follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #15
Ryuu0u
(=^・ェ・^=)

Drives: 2013 FRS, '08 GSXR 600
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
I did have a rock fly through my open driver's window while driving... I think the Jeep in the lane to my left launched it from under it's tire. I actually heard it ricochet several times before coming to rest in the back seat. It was about 1/2" round. It was freaking loud when it hit the interior plastic (or back window), scared the crap out of me... No damage, though...

I agree this does look suspiciously like an intentional impact. Lonewolf's assessment makes sense, the edge of the glass may be easier to break since the point of impact isn't supported 360°.
I used to have rocks get spit up from trucks and smack the side of my helmet when I rode my gsxr daily. The puncher in OPs picture looks like something came up from a lower angle like it may have been a rock or someone back stroking it with a hammer.
Ryuu0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #16
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It could be any number of things. What comes to my mind is I've known some people that use air guns for less than ideal purposes. But who knows, just use your insurance comprehensive. My experience with Geico glass replacement is fast, free, and well done.
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #87 For This Useful Post:
cdo221 (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #17
gvan1998

Drives: Blue FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
if you parked near grassy area, it could of been lawn mower.
gvan1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #18
nofferman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hard to say from the pictures, but from the shape and size it kind of looks like a flathead screwdriver. Maybe you can see a gouge in the pillar underneath? I don't know much about safety glass, but it would seem fairly to mostly impossible for a launched rock or kamikaze bird to hit it from that angle and do enough damage to spiderweb the entire window like that, but a hard hit on a screwdriver there probably could...

Sorry man, I had the same thing happen to me a number of years ago. Came outside to my alarm going off and my driver's window busted out, but nothing missing. Some people are just jerks...
nofferman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nofferman For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #19
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Yeah I completely agree with @Lonewolf. It does look like someone was trying to break into your car, those a-holes.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M-17 For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #20
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Rocks? Looks like someone tried to pry the window enough to get a jimmy in there and unlock the door... someone was trying to steal your property

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carbonBLUE For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #21
Richard Cranium
Ted

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
The impact point just seems too out of place to be deliberate.

-Your windows aren't tinted enough for someone to not realize breaking the window in that spot wouldn't get them anywhere. Additionally, they would've been able to see in to find the location of the lock/door lever.
-There would be some more markings on door glass edge if it were being pried on, plus I would think the larger span of glass would be less susceptible to the flex and would've shattered before the smaller one.
-If it were a bird, you'd have a dust-print on the glass that would be easily visible.
-If it were thieves, the main window would've been broken

What was parked next to you when you left the vehicle? Service truck? Pick-up with stuff in the bed? For the thrown rock theory - were they doing lawn maintenance this day? Were you parked anywhere near grassy areas where some sort of debris could've been launched your direction?

My theory is someone was parked next you and getting something out of their back seat, truck bed, whatever...they poked your window with something - the corner of a box, a shovel, a pipe, etc. or a rock got launched from a mower.

Just my thought process & $.02 for what it's worth.

Any word on the possible video footage?
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Cranium For This Useful Post:
cdo221 (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #22
Septic

Drives: FRS Whiteout AT
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Looking at the first photo, it appears the gasket between the operable window / fix window is depressed as if a lot of pressure was applied to it. Appears like vandalism.
Septic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Septic For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #23
Richard Cranium
Ted

Drives: Raven FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septic View Post
Looking at the first photo, it appears the gasket between the operable window / fix window is depressed as if a lot of pressure was applied to it. Appears like vandalism.
I won't disagree that the gasketing appears a bit out of place or that it may be vandalism, but this was an impact, no question. There's 360 degree webbing and a crater point that's, what, 3/4" from the edge of the glass? If they were prying at the drivers window, how would someone have managed to break this piece in the spot they did and not damage or break the other?

Further, if it were vandals...why break the most inexpensive piece of glass on the car short of the rear-views?

Again, just explaining my thought process given the information at hand. YMMV
Old 05-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #24
CAMBAM_6
CAMBAM

Drives: '13 Whiteout FRS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I doubt it was a thief (unless they are retarted) you cant really get in thru that window, the lock is pretty far forward by the inside handle...not saying its impossible but easier ways..lol...hard to tell what really happened though
CAMBAM_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #25
kioton32

Drives: 14' Monogram FRS, ulramarine, white
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
From my perspective it looks like someone tried breaking out the back glass in order to pop your front window out a little bit and gain entry to your car... Without the back glass there someone could force the window out and have something to push the unlock button.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #26
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septic View Post
exactly...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #27
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
As someone who had to assist with the investigation/prosecution of car thieves...breaking out one of the rear side windows is a very common way to gain access to a vehicle's cab...it seems like too much of a coincidence, especially given the depressions in the window trim as someone pointed out.

Thieves aren't usually the brightest folks, most probably wouldn't even realize that they would be hard-pressed to reach the door handle and unlock the FRS via that rear side window...

One way to know for sure, check the surveillance and report back.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
cdo221 (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #28
cdo221

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S, 2015 RS 1.0
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
One way to know for sure, check the surveillance and report back.
I talked to the security guys today and it sounds like video footage isn't a possibility. The lot isn't completely covered and the camera quality isn't great - the security guy said they'll take a look at the footage and give me a call if they see anything. If I wanted the footage for myself, I would have to go to the police and file a report first. I have my doubts as to whether the security guys will actually go through the footage or not though.

Apparently this happens in the parking lot and the general area around my work a lot and there's not much the security could do about it (limited staffing/funds). They were actually already looking into another car break-in with full window smash/grab - we were thinking it's the same guy(s) that did it. The funny thing is, the other car that was broken into was actually owned by one of the security officers at my work...

I'm not going to spend the time to file a police report, etc. so I guess we might never know if it was a break in attempt or not.

One interesting thing the security guy said, it was kinda different from other car break in he usually sees (and he said he sees em regularly). Instead of a full window smash to grab anything inside the car that is usual in the area, it looked like the thief was probably trying to steal the entire car itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #87 View Post
My experience with Geico glass replacement is fast, free, and well done.
Thanks for this, I didn't realize insurance companies had glass policies. Your post made me read through my policy, turns out my deductible drops from $500 to $100 for glass loss! I was originally going to pay out of pocket for it but maybe I'll end up reporting it to insurance.

The sucky thing about owning the first year model of this car is that there aren't any 3rd party parts available yet. I asked a friend who works at a body shop to help my look up how much it would cost - it's $300 for that quarter panel window - parts only labor not included yet - because I can only get the OEM Toyota/Subaru glass as of today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post

What was parked next to you when you left the vehicle? Service truck? Pick-up with stuff in the bed? For the thrown rock theory - were they doing lawn maintenance this day? Were you parked anywhere near grassy areas where some sort of debris could've been launched your direction?

Any word on the possible video footage?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvan1998 View Post
if you parked near grassy area, it could of been lawn mower.
The area I park doesn't have a lawn - some trees/bushes but no lawn to speak of. Basically just an urban parking lot with trees.

There wasn't any service vehicles parked next to me that I remember. Just regular passenger cars, I remember a smart car on one side, and empty spaces on the other side. That's not to say a maintenance car or similar didn't come by in the middle of the day though. It's definitely possible it was just an accident from somebody else.

Anyway, thanks for the replies everyone.. I wish I could've gotten that video footage so at least I KNOW (and you guys too) what happened or didn't happen. Who knows, maybe I'll get a call from security tomorrow with an update.
cdo221 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdo221 For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (05-16-2013), Septic (05-16-2013)