follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-16-2019, 04:45 PM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
@strat61caster I have no doubt of what you are saying. I just find it interesting in particular that its the same supplier for such a big discrepency on the final products. It probably is something along the lines of what @Tcoat mentioned. Like I have ridden (on track, I dont randomly ask people to take me to a mcdonnals...) several modded twins and the only thing that was on the same level as the Fortune Autos 510 were RCE double adjustables (Tarmac 2 I think? The ones based on the KW clubsports). Even the KW v3 were "ok" at best on track. BC, Megan, Teins (only tried flex Z, which of course isnt a track coilover), ST, they were all crap. So to think all of those use the same parts, its somewhat surprinsing to me (I knew the FA are made in taiwan but assemble in the US).
People would be shocked if they fully understood how few places actually make the components for different brands of just about anything all around the world. What gets missed or is misunderstood in that most brand name companies now assemble their products they don't "make" them. They buy all the components from the relative handful of actual manufacturing companies put them together and slap their label on it. I always chuckle when the debate comes up of what car company has the better quality parts when I know fully well that most of the OEM parts are made in the same places at the same time following almost identical specs.
eastendraceshop (01-16-2019), Icecreamtruk (01-16-2019), Shark_Bait88 (01-16-2019), strat61caster (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 05:14 PM   #16
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
People would be shocked if they fully understood how few places actually make the components for different brands of just about anything all around the world. What gets missed or is misunderstood in that most brand name companies now assemble their products they don't "make" them. They buy all the components from the relative handful of actual manufacturing companies put them together and slap their label on it. I always chuckle when the debate comes up of what car company has the better quality parts when I know fully well that most of the OEM parts are made in the same places at the same time following almost identical specs.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #17
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,474 Times in 4,995 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
@strat61caster I have no doubt of what you are saying. I just find it interesting in particular that its the same supplier for such a big discrepency on the final products. It probably is something along the lines of what @Tcoat mentioned. Like I have ridden (on track, I dont randomly ask people to take me to a mcdonnals...) several modded twins and the only thing that was on the same level as the Fortune Autos 510 were RCE double adjustables (Tarmac 2 I think? The ones based on the KW clubsports). Even the KW v3 were "ok" at best on track. BC, Megan, Teins (only tried flex Z, which of course isnt a track coilover), ST, they were all crap. So to think all of those use the same parts, its somewhat surprinsing to me (I knew the FA are made in taiwan but assemble in the US).
Did you get the opportunity to tweak the knobs or was it just what the owner thought was best? These things have a big adjustment range. As Racecomp posits there's certainly a lot of ways to miss the mark with the design and installation of the kit taking off the shelf parts and putting them together without any blame being laid on the QC of the manufacturer or the re-brander.

I mean a pushy car could be due to the damping, or the toe or the camber or the sway bar or the tire pressures or the blah blah blah.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-16-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #18
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Did you get the opportunity to tweak the knobs or was it just what the owner thought was best? These things have a big adjustment range. As Racecomp posits there's certainly a lot of ways to miss the mark with the design and installation of the kit taking off the shelf parts and putting them together without any blame being laid on the QC of the manufacturer or the re-brander.

I mean a pushy car could be due to the damping, or the toe or the camber or the sway bar or the tire pressures or the blah blah blah.
No I did not (except for my own car of course). So there's always a chance that their setup was just wrong. By playing with my knobs (the suspension ones, geez people) I realize that while you do affect the behaviour of the car, but it is not as dramatic a change as one might expect, aero (wing angles), spring rates and sway bars have a much much greater effect to how the car reacts than bump and rebound adjustments. Most of the setups I tried were really pushy, to the point where I think nothing short of disconnecting front bar, and running bigger rear bar would bring any kind of balance to the table. Maybe thats just driver preferences of course, I like my car loose.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:06 AM   #19
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlined600 View Post
They have self professed to provide "the best" coilovers, I'd take them at their word.
NICE!! The, "best" for 1/20th to 1/10th the price of the actual best...
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #20
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,474 Times in 4,995 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Most of the setups I tried were really pushy, to the point where I think nothing short of disconnecting front bar, and running bigger rear bar would bring any kind of balance to the table. Maybe thats just driver preferences of course, I like my car loose.
Unless the springs are really wonky I'd think that out of those 32 clicks there's something you can do to fix the pushiness, but a lot of people don't go far enough with alignment sacrificing a ton of front grip by not having more than -3-ish degrees of camber. Or set the car up around sub-par driving (i.e. someone who's too abrupt with the steering or gas would want that rear end stuck down while a smoother driver would find it unbearably pushy). I know on my Megans a few clicks on the back is the difference between locking the rear end down and getting a little bit of tail-out, but they're not an off the shelf setup.

In any case way off the original topic and I'm hypothesizing about shit I don't know about so I'll shut up now.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote