follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #43
celica73

Drives: '13 BRZ / '11 Outback / '06 Tundra
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
Actually what happened is I had 3 alignments. The one I posted done by myself. And it could not be anymore simple, and you don't need theoretical math to show what has been proven by actually doing what the poster asked: "Do you need to do an alignment after installing camber bolts?" YES

No matter how you want to play devils advocate, you should have an alignment.
Quote:
This is what I did which provides a clear picture:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25001

3 Alignments, OEM, OEM Crash Bolts, then SPC Bolts
1. OEM Alignment to check and correct any issues.
2. Self installed crash bolts, then alignment which again shows the effect of changing camber on toe.
3. Then install of SPC camber bolts, and then an alignment done by myself and friend. Where changing camber had a direct effect on toe. And when getting cross camber corrected, toe still needed to be adjusted via tie rods and then camber slightly adjusted again and back and forth until things were even. Including driver weight.
Do you trust the first two alignments? Based on your post, I wouldn't. If the numbers can't be trusted, then you have a straw man argument. An alignment is only as good as the tech doing the work (as you note in the alignment thread). It seems your last alignment is the only one worth a damn, so you started with a car way out of whack and made it better. Not scientific at all.

Quote:
It's about "variance" in alignment specs. Just because there is a large allowance or range, does not make having toe off from side to side or camber a good alignment. Those who have done any type of racing or performance oriented driving would never accept having -.12 toe on one side and 0 toe on the other.
I agree somewhat. That is very true in the rear, where different toe values side to side will make the car turn differently left vs right. That's bad (unless you are a real racer and are setting up for a particular track - you see real racers often have a side to side variance, even in road racing).

In front though? What *really* happens is the steering wheel self centers and you don't have a real side to side difference. 1/4 inch toe-in on one side and 1/4 in toe-out on the other is still zero total toe. The car will drive straight, turn the same left vs right, it will just have a steering wheel that isn't centered. Fix it with the tie rods or fix it by pulling the steering wheel and centering it. You won't see any difference between the two methods until you get to full steering lock, and you might not see it then.

Quote:
When it comes down to it, when you are changing camber it will almost always effect toe. And if you want a GOOD alignment you need to adjust toe.
Yes, changing camber does effect toe. And depending how you drive that might matter. A GOOD alignment is totally subjective. Half of my alignments in the past 15 years have been in the "red" zone on a Hunter alignment rack. What is good for street isn't always good for autocross/track. I'm pretty much always out of spec on camber, and often on toe as well. Bad alignment for street driving and tire wear, great alignment for turns.

Quote:
Your argument is exactly what I always hear from techs who do a ton of alignments, it's a lot more time and work to get an alignment dialed in evenly.
You need to find better techs. I can suggest some places in NC if you need help in this area.

As for the question in the original post, I still maintain that you can throw on some camber bolts, max out the neg. camber and call it a day. It will be fine for daily driving. I do agree, that at some point an alignment is in order, but the tires aren't going to wear excessively while you figure out what you actually want, and why.
celica73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #44
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by celica73 View Post
Do you trust the first two alignments? Based on your post, I wouldn't. If the numbers can't be trusted, then you have a straw man argument. An alignment is only as good as the tech doing the work (as you note in the alignment thread). It seems your last alignment is the only one worth a damn, so you started with a car way out of whack and made it better. Not scientific at all.

I agree somewhat. That is very true in the rear, where different toe values side to side will make the car turn differently left vs right. That's bad (unless you are a real racer and are setting up for a particular track - you see real racers often have a side to side variance, even in road racing).

As for the question in the original post, I still maintain that you can throw on some camber bolts, max out the neg. camber and call it a day. It will be fine for daily driving. I do agree, that at some point an alignment is in order, but the tires aren't going to wear excessively while you figure out what you actually want, and why.

I was not happy with the first two alignments however, I do not think the values were spoofed.

I do not question your experience, however you have not provided alignments before and after installing camber bolts for this car. I am.

Is this the be all end all? No but it clearly shows that a car that was within factory specs of alignment, WAS NOT after installing the bolts, both OEM and aftermarket.

After installing OEM crash bolts:

TOE
Front Left -0.25
Front Right 0.10

After Installing SPC Camber Bolts

TOE
Front Left -0.12
Front Right -0.23

Are these good alignment values, no. Unacceptable for an enthusiast as well as a dealership doing a to spec alignment. We can argue all day about changes in steering feel, low speed feel, high speed stability of alignments however this is all driver dependent. Again I am trying to answer the question of the poster with data not with guesstimates.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #45
mla163
Overthinking it

Drives: BRZ in CS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I think this thread has lost its way.

OP wants to install Camber bolts.
Camber bolts provide more camber.
You adjust camber and measure by getting an alignment.
Should OP get an alignment?

Yes, you absolutely *want* an alignment. If you are going to the effort of installing something, install it correctly so that the bolts do what they are supposed to do. Do you *need* an alignment? No, but I don't understand why you would install bolts if you were just going to slam the struts all the way in.

The toe change may be minor with camber change, but 1/16" toe in vs. 1/16" toe out can have a big effect on the way a performance car handles.

Camber bolts aside, "factory spec" for an alignment is usually pretty crappy for most cars. Any car out of the box would benefit from a performance alignment.
mla163 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mla163 For This Useful Post:
chulooz (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #46
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mla163 View Post
I think this thread has lost its way.

OP wants to install Camber bolts.
Camber bolts provide more camber.
You adjust camber and measure by getting an alignment.
Should OP get an alignment?

Yes, you absolutely *want* an alignment. If you are going to the effort of installing something, install it correctly so that the bolts do what they are supposed to do. Do you *need* an alignment? No, but I don't understand why you would install bolts if you were just going to slam the struts all the way in.

The toe change may be minor with camber change, but 1/16" toe in vs. 1/16" toe out can have a big effect on the way a performance car handles.

Camber bolts aside, "factory spec" for an alignment is usually pretty crappy for most cars. Any car out of the box would benefit from a performance alignment.
The twist is that I'll be getting sticky tires soon, so I wasn't sure if I would need a second alignment shortly after getting my first alignment. However, it appears that new tires won't affect alignment specs.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #47
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Even if you're running full size bolts, there's enough wiggle room that the alignment won't be the same on both sides, or ideal unless you're REALLY lucky. Just because it's within "spec" doesn't mean it's the same, or good. I think stock front camber spec is 0* +/- 0.8*, that means you could have a net difference of 1.6* between the two sides and still be within spec.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #48
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Exactly right. The range of "within spec" is large and has tons of variance straight from the factory and that's the real problem. "Within spec" can be quite shitty, if you are lucky maybe not. But who knows until it is on an alignment t rack. I would recommend an alignment even without the bolts! If you are going to the trouble of putting them on do it right and get an alignment.
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:25 AM   #49
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mla163 View Post
No, but I don't understand why you would install bolts if you were just going to slam the struts all the way in.
Because you want as much camber as you can get? I got -2.2 on both sides, I would like more still but can't get it with my current setup

Also, the camber bolts changed my toe exactly 0.00 degrees. YMMV.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
celica73 (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 01:31 AM   #50
ayau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Because you want as much camber as you can get? I got -2.2 on both sides, I would like more still but can't get it with my current setup

Also, the camber bolts changed my toe exactly 0.00 degrees.
I have the SPC camber bolts on order. I'm guessing those will give a little more camber than the OEM crash bolts; plus they're easier to adjust.

But yeah, realistically, you probably can't get anything more than -2.2 on the camber bolts and lowered springs. I'm guessing you'll need camber plates if you want to get -3.0 or more camber. @CSG Mike is currently running that setup.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:51 AM   #51
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
I have the SPC camber bolts on order. I'm guessing those will give a little more camber than the OEM crash bolts; plus they're easier to adjust.

But yeah, realistically, you probably can't get anything more than -2.2 on the camber bolts and lowered springs. I'm guessing you'll need camber plates if you want to get -3.0 or more camber. @CSG Mike is currently running that setup.
I'm using whiteline top hats and the crash bolts to get to -2.2, I'd only be around -1.1 or so without the top hats

I'll be running threaded body coilovers soon with plates so I'll be going to -3.0 up front initially.
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Old 01-03-2013, 01:56 AM   #52
ayau

Quote:
I'm using whiteline top hats and the crash bolts to get to -2.2, I'd only be around -1.1 or so without the top hats

I'll be running threaded body coilovers soon with plates so I'll be going to -3.0 up front initially.
Are most coilovers threaded with a bigger slot?
Old 01-03-2013, 01:59 AM   #53
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
Are most coilovers threaded with a bigger slot?
You mean at the strut to knuckle/upright mount? Many are. I'm not sure if the Eibachs are, but between the crash bolts (or other camber bolts) and the camber plates up top I'll have more than enough camber adjustment. I'll max out what I can at the bottom so I can make easy adjustments at the top during alignments, etc.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:03 AM   #54
ayau

Quote:
You mean at the strut to knuckle/upright mount? Many are. I'm not sure if the Eibachs are, but between the crash bolts (or other camber bolts) and the camber plates up top I'll have more than enough camber adjustment. I'll max out what I can at the bottom so I can make easy adjustments at the top during alignments, etc.
Yeah. Now we just need to figure out how to easily adjust the rear camber without having to install those Whiteline bushings or a rear lower control arm.

Getting camber in the rear doesn't seem to be a problem as lowering the car will gain you a lot of negative camber in the rear; it's fine tuning/balancing both sides that seems to be the issue.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:06 AM   #55
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
Yeah. Now we just need to figure out how to easily adjust the rear camber without having to install those Whiteline bushings or a rear lower control arm.

Getting camber in the rear doesn't seem to be a problem as lowering the car will gain you a lot of negative camber in the rear; it's fine tuning/balancing both sides that seems to be the issue.
Pretty much
Old 01-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #56
celica73

Drives: '13 BRZ / '11 Outback / '06 Tundra
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Also, the camber bolts changed my toe exactly 0.00 degrees. YMMV.
That's unpossible!
celica73 is offline   Reply With Quote