new ones) I ordered the FBM catch can.

I couldn’t wait to install it so I installed the half that didn’t require removing the ac compressor as soon as I got home that night.

I also decided to replace the dinky wingnuts on the vortech airbox.

I put a breather filter on the other line and left it for the weekend.

Last edited by marcoaferrer; 07-02-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Sportsguy83 (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #7
marcoaferrer

Weekend came and I decide to clamp down the vacuum lines under the intake manifold while I finished installing the catch can.

Moving the ac compressor out of the way gave me enough room to cap them just like @Sportsguy83 said.

All done

There was a local dyno night and a bunch of the local 86 douches were there. Watched sportsguy83 put down some nice numbers and alpine troll hard with 2 pulls at 299.99whp

I had my fingers crossed for 230 since I only had a catback exhaust & the stock vortech kit.

Before I got on the dyno alpine reminded to turn on the doge ware if I wanted peak power. I also changed my license plate frame. (good for 15whp)
The results wowed me….

After much celebrating I needed to do another run without dogeware.

I did better than I expected

Last edited by marcoaferrer; 07-02-2014 at 07:32 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marcoaferrer For This Useful Post:
alpine (07-02-2014), jamesm (07-03-2014), Sportsguy83 (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 07:21 PM   #8
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Love the thread!! It's so you!!
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
marcoaferrer (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #9
marcoaferrer

Took a Friday night to go drifting for the first time with @alpine in the middle of nowhere. Most people would pass on being dragged out to the middle of the everglades to an empty parking lot by someone they haven’t known for that long. But I figured “f**k it why would anyone try to rape me”

Luckily alpine isn’t one of those kind of rapists so the night was pretty bad ass.
Heres @alpine acting like a whore for those weary rest stop truckers.

Finally I got my pump and injectors in the mail. And it was the same drill. Get everything installed on sat drive to Orlando on Sunday. Make it home for work the next day.
Then things got complicated. I promised sportsguy and alpine that Ill mod there boomerangs to be brighter on that Saturday. Modding the boomerangs took longer than expected and I was running out of time. Sportsguy installed my fuel pump for me while I worked on his head lights and that pretty much saved my ass. The next morning I still needed to swap the injectors, swap the pulley and flash my new base map to make the drive to Orlando.

Once I get to Orlando and we started dialing in the injectors my luck turns south. F**KING FLORIDA RAIN.

We get the injectors dialed in anyways and all the partial throttle done but could do any WOT pull and tune for power. I would just lose traction at anything about 3k rpm. It was getting late so we said to hell with it and decided to finish tuning for power via data logs.

I get back home and spent the next couple days getting the tune dialed in for power. With each revision my smile got bigger and bigger.

I couldn’t be happier with James work.

Last edited by marcoaferrer; 07-02-2014 at 07:59 PM.
jamesm (07-03-2014), Sportsguy83 (07-03-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 07:30 PM   #10
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoaferrer View Post

Two weeks pass I found myself at the Year of the boosted 86 meet here in soflo. I didn’t know a single douche there lol.

Who u calling a douche bro???? I am in that pic and @jamesm.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
jamesm (07-03-2014), marcoaferrer (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #11
marcoaferrer

Couple more weeks pass and a friend of mine who is a photographer needs some cars for his portfolio. I called up the sluts and told them to be ready by 7am on Sunday. Mind you it hadn’t stopped raining for weeks here so basically we had to wash our cars and pray it didn’t rain over night. It didn’t stop raining at my house until 7pm so I wasn’t done detailing till about 10.

Im OCD so I can get carried away pretty easily when it comes to cleaning my car.

So I decided to vacuum the engine bay…..

The night passed and no rain
We all met up in ft Lauderdale and my buddy got started.

Last edited by marcoaferrer; 07-02-2014 at 07:59 PM.
#maverick# (07-02-2014), Sportsguy83 (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #12
marcoaferrer

More pics

Not even of my car but still one of my favorite shots

Last edited by marcoaferrer; 07-02-2014 at 07:48 PM.
jamesm (07-03-2014), Sportsguy83 (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #13
alpine
Not what you think

Drives: 718 GTS 4.0
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alpine For This Useful Post:
akahenry (07-07-2014), Sportsguy83 (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 07:54 PM   #14
marcoaferrer

alpine (07-02-2014), Sportsguy83 (07-02-2014)