follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 09-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #57
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Thanks for the invite to the One Lap of Florida Hooked on Driving event. Are you planning on doing it? This is the most information I could find on it:

http://www.hookedondriving.com/event...f_Florida_2015

Are co-drivers not required? It doesn't sound like a racing license is required. The Tire Rack One Lap of America is definitely on my bucket list, but this sounds like a nice warm up to that event. These are the rules for that event:

http://www.onelapofamerica.com/rulesForms/ShowRules.do

Quote:
Driver/Crew Eligibility
All participants must be 18 years of age or older and carry a valid driver's license for use on all highways in the continental United States. A minimum of two drivers per car is required. A maximum of four is permitted. All racetrack competitors must submit an outline of his or her driving background. Racing experience or special driving schools (NASA, Bob Bondurant, Skip Barber, Jim Russell, BMW CCA etc.) is required for all on-track competitors. The vehicle, not the crew, is the official entry. Crew members may be subtracted from a vehicle (provided a minimum of two remain on board at all times) but not added. Multi-car teams will not be allowed to swap crews in the event of a retirement, or for any other reason, i.e., the crew that starts the event will stay with the vehicle for the duration.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #58
phastafrican

Drives: 2013 Raven Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Thanks for the invite to the One Lap of Florida Hooked on Driving event. Are you planning on doing it? This is the most information I could find on it:

http://www.hookedondriving.com/event...f_Florida_2015

Are co-drivers not required? It doesn't sound like a racing license is required. The Tire Rack One Lap of America is definitely on my bucket list, but this sounds like a nice warm up to that event. These are the rules for that event:

http://www.onelapofamerica.com/rulesForms/ShowRules.do
Rules haven't been flushed out yet; nonetheless, I'm definitely doing it. Been wanting to do OLoA for a few years now, but struggled to justify the 5k cost and time off without being competitive or having a decent ride. And with a full NASA calendar plus my 4 month baby, doesn't look like I'll be able to do it for a few years, so this is the next best thing.
I've asked for co-driver clarification as well, and how that impacts the cost ($1500 for 4 track days and hotel+food is affordable, especially if it can be split between 2 for a marginal amount more).
Hopefully, it stays close to OLoA rules, since I know those very well. Already lining up event sponsorship applications for up to 50 Florida companies. Would be great to knock off $500 in ad money.
RaceCar:2013 Scion FR-S #986 NASA PTD || Tow:2011 Dodge Durango R/T
phastafrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #59
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phastafrican View Post
Rules haven't been flushed out yet; nonetheless, I'm definitely doing it. Been wanting to do OLoA for a few years now, but struggled to justify the 5k cost and time off without being competitive or having a decent ride. And with a full NASA calendar plus my 4 month baby, doesn't look like I'll be able to do it for a few years, so this is the next best thing.
I've asked for co-driver clarification as well, and how that impacts the cost ($1500 for 4 track days and hotel+food is affordable, especially if it can be split between 2 for a marginal amount more).
Hopefully, it stays close to OLoA rules, since I know those very well. Already lining up event sponsorship applications for up to 50 Florida companies. Would be great to knock off $500 in ad money.
What car will you be using? Since it is a rally, that really puts race cars out of the equation. I was gonna make it a goal to have my S2000 ready for the event. Good idea with the sponsorship. That is definitely something I need to get more informed and better at.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #60
phastafrican

Quote:
What car will you be using? Since it is a rally, that really puts race cars out of the equation. I was gonna make it a goal to have my S2000 ready for the event. Good idea with the sponsorship. That is definitely something I need to get more informed and better at.
For now, the plan is the FR-S since it's still street legal and I don't have any other options (Durango R/T, and Civic my other options.) Would just need a high-flow cat to avoid potential ticket. Cage was built with driving it to shows in mind so inconspicuous and good head clearance all around.

If co-driver's are allowed, the options are significantly opened up. My wife's godfather swaps supercars every month. Last year was a 458, this year is an MP4-12C. My father-in-law and I would just borrow whatever he's got at the time if he's busy and can't do it with me. One of my racing buddies here in Fernandina works at the Dodge dealership (just for fun...) and did say he wanted to do something like that in a Hellcat as a marketing stunt once they get a few on the lot. If he's not doing it with his wife, I'd totally be jumping in with him to release that 707hp of fun.

But the best option right now would be my car so I can add to it's story book.

Asking for money is harder than discounts, but the key is to begin asking everyone and anyone. Takes a little bit of work to research what you can give them, and tie it into the proposal.

Last edited by phastafrican; 09-17-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:52 PM   #61
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phastafrican View Post
For now, the plan is the FR-S since it's still street legal and I don't have any other options (Durango R/T, and Civic my other options.) Would just need a high-flow cat to avoid potential ticket. Cage was built with driving it to shows in mind so inconspicuous and good head clearance all around.

If co-driver's are allowed, the options are significantly opened up. My wife's godfather swaps supercars every month. Last year was a 458, this year is an MP4-12C. My father-in-law and I would just borrow whatever he's got at the time if he's busy and can't do it with me. One of my racing buddies here in Fernandina works at the Dodge dealership (just for fun...) and did say he wanted to do something like that in a Hellcat as a marketing stunt once they get a few on the lot. If he's not doing it with his wife, I'd totally be jumping in with him to release that 707hp of fun.

But the best option right now would be my car so I can add to it's story book.

Asking for money is harder than discounts, but the key is to begin asking everyone and anyone. Takes a little bit of work to research what you can give them, and tie it into the proposal. (Toyo RRs in 235/17 cost me 136ea instead of 226ea after some serious "asking" for sponsorship. That one is more valuable to me that any of my free parts so far).
I would worry about bringing an exotic to an event like that. I mean I know we all like watching Chris Harris drift a 12C or a 458 around some track, but what not everyone knows is they probably have two or three of them ready for him and have a whole team of support people there with the cars. I am just not sure I would trust an exotic to make it through some real track days nor be able to push it the way I would want to. With that being said, I sure wouldn't pass up the chance to do it.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #62
phastafrican

Quote:
I would worry about bringing an exotic to an event like that. I mean I know we all like watching Chris Harris drift a 12C or a 458 around some track, but what not everyone knows is they probably have two or three of them ready for him and have a whole team of support people there with the cars. I am just not sure I would trust an exotic to make it through some real track days nor be able to push it the way I would want to. With that being said, I sure wouldn't pass up the chance to do it.
There's always that risk. It was offered as an option last night when I mentioned it, so I said "hell yea". And knowing him, he'd probably call and have a car ready at the next stop if something were to happen. Florida's easy... I could do it all by myself in the FR-S no problem, so that's what I'm leaning towards... If the car's in one piece between now and then, of course. I'll be bump drafting with E30s at Daytona so it could get ugly. lol
Old 12-10-2014, 08:35 PM   #63
philooo

Drives: 13' Scion FRS Track car
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Emmanuel,

can you post picture of your roll cage bars extending into the footwell ?
Old 12-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #64
phastafrican

Yea, I'll take a pic tomorrow for you
Old 12-11-2014, 07:15 PM   #65
phastafrican

Quote:
Originally Posted by philooo View Post
Emmanuel,

can you post picture of your roll cage bars extending into the footwell ?
Here you go
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2014, 04:40 PM   #66
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Just a quick bump since I just got through reading the build thread.

Quote:
For OLoA, you have to use the same car, same set of tires (1-2 allowed as spares.

It's not really like TT or HPDE, the cars do two sessions (morning/afternoon) of 3 laps at each track. Fastest time counts, so the guys who can put down a fast lap in the morning have a big advantage as they can start the 500 mile or so drive to the next track.

In reality, exotics don't matter. All the guys in the top class are using INSANELY built GT-Rs, and have software tuners with them and tons of data at each track.

At Hallett, year before last, whichever the fastest GT-R was laying down absolutely insane times (down in the 1:11 range IIRC, whereas a top-level Spec Miata would be in 1:28-29 range). The Vette's/Viper's/Porsche's (even the AWD) just can't get the power down like the GT-R does.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:46 PM   #67
phastafrican

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Just a quick bump since I just got through reading the build thread.

For OLoA, you have to use the same car, same set of tires (1-2 allowed as spares.

It's not really like TT or HPDE, the cars do two sessions (morning/afternoon) of 3 laps at each track. Fastest time counts, so the guys who can put down a fast lap in the morning have a big advantage as they can start the 500 mile or so drive to the next track.

In reality, exotics don't matter. All the guys in the top class are using INSANELY built GT-Rs, and have software tuners with them and tons of data at each track.

At Hallett, year before last, whichever the fastest GT-R was laying down absolutely insane times (down in the 1:11 range IIRC, whereas a top-level Spec Miata would be in 1:28-29 range). The Vette's/Viper's/Porsche's (even the AWD) just can't get the power down like the GT-R does.
Yea. OLoA's only real surprise is when the Clemson Sports Car Club civic wins at AutoX against the Prepped GTRs and R8s. I don't get the sense that this Rally Lap of FL will be about competition as it is about a 4 day party on the road. I certainly look to being surprised. Having access to an exotic just makes the trip a more interesting story, but I certainly agree with both schools of thought on the notion that it both a risk and not really an advantage.

Thanks for the bump, I'd forgotten about this already Need to update.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:02 AM   #68
Ryaquinn

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Are you in Florida @phastafrican

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2014, 09:03 AM   #69
phastafrican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryaquinn View Post
Are you in Florida @phastafrican

Yea. Fernandina Beach, just above Jacksonville.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #70
Ryaquinn

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Awesome. I'm in Gainesville. Small world

Tags
fr-s, nasa, ptd, racecar, scion