follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 09-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
bensobox

Drives: Black 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Paint Protection Options

I just purchased my BRZ, and I'm trying to research all of the options to protect my paint. I can't seem to find a complete list of all the possible options.

Can anyone provide a list of the options and how they protect your car? The opticoat and xpel seem to be a coating, while a clear bra is a vinyl applique. I don't see how a clear bra will protect the car's luster since it only covers part of the car. Should one do a coating to protect the entire car? What are the pros and cons to the different options? What are your experiences? Any advise is helpful!
bensobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
MightyMeeple
Slower than Fast

Drives: BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Hey bensobox, welcome to the forums and congrats on the BRZ! I am in your neck of the woods as well.

I have had my BRZ since Feb and wish that I had taken the time to explore these options. It is true what they say about these cars having "soft paint". I don't tailgate other cars, and drive responsibly and carefully when in heavy traffic and the front lower portion of my bumper is almost trashed with nicks and dings. This is my fifth car and I've never experienced this kind of road rash from driving locally.

My understanding is that opticoat/xpel are like you said coatings, where the clear bra is a vinyl material.

I would expect the clear bra to be more durable, but you get the sight lines from where it cuts off. The opticoat/xpel probably don't provide as hardy of protection, and have to be replaced more often, but cover the whole car.

I have no idea what options there are locally for these types of protective options. I would recommend asking the dealership for a recommendation for a local shop that could install.

Good luck!
Old 09-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
OoLong
#TeamAURA

Drives: BRZ Limited Lighting Red '13
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Opti-coat 2.0 is a sealant solution that claims to permanently coats your paint with the duration for at least 1 year. Another way looking at it, it is like adding another layer of clearcoat onto your existing clearcoat.

As for clear bra solutions, they are actual clear vinyl-like material you apply to your hood, bumper, mirrors and anywhere else that you think rock chip damage can or might happen.
Xpel, Suntek and 3M are the popular brands that most people go to. I would check out what your local dealers offer. I would recommend getting it professionally done as the clearbra will last for years to come.

Another, not really new, solution is to use the 3M Paint Spray Defender. It is just like the clearbra solution except it is a little bit thinner but still tough to penetrate through. It is a spray and left dry type of deal, so it is easy for an average weekend warrior to do (although it requires some prep work).
OoLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I went with a clear bra on my front bumper, partial hood, and mirrors. Outside of one small rock chip on the drivers door, the car still looks great. Even with all the construction I drive through all the time. This is the third car I have used a clear bra on and am sold.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Luna

Drives: 08 Scion xB, 13 BRZ Limited
A lot of people will get Opt-Coat and then put a clear bra on the front (if you can afford that). I got Opti-Coat, hoping since we don't have a garage that this will help in keeping it cleaner looking, easier to clean, and gives us a little more time to get water spots, bird doo, and bug guts off before they leave a spot. I would def get clear bra on the front if we could afford that. These cars seem to be cursed with finding debris on the road...
Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
Davesta619

Drives: Brz
If I was to get both, Should i get the opti coat first then clear bra the front end?
Davesta619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
Stierzy34
:unamused:

Drives: 2005 WRB STi "Edna"
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I got a clear bra on the BRZ but did not do it on my previous WRXs. It was absolutely worth it. Like people have said, Subaru paint is thin and after about 2-3 years of normal driving, the front of my WRXs were considerably chipped up. Hopefully with the clear bra, the BRZ will be a bit different.

The price may seem a little high for a clear bra, but for a car like this, it needs one.
Stierzy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
thill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesta619 View Post
If I was to get both, Should i get the opti coat first then clear bra the front end?
Opticoat then clear bra would be my guess.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
Luna

Drives: 08 Scion xB, 13 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesta619 View Post
Yes
Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
bensobox

Drives: Black 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
I went with a clear bra on my front bumper, partial hood, and mirrors. Outside of one small rock chip on the drivers door, the car still looks great. Even with all the construction I drive through all the time. This is the third car I have used a clear bra on and am sold.

Did you do a coating as well? I thought doing a coating in addition to the clear bra would maintain the paint throughout the car and make it easier to clean.
bensobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #11
thill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensobox View Post
Did you do a coating as well? I thought doing a coating in addition to the clear bra would maintain the paint throughout the car and make it easier to clean.
No. I did not opti-coat my car. I thought long and hard about it but went clear bra and this (from the makers of opti-coat):
http://www.optimumcarcare.com/owax.php

It is like $17

My rational is that most of the rock chips will happen on the bumper and then the front of the hood next. I think opti-coat is the real deal but it is expensive and the clear bar on the bumper, partial hood, and mirrors set me back like $600...

The optimum wax is great stuff. Big fan.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #12
Tman08

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
OP, most of these is down to personal preference. Me? I'm getting mine shipped in and not driving it until the detailer removes the shipping protection film, "paint corrects" and Opti-guards.

For the investment of this car, the 650~ is well worth it in my opinion, as I want to know my paint and clear coat is protected from chemicals and other crap.
Tman08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, protection, southeast