follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-08-2016, 04:27 PM   #1
ButeraFRS

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Musicians? (Post your Instruments)

A quick search brought a dated thread with not too many posts. I wanna see some instruments from fellow 86 drivers owners (bass guitars don't count Just kidding)

I've been playing guitar for over 10 years, was taught for the first couple years then I stopped taking lessons and went on to teach myself harder stuff (learning bands like ABR, Texas in July, Protest the Hero etc.). Recently I've settled down. Playing a little more John Mayer, Pink Floyd, RHCP type stuff. trying to write some music along with that.

My first guitar was a piece of cardboard with elastic strings.

My second guitar came out of a Peavey Raptor starter pack

My third guitar was an Ibanez RG42DFX

Great guitar, it was neck through with a very fast and thin neck. Very versatile as well.

My fourth guitar was an RGD 320

Longer scale, kept it in Drop C tuning.

Traded in the last two guitars to get this about a year ago:
Fender Deluxe player's Strat. Made in Mexico but has American Noiseless Pickups. For 800 bucks it was a great deal.

Along with that are my Pearl Target drums, Self taught for about 5 or 6 years now. Maybe more.

I'm in the market, over the summer, to get myself a proper head and cab setup. I was looking at orange but we'll see. I'll most likely bring my guitar to some stores and test out the amps.

I wanna see what some of you guys have.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm way to lazy to dig my stuff out of the closet. The whole apartment life killed my playing. I haven't really jammed in 4-5 years. I still fiddle around, though it isn't much fun with headphones. Someday I'll get a house and make a dedicated room. It's amzing on how fast your technique drops after not playing the memory is still there but, the dicipline isn't.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:00 PM   #3
Vampyre

Drives: 2014 FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
This is my little music room that I have. 94 black label Tele, 03 Epiphone SG, and an Ibanez AX32, Vox AC50CP2 amp (loud as hell), and the little grey box on the amp is a 1 watt tube amp. I can crank it into the cab of the Vox. I have a couple of pedal kits around that I have built.

Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:07 PM   #4
ButeraFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyre View Post
This is my little music room that I have. 94 black label Tele, 03 Epiphone SG, and an Ibanez AX32, Vox AC50CP2 amp (loud as hell), and the little grey box on the amp is a 1 watt tube amp. I can crank it into the cab of the Vox. I have a couple of pedal kits around that I have built.

Wow nice stuff. I played a Vox at a music store and the warm tone I got from it was unbelievable.

Love the guitars too.

Post a pic of the pedals if you get a chance.
Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2016, 07:08 PM   #5
ButeraFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
I'm way to lazy to dig my stuff out of the closet. The whole apartment life killed my playing. I haven't really jammed in 4-5 years. I still fiddle around, though it isn't much fun with headphones. Someday I'll get a house and make a dedicated room. It's amzing on how fast your technique drops after not playing the memory is still there but, the dicipline isn't.
I'm eventually going to move on my own in a condo (still only 22) and I already dread the fact that I'm going to have to get rid of my drums at that stage of my life.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2016, 08:24 PM   #6
rookie

Drives: 1991 Formula Red NSX
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Been playing saxophone since middle school and these day I play mostly by ear. Recently learned how to play guitar, and have both an acoustic and an electric. I know your usual chords and I'm trying to learn scales. Not great yet and probably won't ever be.
rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:38 PM   #7
ButeraFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie View Post
Been playing saxophone since middle school and these day I play mostly by ear. Recently learned how to play guitar, and have both an acoustic and an electric. I know your usual chords and I'm trying to learn scales. Not great yet and probably won't ever be.
Pick it up an hour a day every day, and you'd be surprised how much you'd learn and how great you'd be even after a month of doing that.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:47 PM   #8
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Learned on Piano, went on to play the guitar. Had an 80's yamaha SE612 and a Zoom Fire 30 modeling amp. Mostly played ragtime on the piano and got the guitar to play stuff like Dire Straits and Floyd. Also hair metal.

No pics of the guitar, but it had "Trouser Snake" engraved next to a crude drawing of a snake. Looks like the previous owner scratched it in with a knife. Best feature of the guitar by far.
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:00 PM   #9
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Grandson has two more of them and son has other two.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2016, 09:14 PM   #10
ButeraFRS

Loving the Cream les paul. Similar to my guitar + the gold hardware. What amps are those plugging into?
Old 04-08-2016, 09:32 PM   #11
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

College doorm room during Def Leppard and Pink Floyd days.

Here's me playing through webcam 2012 courtesy of Sky. I was skinny. This is when I was trying to get at Sky and she wouldnt go out wih me, so id serenade her through webchat with Eddie Van Halen and Guns n Roses songs. I think I was attempting at tapping here. Probably failed miserably...

2006. Here I was playing raining blood by Slayer, or some Children of Bodom.

Equipment:

Esp ltd pb 500
Esp ltd ec 1000vb
Lx1e little martin
Jackson/strat Frankenstein custom
??? Forgot guitar name

Slash signature crybaby pedal
Customized hellbabe pedal by beringer
Metal core pedal
Had a multipedal but roomy traded for bag of herbs
Marshal halfstack from 1978 (?) Which we dropped of off a moving car.... yeah...
Fender practice amp 30w
15w line 6 amp (currently use)
Forgot what else...

Used to have epi les paul custom from 1996 (lost in bet)
Fender strat (broke?)
Old 04-08-2016, 09:33 PM   #12
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButeraFRS View Post
Loving the Cream les paul. Similar to my guitar + the gold hardware. What amps are those plugging into?
The Les Paul is actually "alpine white" but is 25 years old and has sort of yellowed. It is a common thing with them. My son was pissed (he wants to take it) and accused me of smoking in the house. I haven't in 20 years but he didn't believe me and started searching. Sure enough the white ones all yellowed with age.

Amps:
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2016, 09:36 PM   #13
ButeraFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
Used to have epi les paul custom from 1996 (lost in bet)
Woah...

Also I was looking at that LTD at a music store in your first picture when I was purchasing a guitar about a year ago. Thing looks nice.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:40 PM   #14
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The Les Paul is actually "alpine white" but is 25 years old and has sort of yellowed. It is a common thing with them. My son was pissed (he wants to take it) and accused me of smoking in the house. I haven't in 20 years but he didn't believe me and started searching. Sure enough the white ones all yellowed with age.

Amps:
Wax it yearly and soft polish. It wont yellow. Seen old creamy white strats from before my parents were born (1960s) with still original color. When i asked how they still so colorful, i was answered with wax and polish.